How to build a co2 regulator [56k!] - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #61
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Just curious as to if I've steered anyone wrong. Of if anyone has any un-answered questions I might be able to help with.
Well, after reading this my head was spinning and I decided it is way too complicated and expensive to pursue CO2. I think I need to take some Advil my head hurts so much. Great write up though and for those that are interested enough and have the cash and technical skill it is on point. Now off to get some meds for this headache. I think any even slight inclination to try CO2 was put to bed after this.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #62
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Well, after reading this my head was spinning and I decided it is way too complicated and expensive to pursue CO2. I think I need to take some Advil my head hurts so much. Great write up though and for those that are interested enough and have the cash and technical skill it is on point. Now off to get some meds for this headache. I think any even slight inclination to try CO2 was put to bed after this.
Oh c'mon, it wasn't that bad.

LOL
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #63
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Yes it was! And for reference I crunch numbers and create dashboard reports and analyze data for a living. LOL
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 AM   #64
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
Yes it was! And for reference I crunch numbers and create dashboard reports and analyze data for a living. LOL
No problem. Just let oldpunk sell you a setup and put it all together for you. Then all you need to do is install it on your own CO2 tank and drop a good diffuser into your tank.

Not much harder than playing with Lego blocks, only you use wrenches to hook 'em together.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #65
maduro80
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Does anyone know if the Clippard ET-2M-24-H will work? It's listed as low pressure, high flow (hence the H.) There is also an L version (low flow.) The regular ET-2M-24 that everyone seems to use says neither on the Clippard site. Thoughts??
maduro80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #66
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

They just have different orifice sizes. The 'L' version is actually the medium flow model and the ET-2M-24 is the lower flow model. The ET-2M-24, ET-2M-24-L and ET-2M-24-H will all work.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #67
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Even with with pressure set to 30+psi (which would be necessary for an Atomic-style diffuser), the -H model will *probably* work, but it's only rated to 25psi. The standard and -L models are rated to 105 and 50psi, respectively. For some reason the info at Clippard.com doesn't show this, but if you click the link to the catalog page, you'll see it at the bottom of the page.

Be aware that those are mounted versions, so in case you're checking Evilbay and not the Clippard site, you'll still have to order a mount from Clippard, in which case you're better off buying straight from them. There's no price difference between the standard, -L, and -H, so just get the standard. An example of an inline (not mounted version) would be ET-2-24 rather than ET-2M-24. The main advantage to a mount, for our purposes, is that the inlet is 1/8" NPT, so it's a bit sturdier than a non-mounted version, which has a 10-32 inlet.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #68
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

^ I'm glad you helped here. I just looked it up on Clippard's site and thought that the 105spi rating for all three looked weird. Now I remember why. There are actually a bunch of typos like this on their site. I should have remembered.

Last edited by oldpunk78; 01-10-2012 at 01:43 AM..
Old 01-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #69
maduro80
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks, that clears that up nicely. Just wanted to know the difference before ordering.
maduro80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #70
Aftica
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Often when you get one of these 2 stage regulators there is a manual shut off valve on the low pressure side already installed.

Pretty well every build thread I have seen... it is absent. Anyone leave it on, and just build off of that with thier solenoid and needle valve etc...?
Aftica is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #71
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

There's no reason you can't leave it on. I remove them because its just an unnecessary part. It might be useful if you don't have a solenoid.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #72
Aftica
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
There's no reason you can't leave it on. I remove them because its just an unnecessary part. It might be useful if you don't have a solenoid.
Ok cool - just kinda figured it would be handy to have a cutoff for those "What if" moments LOL...
Aftica is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #73
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftica View Post
Often when you get one of these 2 stage regulators there is a manual shut off valve on the low pressure side already installed.

Pretty well every build thread I have seen... it is absent. Anyone leave it on, and just build off of that with thier solenoid and needle valve etc...?
the 212 look really nice, here is a couple pictures of the build

Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #74
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

and good news to you who want a quality setup, oldpunk is getting ready back to business again.

I am not be able to take any new orders recently, due to busy personal working schedule, work almost 70 hours every week and barely have time to stay home. So I contacted oldpunk and wanted him back to the business so he could build setups for the fellow hobbyists, got negative answer initially but now he just contact me, and he is ready.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #75
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice informal thread.
Drewsplantednutz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.