How to build a co2 regulator [56k!] - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #256
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Hey Oldpunk, what about the CGA320? Did you have to get an adapter for that too? Or did it look like this:

That a 946/970 series, the AK-47 as I like to call it. I took a look at the pdf on VCR and it was like reading french. I understood some of it, what made me close the pdf was taking a look at the price. Oh forgot to ask, with that thin welding fitting on the 320, is the weight not a concern?
From the regulator, I went:

1/4 vcr to 1/4 npt adapter to regular cga-320 nipple. The do make cga parts with vcr connections but they are expensive.

I personally feel that the vcr tube is strong enough to just hold the reg's weight but perhaps not if you knocked it over. If it did break upon getting knocked over, you'd have the entire force of your cylinder spewing from the break. (Not good)
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #257
AlanLe
Gurus Master

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
Here:

^ See this connection. This is what's covered up by that blue piece in the photo. That's a VCR connection. What makes the seal here is a metal gasket sandwiched between two ends that press into it. It makes a very good seal. The adapters I found weren't any more than other stainless fitting on [Ebay Link Removed] Retail, they are a lot more. The gauges are also not cheap.
By the way how do you distinguish between NPT and VCR ports just by looking at the unit? The OEM's pdf does not clearly state the port.
AlanLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 AM   #258
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You can tell by the metal welding tube, they have another funny name for it. If it doesn't come with anything, you have to look at the port. If it doesn't look like NPT, you got VCR. You know the VCR gauges alone will cost you the same as another normal NPT style regulator?

So I actually agree with Kevmo, you can get yourself a normal regulator and find parts in Home depot. Starting off with a regulator with VCR tubing is pretty hardcore, not to mention the cost of parts if you ever needed to replace something.

You won't even notice the difference, beside the fact that you will have an amazing beautiful regulator.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #259
AlanLe
Gurus Master

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default How to build a co2 regulator [56k!]

Quote:
You can tell by the metal welding tube, they have another funny name for it. If it doesn't come with anything, you have to look at the port. If it doesn't look like NPT, you got VCR. You know the VCR gauges alone will cost you the same as another normal NPT style regulator?

So I actually agree with Kevmo, you can get yourself a normal regulator and find parts in Home depot. Starting off with a regulator with VCR tubing is pretty hardcore, not to mention the cost of parts if you ever needed to replace something.

You won't even notice the difference, beside the fact that you will have an amazing beautiful regulator.
It's just the matter of getting the right parts. The money is the issue. I have to ask myself is it worth it? I just asked the seller if he can sell 2 for $140. I'll have to pass it if he doesnt agree.
AlanLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #260
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (228/100%)

Hey Josh,

This post needs your help.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...50&postcount=1
herns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #261
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Ya, I saw it. Unfortunately, I don't really keep much post body stuff on hand anymore. :/
Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #262
magicmagni
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
15490-1
10-32 UNF inlet, 1/8 NPT outlet.

15490-2
1/8 NPT inlet, 10-32 UNF outlet

The mounted valves in the picture, the manifolds are 15490-2(same as the one that in the picture of Matheson miniature regulator system), I make custom port on the manifold, then add the stainless steel swagelok 1/16 npt to 1/8 npt reducing adapters, so the 15490-2 manifolds are 1/8 npt inlet and both 1/8 npt and 10-32 unf outlets
I went and ordered a bag of the manifold from Clippard. Part number 15490-2
1/8 NPT inlet, 10-32 UNF outlet. I was confused because the picture you post shows 1/8 npt inlet and outlet which is ideal for me as I intend to put a fabco metering valve after the solenoid which is 1/8 NPT male. So I don't understand how you "make a custom 1/8npt outlet" The only way I can figure is to use a male to male 5/32 adapter paired with a 5/32 female to 1/8 NPT male bushing? If I can avoid all of that somehow it would be great.
magicmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #263
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmagni View Post
1/8 NPT inlet, 10-32 UNF outlet. I was confused because the picture you post shows 1/8 npt inlet and outlet which is ideal for me as I intend to put a fabco metering valve after the solenoid which is 1/8 NPT male. So I don't understand how you "make a custom 1/8npt outlet" The only way I can figure is to use a male to male 5/32 adapter paired with a 5/32 female to 1/8 NPT male bushing? If I can avoid all of that somehow it would be great.
You have to tap a 1/8" hole.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #264
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmagni View Post
Other than drilling and tapping your own port (which gets even more complicated because the mount isn't big enough for a standard size 1/8 female port), your option is to order a 10-32 nipple and 10-32 to 1/8 adapter. But that nipple is tiny, and nobody is gonna recommend hanging anything with any weight on it (and certainly not your Fabco NV-55-18, which is huge). You can get the 10-32 stainless close nipple for extra strength, but, while it's in the Clippard catalog, you can't order it online - you'll have to give your retailer a call. And I still wouldn't trust it with the nv you want to use.

The likely cheapest and easiest option is to get a 10-32 to 1/8" hose barb, attach it to the outlet of the mount, and just run the needle valve inline. Attach 1/8" NPT to 1/8" barbs to both ports on the Fabco.

The mouse is an excellent solenoid. But that mount, with the 10-32 outlet port, severely limits what you can do with the Mouse outside of some modifications.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #265
magicmagni
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Other than drilling and tapping your own port (which gets even more complicated because the mount isn't big enough for a standard size 1/8 female port), your option is to order a 10-32 nipple and 10-32 to 1/8 adapter. But that nipple is tiny, and nobody is gonna recommend hanging anything with any weight on it (and certainly not your Fabco NV-55-18, which is huge). You can get the 10-32 stainless close nipple for extra strength, but, while it's in the Clippard catalog, you can't order it online - you'll have to give your retailer a call. And I still wouldn't trust it with the nv you want to use.

The likely cheapest and easiest option is to get a 10-32 to 1/8" hose barb, attach it to the outlet of the mount, and just run the needle valve inline. Attach 1/8" NPT to 1/8" barbs to both ports on the Fabco.

The mouse is an excellent solenoid. But that mount, with the 10-32 outlet port, severely limits what you can do with the Mouse outside of some modifications.
I have used that solenoid before and it rock solid. I do have that nipple you refer to but I agree its not that strong and prone to leaking. The good news is that the shorter stainless one you also refer to is now available on their site in a bag of five. Since I have the bushing already I was thinking to use the ss nipple to tighten the bushing against the manifold. Perhaps its a good idea to use red loctite on that connection? From that I have a female npt ss elbow and then the fabco valve with barb. No bubble counter.
magicmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #266
herns
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (228/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I believe your Aiproducts unit already has a filter in the high pressure 'in' port.
Hey Josh,

Are Airproducts regulators mostly for general use? I havent seen an AP regulators for use on welding or argon.
herns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #267
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
Hey Josh,

Are Airproducts regulators mostly for general use? I havent seen an AP regulators for use on welding or argon.
I'm not sure. There are a number that retail pretty cheaply. (I guess that's relative...) I would imagine they have a complete line.

Check this out:

A concoa re-branded by linde and then re-branded again by airgas. That doesn't seem cost effective. :/

Last edited by oldpunk78; 03-18-2013 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #268
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Maybe we're all competing with a team of AirGas personnel, searching for good buys on the 'bay. The difference is they have custom stickers to slap on
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #269
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Deeper, we need to go deeper. Linde is dreaming that it's a Airgas but it's really a Conoca. We just scratched the surface here, keep peeling the layers Josh, maybe it's a Victor.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #270
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/98%)

Quote:
Deeper, we need to go deeper. Linde is dreaming that it's a Airgas but it's really a Conoca. We just scratched the surface here, keep peeling the layers Josh, maybe it's a Victor.
keep peeling you will end up seeing the mark of made in China

it is a joke, but a lot of items, parts are actually manufacture in China, just don't have the mark of " Make in China".
such parts are strictly US standard quality control, and only for sale in the US, means even if it is made in China, a customer from China have to buy from the US.
like iphone.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote