twin 29g tanks on metal stand...pic heavy! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #46
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
and move on!
I've gotten to the point where I don't want to mess witht the Drylok anymore - I'm ready to finish putting the BGs together. I'll take more time and pay more attention to detail and color on the ones for the 55s.
I still have to finish the last colors on the faceplate that covers the intake on one of the boards, but I thought I'd show a pic of where they stand now. I put one in a tank & propped the other on top. Makes me want to do a riparium! lol I didn't color correct the pics, but my walls are a soft fern green if that helps. A detail shot, too.
I'll be back tomorrow or the day after, whenever I get more done. Today I have to take my cat to the vets so I won't be working on it...
I can't wait to see more!
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #47
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

good luck at the vet hoping the visit goes well but the BG looks puuuurrrrrrfectly awesome LOL
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #48
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I'm still waiting to go to the vets so I'll add something - I ordered a twin bulb T5NO Coralife fixture from The Pet Place The Fish Place (or maybe "That") and it arrived today. I've never had a T5 fixture before - I use the standard flourescent that comes with the tanks or T8s from Home Depot.
I love the new light! I just ordered another for the other 29. The packaging was stellar - they put a solid 5" of bubble wrap all around the fixture's box - the ends, too. It was wrapped so tight it couldn't budge or slip. Right now they are running a free shipping special on orders over $49.00 - the 30" fixture was $49.99. FedEx got it from Ca. to Va in two days.
I wanted to share that I had a fantastic first-time-buy experience with their company...
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #49
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I'm still waiting to go to the vets so I'll add something - I ordered a twin bulb T5NO Coralife fixture from The Pet Place The Fish Place (or maybe "That") and it arrived today. I've never had a T5 fixture before - I use the standard flourescent that comes with the tanks or T8s from Home Depot.
I love the new light! I just ordered another for the other 29. The packaging was stellar - they put a solid 5" of bubble wrap all around the fixture's box - the ends, too. It was wrapped so tight it couldn't budge or slip. Right now they are running a free shipping special on orders over $49.00 - the 30" fixture was $49.99. FedEx got it from Ca. to Va in two days.
I wanted to share that I had a fantastic first-time-buy experience with their company...
Nice. I may look at getting one of those soon too.

Cable's Madness
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #50
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Default testing the new light...

I had to put the BGs in and see how they looked lighted with my new T5NO twin bulb unit - I already ordered a second light for the other tank. I love it! The bulbs do change the color quite a bit though - the bulbs are a colormax and a 6700. When I make the BGs for the 55s, I'll paint warmer colors to counterbalance the lights. Makes me wonder how fish look under these lights?
Anyhow, here's the test - the tanks are filthy, I haven't cleaned them or anything since buying them at the Petco $1 sale...I'm pleased, for my first try! The next ones will be so much better - thanks to you folks for keeping me motivated

LOL - I keep forgetting about the faceplate that will hide the intake tube for the pic that's on the bottom. That's the BG that will be in the top tank. So imagine more rocks hiding that groove...
Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #51
sejoy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow, these BGs look awesome!
sejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #52
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks - but I wouldn't go that far! But you're all very nice and I love it - lol
I've learned a ton of stuff to use on the next ones - I hope they'll come out looking more realistic. It's impossible to try & compete with the latex casts of real rock made by others, but I think a pleasing background can be made by hand! Once a bit of aglae, moss, etc. grows on it, it'll soften the look some. I just hope that when I put real rock in as part of my hardscape (and I will - I love rocks) that the rough shapes & colors I did won't look crazy-fake.
I'm already dreaming about the 55s! ; )
Old 09-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #53
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Those backgrounds look great. Those lights are awesome. I can't wait to see the 55's.

Cable's Madness
Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #54
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Default Bored, bored, BORED!

Dear God, is there anything more boring than waiting for glue and silicone to dry?
I siliconed one of the BGs to a tank yesterday - I used two tubes of silicone, and if I had a third on hand, I would have used it too.
I spread the silicone out so it covered the entire back of the BG like icing on a cake. I laid the tank down on it's back (on bubble wrap - the bubble wrap that came with the light - lol) then put the silicone covered BG in, wiggled it around to get good contact, and pressed down. Some silicone oozed around the edges to cover the side, top & bottom - a good thing.
Then I laid a plush old towel on the BG and put bags of gravel on it for pressure. I left that for 24 hrs. Now I have re-siliconed the edges to the tank - while it was still wet I used a single edge razor blade to scrape off any messy smears.
I cut up some driftwood pieces & Gorilla glued them to a river rock to help hold it down while it becomes waterlogged, and I Gorilla glued the wood pieces to each other, too.
Now I'm waiting, waiting...
While I was waiting, I read up on the use of Gorilla Glue in aquariums. The Gorilla site itself has a question & answer forum, and much of it pertains to tank use. They say that once it cures for a full 7 days, it is completely waterproof and will never leach anything into the tank - fresh OR saltwater.

Good to know!
But now I have to wait seven days! lol

Last edited by driftwoodhunter; 09-30-2011 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: add pic
Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #55
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looking good, I think your BGs look great, excellent job making them. I agree good to know on the Gorilla glue. I know on the Reef site I belong to we won't use the glue because of its cure time and the fear of leaching. We always use gel Superglue.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #56
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I may try gel super glue on the next tank - I forgot the I have some. Gorilla glue holds like nothing I've ever used before, but SEVEN days! Sheesh!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 PM   #57
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

yeah that is crazy long
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #58
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL - have I mentioned I'm a dash-n-crash, leap-before-I-look kind of gal? I like to poke things, too.
So, I poked the driftwood after an hour - it fell all to pieces. Great chance to try the gel super glue! Yay! I guess I didn't want to wait 7 days after all...
Old 09-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #59
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Because I don't wait like I should, things often go wrong. I'll have to see if anything happens with this tank! lol
This will be the bottom 29g tank. I ended up trying the gel super glue for the driftwood - it seems to have worked fine. It's not nearly as much area contact as the Gorilla glue, but that isn't always most important. Being the wuss I am, I siliconed a 1/4" sheet of styrofoam to the underneath of the large rock the driftwood is glued to. That way the styro is in contact with the glass, not the rock. (the rock is so deep, I didn't have room to "float" it on top of the gravel - I trimmed the styro so it fit the outline of the rock) I also super glued the point of one of the driftwood pieces to the BG - the two pieces of driftwood are also glued to each other in one spot.
As for the substrate, first I made a berm around the perimeter of the bottom with the same pea gravel that would be on top. I know a lot of folks don't like pea gravel, but I do. This way you don't see the layers in the substrate. (a trick I learned here!)
Next I put down a layer of laterite on the bare glass, followed by a compressed layer of Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix, topped that with a layer of CaribSea's FloraMax, then finally the pea gravel. All total I have between 2" at the front to 3", 3&1/2" at the back. I siliconed one real river rock to the BG in the back, just for silly peace of mind (added weight to prevent it popping up - I doubt it really will help, but I feel better) Since space is a minimum, I only added one real rock to the left of the tank. I may change that all around - I'll leave it be until tomorrow & look at it with fresh eyes.
I'm not sure how long I should wait before I start filling it - I would think another 24 hours for all the silicone & glue to degas? More? Anyhow, here's two more pics...

Building the layers;

Finished! (I hope - lol)

Last edited by driftwoodhunter; 10-01-2011 at 02:13 AM..
Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #60
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Good to know on the Gorilla glue.

And I see some wood in that tank. Now things are starting to get interesting. I am officially at the edge of my seat. Can't wait to see water in these bad boys.

Cable's Madness