twin 29g tanks on metal stand...pic heavy! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #31
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

twin 29g tanks on metal stand...pic heavy!

Since I want the two 29s to look similar, I decided to hold off on starting the Drylok until I had the 2nd one carved. I'm not happy with the 2nd one - maybe because I rushed it, but mostly because the first BG was out of my head, and the second BG was inspired by the rocks along the roadway on my drive to work. I liked the big chunky overhang rocks along the road - but I didn't pull it off well. I was going to put #2 in the top tank - I carved nooks & cranies that I would be able to see from underneath - but I like BG #1 better, so it's going on top.
The colors in the quikrete line are limited (only 3 at my local stores) and they are black, terra cotta, and buff. Buff is pretty darned red, too. No slate colors - so I'm going to lightly spritz some cooler colors on with Krylon. Everything I've read on the various fish sites says it's safe.
I am going to be using brownish/buff/cream colored rocks in the aquariums, so I'm keeping the BG's tones similar. I know the fish would show up better in a dark tank, but hopefully the Krylon in a slate color will tone it down & provide contrast.
The Drylok is so very easy to use - it is just like thickened latex, and it has some fine grit to it. One of the people on the cichlid site added sand to hers - I tried that on my last color & didn't care for it. It's not required to get a gritty texture.
First pics (if I get them in order!) are the BGs with two coats of the dark tinted base (Drylok is white out of the can).
The other two show the colors as of now, and one closeup of the texture.
I'm getting good practice, and by the time I do BGs for the 55s, I'll know what I'm doing! lol

Here is BG #1, with the base coats on;

BG #1 with some colors

BG #2 base coats;

BG #2 with some colors;

Closeup of texure;

It's not quite so warm in color - I photo'd them in the afternoon sun...and don't you know I totally forgot to put any of the colors on the panel that hides the intakes! lol (for #1). Guess I'll do that tomorrow!
I did cover what mixed Drylok I had with aluminum foil and put it in a freezer style ziplock bag to store at room temp. (I mix the colors up in stryofoam cups). It has stayed fresh and workable for the last two days - so if I mix up too much color I don't have to waste the product. Hopefully it will stay moist until I start on the 55s.

More to come later!
~ Cindy ~
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #32
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Wow. Those are amazing. You wanna do some backgrounds for my reptile cages when I build them?

I actually like the second one better. I don't know why though. It is more pleasing to the eye, I guess you could say. But amazing work on both of them. I can't wait to see them in the tanks. Keep up the good work miss.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #33
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

well cableguy, I wish I could send you the second one - I don't like it! I can see lots of tall plants or driftwood or real rocks in it's future - lol
You should give this a try - it's a lot of fun. Since I work at Walmart, I've been getting the molded white styro that is packed around microwaves, etc. Any time they set out as display item, they bring the "trash" to me! I would love to turn my 40b into an open top tank with plants - a riparium - but my cats try to eat every plant I bring in the house. They would eat some poisonous thing, or drown...but the packing styro is so cool, most of it is curved and there are big wells & pockets - perfect for planting things. If you do make backgrounds for your reptiles & want some cool styro, I got it for ya!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #34
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
well cableguy, I wish I could send you the second one - I don't like it! I can see lots of tall plants or driftwood or real rocks in it's future - lol
You should give this a try - it's a lot of fun. Since I work at Walmart, I've been getting the molded white styro that is packed around microwaves, etc. Any time they set out as display item, they bring the "trash" to me! I would love to turn my 40b into an open top tank with plants - a riparium - but my cats try to eat every plant I bring in the house. They would eat some poisonous thing, or drown...but the packing styro is so cool, most of it is curved and there are big wells & pockets - perfect for planting things. If you do make backgrounds for your reptiles & want some cool styro, I got it for ya!
Maybe I should get a job that involves free styro. Some stem plants in that tank would look good, and maybe some well placed moss. I can't wait to see these set up and planted. And I know what you mean about the cats. We have 2 and they insist on using the fish tank as a water bowl. It is funny and annoying. But hopefully I can get going on a new hood and the reptile tanks.

Cable's Madness
Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #35
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

I like it!!!
For a first attempt that's pretty darn good with nothing but better to come with the more you do. haha You might want to start eying boxes at work for ones big enough to use for shipping. Being foam these will be reasonable on weight for selling and shipping,,, the foundation of Driftwoodhunter's Tank Backgrounds Inc. being established right here on TPT.

Introduction pre-order pricing based on standard tank sizes plz LOL

seriously, it looks great in the shots you posted
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #36
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Cindy, you got the approval of a Guru. RUN WITH IT!!!! Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
I like it!!!
For a first attempt that's pretty darn good with nothing but better to come with the more you do. haha You might want to start eying boxes at work for ones big enough to use for shipping. Being foam these will be reasonable on weight for selling and shipping,,, the foundation of Driftwoodhunter's Tank Backgrounds Inc. being established right here on TPT.

Introduction pre-order pricing based on standard tank sizes plz LOL

seriously, it looks great in the shots you posted
I would order one. Can we get custom sizes?

Cable's Madness
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 AM   #37
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

"Guru" says = don't chew GUm when you RUn hahaha,,, guru,,, LMAO!!!

I hate watching TV so I play on the web instead.
still think the backgrounds look really good.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #38
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
"Guru" says = don't chew GUm when you RUn hahaha,,, guru,,, LMAO!!!

I hate watching TV so I play on the web instead.
still think the backgrounds look really good.
That's not nice. I can't run and chew gum at the same time. No skills. LMAO!! Don't go all Mr. Miagi on us now.

How can you hate watching TV when the fall lineup has started. It's all about NCIS baby!! Whoot, whoot!!!!!
I agree with Wkndracer. The backgrounds look great.

Cable's Madness
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #39
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't watch tv, yet. I was either a closer (2nd shift) or an overnighter at Walmart for 12 years. Finally I get to be a day person! woo-hoo! Now I go in at 8am - so I may have to crumble underneath the weight of our new layaway plan & get this pretty 46" internet ready LED tv I've been drooling over...lol

You guys are way too kind - the compliments are great! ; )
You've motivated me to really take my time on the BGs for the 55s, and do a bang-up job. I'll even use more than a steak knife - lol
There's a new member that's been posting about using fossils in the tank - I may have to come up with a subtle you-have-to-look-twice-to-see-it "fossil" imbedded in one of the 55s.

Today I'll pick up some Krylon Fusion at work - we'll see if I can help these puppies look better!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #40
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I don't watch tv, yet. I was either a closer (2nd shift) or an overnighter at Walmart for 12 years. Finally I get to be a day person! woo-hoo! Now I go in at 8am - so I may have to crumble underneath the weight of our new layaway plan & get this pretty 46" internet ready LED tv I've been drooling over...lol

You guys are way too kind - the compliments are great! ; )
You've motivated me to really take my time on the BGs for the 55s, and do a bang-up job. I'll even use more than a steak knife - lol
There's a new member that's been posting about using fossils in the tank - I may have to come up with a subtle you-have-to-look-twice-to-see-it "fossil" imbedded in one of the 55s.

Today I'll pick up some Krylon Fusion at work - we'll see if I can help these puppies look better!
I can't stand working overnights. I did it for far too long. I know how it is drooling over a TV. I start drooling whenever I see one better than the one I have.

Don't worry about using better tools. Sometimes the simple ones are the ones you get the best results out of. I am looking forward to seeing the 55's when you get going on those.

Kryoln fusion is great stuff. I used it to paint the background on 3 of my tanks. Nothing fancy, just a black on the back of the tank itself.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cable's Madness
Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #41
grunion
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New here, and just stumbled across this fascinating thread. Great progress so far, rooting for you big time! The backgrounds look amazing. I'd be reluctant to take that much capacity away from my tank though - less room for plants, but that's just me.
grunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #42
jwm5
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

BG look great, very impressed.
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #43
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, who knew? Krylon doesn't make a slate color in Fusion. Only two different vivid blues (at least what we carry - Lowes next door doesn't sell Krylon brand). I may experiment on scrap with brushing on some black drylok, overspraying lightly with the deeper blue krylon, then drybrushing over that with more of the black/brown mix of drylok. To get a cool color, but kill the screaming blue. I really want to get some cool tones in the artificial rock. (I'm getting so uppity - it's "artificial" now, not fake) lol.
I added a few more colors today - just touches to add layers and some lighter areas. If my color experiment works tomorrow, I'll redo some areas so everyhting isn't so monochromatic. Then I'll post more pics.

I plan on starting on the backgrounds for the 55s soon - this is too much fun to stop!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #44
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks everybody for the thumbs-up motivation!
Grunion, I was concerned about taking up space in the tanks, too. The 29s and the 55s are shallow - only 12" deep. The blue insulation I'm using is 1" thick, and I have 3 layers on each background. The third layer is the rocks that stick out for accents - maybe 1/3 of the whole thing. Much of the other 2/3 is carved away down to the first base layer of foam.
One of the DIYers on the cichlid site did something I thought was clever - he made the bottom few inches of the BG slope towards the front of the tank - by several inches. He said that should direct detris/mulm toward the front of the tank where it would be easier to vacuum up. I will try that on the 55s. Obviously they aren't having heavily planted tanks, often no plants at all - but I think I can make carvings and shapes that will slope forward and still leave room for plantings.
Also, one member who has made a few of these suggested I rough up the back of the insulation with 80 grit sandpaper and coat it with drylok, too. He said it would help the silicone grab and hold the foam to the glass.
Right around the gravel line, I'm thinking about using Gorilla glue and glueing some flat, narrow river rock to the BG - to help weigh it down.
That's all for today!
~ Cin ~
Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #45
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Default time to quit messing with the Drylok...

and move on!
I've gotten to the point where I don't want to mess witht the Drylok anymore - I'm ready to finish putting the BGs together. I'll take more time and pay more attention to detail and color on the ones for the 55s.
I still have to finish the last colors on the faceplate that covers the intake on one of the boards, but I thought I'd show a pic of where they stand now. I put one in a tank & propped the other on top. Makes me want to do a riparium! lol I didn't color correct the pics, but my walls are a soft fern green if that helps. A detail shot, too.
I'll be back tomorrow or the day after, whenever I get more done. Today I have to take my cat to the vets so I won't be working on it...