twin 29g tanks on metal stand...pic heavy! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
Sd760
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)

Excited to see your finished product. Keep up the hard work
Sd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #17
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Overstocked - obviously, I hope you're wrong! lol
I may be overly optimistic, but I think of this as a mini free standing/floating deck. Have you ever seen those? They are a basic frame with cross studs. I have two cross studs of 2"x6"s underneath. I didn't use 2"x8"s because I didn't want the support studs to touch the floor - I want all the weight on the frame of the box. The box is only 8" high, minus the added bit of height for the top. The top is 3/4" ply, Hardibacker board, and tile. I certainly hope it will hold 300+ pounds, I wouldn't have built it if I was unsure. Hopefully I didn't miscalculate and make a bad mistake. I hate to say this, but I weigh over 200lbs myself, and my friend who is slightly lighter than me & I can stand on it & jump up & down. I can only hope it holds up over time, but I think it will. I'll be the first person to come here and say "you told me so!" if it fails!
If anyonme here has built their own tank stand, I'd like to know if you think it'll fail. It's also like a mini tank stand, when you think about it!
Cableguy, thanks for the tip. That's something I was wondering about. I'll ask over at the cichlid site and see if there have been problems - I don't mind coating the BG with silicone, but I'll have to do that outside - it stinks and is bad for you to breath in!

PS - in the end, I don't have to use the block at all - it's only because I don't like the lower tank to be so low that I made it. I could just put the stand on the floor...

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #18
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Following the photos you posted the iron frame rests directly over the 2x6 frame.
So,,, 2x6 frame, 3/4" plywood, Hardiback cement/fibered structural backing board and ceramic tile,,,,
park a truck on it and it won't crush that thing LOL.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #19
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

OK, overstocked - you made me nervous! lol I may post some of the basics of this box on the DIY forum & hope some people that have made stands will chime in...
I did a test of the stand & two empty tanks to see if I like it. I do like the height but I can live without it if it seems my construction isn't sound...

Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #20
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, wkndracer, the stand sits directly over the 2"x 8"s. The support beams running underneath are 2"x6"s.
Thanks for the vote! *whew* It doesn't take much to make me worry!

LOL! Why didn't you post before I told everyone my weight!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #21
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Yes, wkndracer, the stand sits directly over the 2"x 8"s. The support beams running underneath are 2"x6"s.
Thanks for the vote! *whew* It doesn't take much to make me worry!

LOL! Why didn't you post before I told everyone my weight!
had surgery tues on my left elbow so I'm Typing with only 1 finger,,,
don't rush me!
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #22
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I only type with two, what's the big deal? ; )

I hope your elbow is recovering fully? Ruined joints are heartbreaking - you don't realize how you take them for granted until something happens...I worked with a woman who ruined her elbow working in a stockroom. They had to remove most of the joint and she can't use the arm much at all now. Needless to say she's retired and miserable...
Here's to a speedy and full recovery for you!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #23
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I am going to +1 what wknd said. Park a truck on it it is fine. Maybe even a little overkill. If all else fails. Make it 3 to 4 inches larger than the metal stand, so it will distribute the weight better. But I think it is good. And in your last pic, I believe your stand is the wrong way around. But that is my OCD.

I got most of my info on the drylock from a few reptile sites of people that use the foam board in their humidity loving reptile and amphibian enclosures. So, not sure what else you would have to do. If it were me, I would just use the grout and some silicone over it. And make sure you seal all the foam edges to the glass really well. It would not be good to have something from that leaching into your tank.

Hope you get better wkndracer.

And I am loving the foam background on this build so far. Keep up the good work man.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:37 AM   #24
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL - cableguy, you crack me up! Yes, the stand is backwards! I threw it up there to check the stability and make sure it's still level - when I went to take the bottom tank out I was perplexed as to why I couldn't ; )
I laughed at myself at the time.
I took scapegoat's advice and covered the intake and made a ledge to direct the flow from the outake. I plugged up all the little openings created by closing the intake in (basically I made a tube-form out of styro to house the intake) with small bits of leftover styro - it lends to the craggy look. Now, to keep fish from swimming up the bottom of the intake area where the grill is, I'm going to silicone in a mesh made from dark cloth window screen material (I have some handy) or I'll go to Walmart tomorrow and buy the plastic canvas. I work in the dept that sells the plastic canvas and I don't want to go in for anything on my day off! lol When I made the "rocks" to cover the intake, I didn't realize I made them so low they obscured seeing the grill - not any kind of filtration problem, and it makes putting in the mesh easier. The mesh will also be easier to clean of debris - I always get bits of plants stuck to my intake grills. Getting it off the back of the grills is a pain. Cleaning the relatively flat surface of the mesh will be much easier. I guess the plastic canvas would be a lot stronger and hold up to cleaning better *sigh*. Back to work I go...
So far this has been very easy, quick, and fun! If it comes out looking like crap I'll just plant taller plants & hide it ; )
Old 09-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #25
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
LOL - cableguy, you crack me up! Yes, the stand is backwards! I threw it up there to check the stability and make sure it's still level - when I went to take the bottom tank out I was perplexed as to why I couldn't ; )
I laughed at myself at the time.
I took scapegoat's adivce and covered the intake and made a ledge to direct the flow from the outake. I plugged up all the little openings created by closing the intake in (basically I made a tube-form out of styro to house the intake) with small bits of leftover styro - it lends to the craggy look. Now, to keep fish from swimming up the bottom of the intake area where the grill is, I'm going to silicone in a mesh made from dark cloth window screen material (I have some handy) or I'll go to Walmart tomorrow and buy the plastic canvas. I work in the dept that sells the plastic canvas and I don't want to go in for anything on my day off! lol When I made the "rocks" to cover the intake, I didn't realize I made them so low they obscured seeing the grill - not any kind of filtration problem, and it makes putting in the mesh easier. The mesh will also be easier to clean of debris - I always get bits of plants stuck to my intake grills. Getting it off the back of the grills is a pain. Cleaning the relatively flat surface of the mesh will be much easier. I guess the plastic canvas would be a lot stronger and hold up to cleaning better *sigh*. Back to work I go...
So far this has been very easy, quick, and fun! If it comes out looking like crap I'll just plant taller plants & hide it ; )
Glad I could help you laugh. I like the design of the foam covering the intake. May I make a suggestion? Make the rock in the front of the intake removable. It will be easier to waterproof and take out to clean then. You can put holes and use silicone covered dowel rods to hold it in place. Then cleaning will be really easy.

And I just picked up some plastic canvas today. I am gonna use it for a moss wall in a couple of my tanks.

Also with the rock, if you don't like the way it looks finished, cover it in moss. That would look awesome.

Cable's Madness
Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 AM   #26
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Really nice start!!!

The Tile looks GREAT!!! I do have a question about it though. Did you glue any of the joints when you were building it or putting down the plywood? The reason I am asking is that the corner brackets you used are only as strong as the screws that hold them in! I usually build my own stands and hoods, and took 3 years of Cabinet and Furniture building in High school and also do some woodworking on the side, and GLUE is what makes your joints strong! A thought I have is IF the stand is tall enough you could always place cinder blocks under it and use plywood under the cinder blocks to keep them from scratching the nice new tile floor you put down! Also you could add wooden block pieces in the corner of the stand and glue them in before screwing them in to strengthen it too!

The background looks GREAT, and I can't wait to see it/them finished!!!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #27
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

cableguy, that's a great suggestion on making the rocks removable in front of the intake! I've already siliconed them on, but a little slice of the knife will free them up again - they're only tacked on at the ends.
BoxxerBoyDrew...ARRGH! I forgot to glue the wood, I only used screws. That's what I get for rushing! I know better than that - I'm sooo impatient! I see what you're getting at, about putting cinders under the box to help support the weight. I don't know that I have room for that, but I can go back and use 2"x2"s around the inside where the top ply and the 2"x8"s meet. I can glue & screw (I just like saying that) the 2"x2"s into both the ply and the frame.
I am getting fantastic tips and advice- thank you!
~ Cindy ~
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 AM   #28
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
cableguy, that's a great suggestion on making the rocks removable in front of the intake! I've already siliconed them on, but a little slice of the knife will free them up again - they're only tacked on at the ends.
BoxxerBoyDrew...ARRGH! I forgot to glue the wood, I only used screws. That's what I get for rushing! I know better than that - I'm sooo impatient! I see what you're getting at, about putting cinders under the box to help support the weight. I don't know that I have room for that, but I can go back and use 2"x2"s around the inside where the top ply and the 2"x8"s meet. I can glue & screw (I just like saying that) the 2"x2"s into both the ply and the frame.
I am getting fantastic tips and advice- thank you!
~ Cindy ~
Cindy? And here I thought driftwoodhunter was a guy. Lol. Lots more women in this hobby now days. And not very many who can use power tools. Lol, I kid, I kid. Glad to see a female who can use a saw and drill though.

And you can do exactly like BoxxerBoyDrew said. Just reinforce the inside with glue and screws, and you will be golden. Just be careful you don't mess up the beautiful mosaic on the top. I wonder if the fiancee would let me do that on the wall........

Cable's Madness
Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #29
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

LOL - I can use all kinds of power tools - I just can't seem to use glue ; )
My parents had two boys & two girls, and they made sure the boys could cook and the girls could use tools. I'll never try to work on a car, though. Yuk! My dad & I have built decks, framed add on rooms, etc. I admit I like the DEconstuction part most of all!
My best friend did a mosaic like mine for her kitchen back splash - it's about 15 linear feet by 20", and it looks fantastic! I have about 1200 sq ft of raised-bed gardens, and I made the mosaic borders out of concrete cap blocks. It's really very easy to do, and nothing is more satisfying than smashing tile with a hammer!
As for fishkeeping, I got that from my dad, too. I'd have wall to wall tanks if I thought the floors would take it!
PS - I threw my name in there just for you, cableguy - since you said "keep up the good work MAN" LOL
~ Cindy ~
Old 09-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #30
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
LOL - I can use all kinds of power tools - I just can't seem to use glue ; )
My parents had two boys & two girls, and they made sure the boys could cook and the girls could use tools. I'll never try to work on a car, though. Yuk! My dad & I have built decks, framed add on rooms, etc. I admit I like the DEconstuction part most of all!
My best friend did a mosaic like mine for her kitchen back splash - it's about 15 linear feet by 20", and it looks fantastic! I have about 1200 sq ft of raised-bed gardens, and I made the mosaic borders out of concrete cap blocks. It's really very easy to do, and nothing is more satisfying than smashing tile with a hammer!
As for fishkeeping, I got that from my dad, too. I'd have wall to wall tanks if I thought the floors would take it!
PS - I threw my name in there just for you, cableguy - since you said "keep up the good work MAN" LOL
~ Cindy ~
Lol. Thank you. I know what you mean about "cross training" the boys and girls. I grew up with one of my brothers, but both of us can cook to an extent and I can sew as well. It comes in handy.

And, deconstruction is always fun. I had a blast last week smashing a lava rock with a ball pin hammer. It was great fun. Tying moss to it, not so fun, but necessary.

I would love to do a mosaic like that. It would make a great headboard. I think I would want something a little darker though. But anyway, enough with the derailment. ON WITH THE BUILD!!!!

Cable's Madness