30 Gallon Rimless
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
wakewalking
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

30 Gallon Rimless

Let me know what you think. Just starting on this one, this will be a shrimp tank CRS/CBS/RCS, let me know what you think of the scape, plants.... I'll get some higher quality pictures up later. I am waiting for one of my favorite plants Hygro Angustifolia to filll in the back completely. Also want the repens to patch carpet the front middle and the hairgrass to carpet the front corners.

I find breeder dimensions really hard to scape...

Its a high tech set up.
Eheim 2213 but have a 2217 that I might switch in.
Pressurized Co2.
96 watts t5s.

-Eli

Last edited by wakewalking; 04-06-2013 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: done
wakewalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I like it +1
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Greedy
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think it looks dope, and it will only get better.
Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
wakewalking
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Greedy and kwheeler91.

Getting some CBS/CRS and RCS this week. This will be their home. Just need the background angustifolia to come in and take over the back. Wouldn't mind it reaching the top. A plant I purchased from aquarium plants.com might not be aquatic. It was advertised as hygro pinnatafida but is just melting away at this point. It is the the right back corner, its actually out of view. The left front corner could probably use a trim to even out the aquascape, but won't be touching it for a while once the shrimps are added. The DHG needs a trim as well.

Nitrates and Ammonia are at zero. I used a mix of river silt and Eco Complete as the substrate. Here are some pics.

3 Watts per gallon on 8hours a day, 6700k hagen t5hos.
Koralia Nano in the corner.
Only four otos in there right now.

Last edited by wakewalking; 03-08-2012 at 06:08 AM..
Old 02-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like the rimless thats nice. Look's so clean
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
wakewalking
Planted Tank Obsessed

I turned off the Koralia for the time being. Probably a good idea because of the shrimp? Is H202 used in any amount a shrimp killer?
Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

If you are going to use it for an algicide, it is best to pull whatever is being treated out of the tank to treat. Just to be safe, especially with sensitive shrimp like crs
kwheeler91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #8
wakewalking
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the h2o2 advice.

Reduced photo period to 6 hours a day, and need to change out the 2213 to 2217. The 2213 just doesn't seem to be able to handle 30 gallons. I also could use its current, without having to worry about shrimp being sucked into the Koralia powerhead.

I really want to raise my extreme nova fixture and attach it to the ceiling. Is there any diy for this anyone could point out for me? I saw the Current Orbit hanging kit but am not sure if this is what I want, or maybe a good bit for this type of plastic? Thanks.

-Eli
Old 03-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Good move on the 2217. I have a 29 gallon and feel my 2215 is just enough, I want to upgrade myself to a 2217. That 2213 just isn't enough for a tank that size.

I can't give you any other advice (I never treat algae with shrimp in the tank) but it looks nice. However, could your heater fit behind the driftwood? I think that would look better.

I like this tank a lot.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
Kworker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Makes me really want to get the deep blue frag tank 30 gal.. this looks just like it. The deal at my LFS has it with similar light and a stand for 450ish.. Looks real nice. I like the scape!
Kworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
wakewalking
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd try scaping a longer tank unless you have some really nice tall piecs of driftwood or rocks, the height makes it frustrating at times. Thanks for the advice matt, I moved the heater and it looks better. Really just need to get inline.

So the tank is doing much better after the switch to the 2217. I would have started it on this filter but the shaft was broken. I used it as a co2 diffuser, don't do that. So i got a new shaft and its doing much better now, no nitrate spikes. There are cherry and cbs/crs in here also.

Also raised the canopy about ten inches or so. Definitely like the effect.

The hair grass needs trimming every 5 days or so, so its long again. Just waiting for angustifolia to fill in the back.

Last edited by wakewalking; 04-06-2013 at 04:08 AM.. Reason: done
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #12
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

That looks excellent.

You will love an inline heater. I don't have one on any of my tanks and absolutely hate trying to hide it, even in heavily planted tanks. I want one so bad but one tank of mine has an open metal stand so that will be just as ugly and the other has acoustic panels in the way (home studio).

Now that you got your filter worked out, are you going to do anything about the pipes?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #13
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice! Curious, what kind of substrate are you using? I really like the dark orange/red plants (have you thought about adding more different types of non-green leaves behind the wood? I think a nice leavy plant behind there would be sweet)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 AM   #14
wakewalking
Planted Tank Obsessed

I dunno about lily pipes, I am trying to get clear 12/16 tubes right now, any idea where to get them? How do people set up lilys with shrimp?

Thanks fusiongt! I am using a combination of eco complete and river silt. The river silt works really well and gives you that aquasoil look. I just treated it with some hydrogen peroxide before putting it the tank. I know some of the red plants are ludwigia 'red' but I don't know what the others are, especially the others in the front. I really should, but I don't...

The leafy plants you talk about I have in there in the back behind the wood, hygro angustifolia. Its just taking some time to get going, I hope...

-Eli
Old 03-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #15
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewalking View Post
I dunno about lily pipes, I am trying to get clear 12/16 tubes right now, any idea where to get them? How do people set up lilys with shrimp?
I have only had lily pipes on one tank and the slits were small enough so I only found about 4 shrimp in the filter over 1.5-2 years. Maybe some more got in that didn't reach a good size. Out of those 4, 2 actually survived. You could just do the outflow, if you don't want to spend as much.