My first pico
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
platedlizard
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My first pico

Hello everyone I thought I would show off a pico aquarium I set up two weeks ago.

Aquarium:
an 8 oz glass. The 'lid' is saran wrap (not pictured) that I keep loose to allow for some air exchange. This helps slow down evaporation and prevent escapes.

Substrate:
white decorative sand.

Light: an LED desk light.

Decor:
locally collected agates (some of you rock people might know where I live based on the agates XD).
a fossil snail.
sticks that were collected out of my backyard.

Flora:
java moss
java fern(let)
cabomba
duck weed
and some sort of random floating plant. I'm pretty bad with names.
The plants were all collected from my other aquariums.

Fauna:
A largish aquarium snail. Not sure of the species, this is the typical snail that rides in on aquarium plants.
A male (?) cherry shrimp.
They were added a week ago.

Feeding/ferts/waterchange etc

I don't feed very often so the snail and shrimp pretty much just eat whatever algae or micro organisms are growing in the aquarium. When I do feed the animals I do so a hour or so before I do a water change to prevent the buildup of wastes.

Ferts are handled by using water from the tank I got the shrimp from, a Fluval Flora. I use Aqueon Plant Food, which contains a pretty good range of minerals and metals (such as iron) but no copper. I'm a bit too lazy to mess around with individually dosing ferts, and that would be a pain for such a small aquarium in any case. The tap water here is very pure, containing very little in the way of minerals. I change the water twice a week by pouring off 80% of the water and filling it back up with water from the shrimp aquarium.

Because I use water from an established tank the pico is already cycled. I tested the water today before doing a water change, 0 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, with a pH of 7.6. The shrimp has molted once since being put in the pico and is active, spending much of his time munching on stuff in the java moss. The snail looks happy for a snail.

Total cost for everything was $19.97, ie, the cost of the desk light. I had everything else on hand.

platedlizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
doncityz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Holy hell.. that's really a pico tank! Nice!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
platedlizard
Algae Grower

Thanks! I had fun making it.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Higher Thinking
So good my algae pearls!

PTrader: (23/100%)

That's pretty cool, but using water from an established tank, hardly makes anything cycled. Most all of the beneficial bacteria is attached to things in your tank. The plants most likely have you covered tho as they were brought from your established tank, correct?
Higher Thinking is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I know it is a pico but I cant help but feel bad for the poor cherry shrimp in that glass of water
Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Sherminator
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Don't drink it!
Sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
Quentin
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post
I know it is a pico but I cant help but feel bad for the poor cherry shrimp in that glass of water
x2, looks nice, but 8oz is pretty tight. They have larger glass jars, vases, for cheap.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
platedlizard
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
That's pretty cool, but using water from an established tank, hardly makes anything cycled. Most all of the beneficial bacteria is attached to things in your tank. The plants most likely have you covered tho as they were brought from your established tank, correct?
Yeah, that's where I got the plants. The little fern was an off-shoot from a larger fern that broke loose, for example. You're probably right about where the bacteria came from. It also helps that I keep it next to my bed so I'm checking on it closely at least twice a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus
To be honest I'm not certain how long I'm going to keep him in there. I'm thinking rotating a shrimp in and out when I do water changes, twice a week, that way he'll have his chance with the girls XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
x2, looks nice, but 8oz is pretty tight. They have larger glass jars, vases, for cheap.
It was more about the challenge of doing something so small. I know I can do vases etc, and in fact I will be setting up one for a betta fairly soon (my studio is fairly warm, thanks to all my reptiles, so keeping a betta at right temp is not difficult), but it was the glass that got me thinking.

Tags
nano bowl, pico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.