Converting to 10 Gallons Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/96%)
Talking

Converting to 10 Gallons Planted Tank

Hello,

I'm converting my regular gravel tank to the planted tank. This is for 10 Gallons tank. Below are the things I have ready for this planted tank and the steps.

Tank: 10 Gallons All Glass
Fish: Fancy Guppies (about 2-3 pairs) and/or maybe just few neon.
Light: AqueonŽ Single Tube Fluorescent Strip-Light 20", 18 Watt (maybe a bit low?)
Dirt: Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate
CO2: Fluval mini pressurised CO2 system
Plants: Java mosses, Lace Java Ferns, and Tropical Hornwort just for now, planning to get baby tears as well.
Driftwoods, maybe few lava rocks.

Step 1: Took out all the old water/stuffs from the 10 Gallons tank, I don't really want to use the old gravel, but might be few to cycle the tank a bit faster along with the old filter media. I also keep 50% old water for use later in this tank.

Step 2: I bought the Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate and took me almost 2 hours to rise this substrate, because I took small amount each time to rise it. Then I let it dry over night.

Step 3: After my 10 Gallons is cleaned, I'm ready to dump the substrate to the tank, I only use 1 bag of 15lbs which is about 2 or 2.5 inches for the tank. Then I use 50% of old water + 50% ready water put into the tank. I inserted the two filter for (40Gallons and 20Gallons) to run over the night with the light turn off. Trust me, when you are first dump your water in, your tank looks really bad, but after 1-2 hours, the water is about looks ok and then after a night, looks almost perfect (see picture).

Step 4: I haven't start this step yet, this step mostly put the heater (150W) in and two bubbles back. I might still let two of this filter running for another night before I take out one (large one) and use the small one. I will do about 20%-50% WC for it before I do the plants and start setup the Fluval mini pressurised CO2 system.

Step 5: This will be the Water Test step ... but not there yet !!!

What do you guys think so far? Am I missing anything for this convert tank? Thanks
Master503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wink

Here is the water tank running in this morning, I noticed it must more clear than yesterday. I inserted in the heater and two bubbles back, but removed 1 large filter out, now the filter running in there is just use for 10Gallons. I will start put DW and few rocks decoration in tonight.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Master503
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wink

Here is my tank is over a week now .. I just put some plants in, piece of nice driftwood, Fluval mini CO2. I took out the two bubbles for now because I run CO2 so I don't want to waste the CO2. No fish yet, still under testing the water. My baby tears seem like good so far and I'm using two CFL light fixture of 20"