Black Sand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Tiff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Black Sand

I just saw that Petco sells black aquarium sand. Any thoughts or opinions? Anyone ever tried it? Didn't know if it was lighter than PFS or possibly discolor over time. Thanks!
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I bought caribsea tahitian moon sand from there I believe it is called and it was black. Great stuff however I later purchased some Black Diamond blasting sand from my local tractor supply and it is the exact same product. I mean I can hold one in each hand and run it through my fingers and I can not distinguish between the two. It is like $8 for a 50 pound bag. I love the stuff doesn't lose color my cories love it despite others saying it was going to be an issue. It is also available in at least two different sizes maybe more.
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
nalu86
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post
I bought caribsea tahitian moon sand from there I believe it is called and it was black. Great stuff however I later purchased some Black Diamond blasting sand from my local tractor supply and it is the exact same product. I mean I can hold one in each hand and run it through my fingers and I can not distinguish between the two. It is like $8 for a 50 pound bag. I love the stuff doesn't lose color my cories love it despite others saying it was going to be an issue. It is also available in at least two different sizes maybe more.
same here
+1

don't forget to wash the black diamond couple of times. And use a surface skimmer for the couple first days to skimm the grease.
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Tiff
Algae Grower

Thanks! Do you have to worry about gas pockets with that?

I guess just looking for a blck substrate that's not too much of a pain to clean or is too lighr. Tried eco in the past but my plants are growing so nuch faster in my current PFS.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

blasting sand has sharp edges (used for sandblasting...). Not good for bottom dwellers like cories if you have them... Their barbells will eventually wear down or fall off.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

fine grade spectraquartz/colorquartz (if you can find it). it is just like black sand.

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
blasting sand has sharp edges (used for sandblasting...). Not good for bottom dwellers like cories if you have them... Their barbells will eventually wear down or fall off.
I hate when people comment without reading entire posts. Also people who have no experience using the product who review it for you. I have a tank with approximately 30 or so cories one of which just spawned. No barbels wearing down everyone is as happy as can be nice fat and healthy.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
Thanks! Do you have to worry about gas pockets with that?

I guess just looking for a blck substrate that's not too much of a pain to clean or is too lighr. Tried eco in the past but my plants are growing so nuch faster in my current PFS.
Yeah ecocomplete is just to light in my opinion. The sandblasting sand is even heavier then Pool Filter Sand in my opinion. Very similar however except for the grain size they are smaller.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier

PTrader: (444/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post
I hate when people comment without reading entire posts. Also people who have no experience using the product who review it for you. I have a tank with approximately 30 or so cories one of which just spawned. No barbels wearing down everyone is as happy as can be nice fat and healthy.
I have blasting sand in my 75 gallon tank, it has been set up for the past 6 months or so. The cories have not had any issues with it.
nilocg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Tiff
Algae Grower

Thanks again for the responses everyone! Quick question...for those who have the blasting sand do you have MTS (snails) or do you not have to worry too much about pockets?

Thanks again! I really appreciate the responses.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
Thanks again for the responses everyone! Quick question...for those who have the blasting sand do you have MTS (snails) or do you not have to worry too much about pockets?

Thanks again! I really appreciate the responses.
Sorry forgot to answer that part. I do not have any problems with pockets. However even will pool filter sand in my experience. If you get to crazy with the depth you will end up with pockets.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

+3 to Black Diamond

I swear by Black Diamond for cory tanks also. It's the exact thing as Tahitian Moon Sand. Trust me, I used like 5 bags before I discover the Black Diamond. You can't beat the price of the Black Diamond either. Tractor Supply almost gives it away at that price. I have two bags on standby right now! It makes a great cap over the potting soil in my tanks.

I plant heavy and poke the substrate with a fork as needed to avoid anaerobic pockets forming. I do have MTS, but not enough to make a difference IMO....

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Tiff
Algae Grower

Great! Thanks everyone! Now I just need to find some! I live in Wisconsin (farm country) so I'm sure there are plenty of places that supply it. I have an established tank so this might be a chore but worth it.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
This one's been discredited.
The most barbel damaging thing in a tank is ammonia.
The natural habit of many corys is fast flowing streams and rivers. Up the filtration.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Tiff
Algae Grower

I was able to find some not far from me..hopefully will pick it up this week. Quick question before I go...is there a certain grit/grade that I need to get it or does it only come in one?

Thanks again!