Black Sand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Tiff
Algae Grower
 
Tiff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 105
Default

Black Sand


I just saw that Petco sells black aquarium sand. Any thoughts or opinions? Anyone ever tried it? Didn't know if it was lighter than PFS or possibly discolor over time. Thanks!
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

I bought caribsea tahitian moon sand from there I believe it is called and it was black. Great stuff however I later purchased some Black Diamond blasting sand from my local tractor supply and it is the exact same product. I mean I can hold one in each hand and run it through my fingers and I can not distinguish between the two. It is like $8 for a 50 pound bag. I love the stuff doesn't lose color my cories love it despite others saying it was going to be an issue. It is also available in at least two different sizes maybe more.
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
nalu86
Wannabe Guru
 
nalu86's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Ga
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post
I bought caribsea tahitian moon sand from there I believe it is called and it was black. Great stuff however I later purchased some Black Diamond blasting sand from my local tractor supply and it is the exact same product. I mean I can hold one in each hand and run it through my fingers and I can not distinguish between the two. It is like $8 for a 50 pound bag. I love the stuff doesn't lose color my cories love it despite others saying it was going to be an issue. It is also available in at least two different sizes maybe more.
same here
+1

don't forget to wash the black diamond couple of times. And use a surface skimmer for the couple first days to skimm the grease.
__________________
IBC and Shelve Aquaponics
Show your aquaponics
125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
nalu86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Tiff
Algae Grower
 
Tiff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 105
Default

Thanks! Do you have to worry about gas pockets with that?

I guess just looking for a blck substrate that's not too much of a pain to clean or is too lighr. Tried eco in the past but my plants are growing so nuch faster in my current PFS.
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ThinkTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (20/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 538
Default

blasting sand has sharp edges (used for sandblasting...). Not good for bottom dwellers like cories if you have them... Their barbells will eventually wear down or fall off.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
TeamTeal
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
TeamTeal's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 883
Default

fine grade spectraquartz/colorquartz (if you can find it). it is just like black sand.
__________________
-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate

TeamTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
blasting sand has sharp edges (used for sandblasting...). Not good for bottom dwellers like cories if you have them... Their barbells will eventually wear down or fall off.
I hate when people comment without reading entire posts. Also people who have no experience using the product who review it for you. I have a tank with approximately 30 or so cories one of which just spawned. No barbels wearing down everyone is as happy as can be nice fat and healthy.
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
Thanks! Do you have to worry about gas pockets with that?

I guess just looking for a blck substrate that's not too much of a pain to clean or is too lighr. Tried eco in the past but my plants are growing so nuch faster in my current PFS.
Yeah ecocomplete is just to light in my opinion. The sandblasting sand is even heavier then Pool Filter Sand in my opinion. Very similar however except for the grain size they are smaller.
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
nilocg
Naive & Cavalier
 
nilocg's Avatar
 
PTrader: (444/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PacNW
Posts: 2,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactusMortus View Post
I hate when people comment without reading entire posts. Also people who have no experience using the product who review it for you. I have a tank with approximately 30 or so cories one of which just spawned. No barbels wearing down everyone is as happy as can be nice fat and healthy.
I have blasting sand in my 75 gallon tank, it has been set up for the past 6 months or so. The cories have not had any issues with it.
nilocg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Tiff
Algae Grower
 
Tiff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 105
Default

Thanks again for the responses everyone! Quick question...for those who have the blasting sand do you have MTS (snails) or do you not have to worry too much about pockets?

Thanks again! I really appreciate the responses.
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
TactusMortus
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff View Post
Thanks again for the responses everyone! Quick question...for those who have the blasting sand do you have MTS (snails) or do you not have to worry too much about pockets?

Thanks again! I really appreciate the responses.
Sorry forgot to answer that part. I do not have any problems with pockets. However even will pool filter sand in my experience. If you get to crazy with the depth you will end up with pockets.
TactusMortus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
tuffgong
Wannabe Guru
 
tuffgong's Avatar
 
PTrader: (40/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: DC/MD/VA
Posts: 1,453
Default

+3 to Black Diamond


I swear by Black Diamond for cory tanks also. It's the exact thing as Tahitian Moon Sand. Trust me, I used like 5 bags before I discover the Black Diamond. You can't beat the price of the Black Diamond either. Tractor Supply almost gives it away at that price. I have two bags on standby right now! It makes a great cap over the potting soil in my tanks.

I plant heavy and poke the substrate with a fork as needed to avoid anaerobic pockets forming. I do have MTS, but not enough to make a difference IMO....
__________________

Dollar Store Dirt Tank - 20g - Albino Sterbai Cory Fry Tank
Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
tuffgong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Tiff
Algae Grower
 
Tiff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 105
Default

Great! Thanks everyone! Now I just need to find some! I live in Wisconsin (farm country) so I'm sure there are plenty of places that supply it. I have an established tank so this might be a chore but worth it.
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: East Lansing, MI, USA
Posts: 2,710
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
blasting sand has sharp edges (used for sandblasting...). Not good for bottom dwellers like cories if you have them... Their barbells will eventually wear down or fall off.
This one's been discredited.
The most barbel damaging thing in a tank is ammonia.
The natural habit of many corys is fast flowing streams and rivers. Up the filtration.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Tiff
Algae Grower
 
Tiff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 105
Default

I was able to find some not far from me..hopefully will pick it up this week. Quick question before I go...is there a certain grit/grade that I need to get it or does it only come in one?

Thanks again!
Tiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012