Eco Complete
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 09-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Eco Complete

Hello, just wondering about people's experience with caribsea eco complete planted aquarium substrate. I was planning on doing a small 10g planted tank. All the reviews I've found have been good.
szenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Mr. Appleton
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

We have it an almost all of our tanks and it is quite good at supporting plant growth. It's nice that you don't have to rinse it before use ... No real cons to it that we've experienced.
Mr. Appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by szenic View Post
Hello, just wondering about people's experience with caribsea eco complete planted aquarium substrate. I was planning on doing a small 10g planted tank. All the reviews I've found have been good.
it become useless unless you dose ferts in water. other than that its just a good source of absorbing nutrients from water.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

The neatest thing about EcoComplete (and Flourite, for that matter) is that it allows you to be a bit lazier about dosing regimens. Because it has a high CEC (think: nutrient retention capacity), it will absorb excess fertilizers that plants can use at their leisure.

EcoComplete, despite its implied claims to the contrary, is inert. It does not come packed with anything at all. It's up to you, the fertilizer-in-chief, to do the fertilizing. But can you grow really cool stuff in it? Sure.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would it work for me to dose with seachem flourish excel? what other ferts should I use?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

I KNOW all the 'ad gab' on Flourite original and Eco Complete and I've read user posts stating one is high in iron and the other supplies everything plants need. Well,,,,,,,
both have a high CEC which is useful but that's about it. I got over the rest of the blah, blah, blah on the crushed brick and volcanic gravel wish others would too. Be nice if they changed the label on EC.
Worth buying? If you have the spare funds yes. I've bought a pallet of Flourite and a wheel barrow full of EcoComp but I realize it's inert and use it mostly as a capping material now.

Having an inert sub tank I would add tablet supplements ever 3 months for rooted plants. Easy method and works great.

Eco is safe and easy to use so a good choice.

What is CEC think (Cation Exchange Capacity) but yes think plant nutrient retention capacity or storing from the water and returning as needed until the supply is exhausted sort of like a battery too LOL.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
I KNOW all the 'ad gab' on Flourite original and Eco Complete and I've read user posts stating one is high in iron and the other supplies everything plants need. Well,,,,,,,
both have a high CEC which is useful but that's about it. I got over the rest of the blah, blah, blah on the crushed brick and volcanic gravel wish others would too. Be nice if they changed the label on EC.
Worth buying? If you have the spare funds yes. I've bought a pallet of Flourite and a wheel barrow full of EcoComp but I realize it's inert and use it mostly as a capping material now.

Having an inert sub tank I would add tablet supplements ever 3 months for rooted plants. Easy method and works great.

Eco is safe and easy to use so a good choice.

What is CEC think (Cation Exchange Capacity) but yes think plant nutrient retention capacity or storing from the water and returning as needed until the supply is exhausted sort of like a battery too LOL.
What do you mean when you say you use it as a capping material?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, would you still use a vac to clean it?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
jerkosaurus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

A capping material is any substrate that one would put over top (cap) a specialty or high- nutrient substrate (dirt, MTS, aquasoil, whatever). And generally in a heavily planted tank, little to no gravel vacuuming is needed.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #10
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Clean the surface in open areas yes by all means but most of the sub will be to full of plants in most tanks (mine anyway LOL) for much vacuuming
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have used Eco complete in 5 planted tanks of mine and I love it, you can put it directly in to your tank and it barely has any dust. Looks pretty good, good varying size of the rocks and such. My plants all love it.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do moss carpets do well on this substrate? Anyone have experience doing it? and what kind of moss did you use?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

szenic: Yes, many mosses will do fine on it. It's got a rough surface which is nice for moss attachment.

I recommend searching the forum for "Eco-Complete" to see what people think about it, see photos of it and learn about other experiences.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
szenic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just received some eco-complete in the mail. What's the liquid in the bag?
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

szenic: It's their "beneficial bacteria" - supposedly allows you to jump start a cycle. It's one of the reasons so many people enjoy EC. You can put it in a new tank without rinsing it and have the added bonus of helping get a bacteria colony going.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote