Outdoor Growout Box! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #46
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunfoo View Post
How is this going for you?
Down here it's going well, lots of mosquitoe larvae for my betta to feed on and the rain keeps filling up the tub so it's really a zero maintenance deal. I wonder what the TDS is though?

Xenxes, help me out, what do you think about the TDS. I haven't done a water change in 5-6 months...just rain water fill ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunfoo View Post
I am going to try my own but think I will have to skip on the fish because it just snowed again last night. (lol)
give it a try...i'd like to see if they plants can survive when it gets below freezing.
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #47
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The amazon sword has sent out 3 long runners with about 6 baby plants on each runner. Other than that, the L. Repens and L.repens x arcuata are growing well. A. Reineckii and H.Corymbosa too. The only bad thing is now that the days are getting longer and hotter I notice more hair algae. I have to rip out nice size chunks once in a while.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #48
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Nice to see that it's still going strong. Your bucket went from red to pink, goes to show that the SUN is hard at work.
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #49
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot100% View Post
Nice to see that it's still going strong. Your bucket went from red to pink, goes to show that the SUN is hard at work.
haha, good catch. I didn't even notice that
Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #50
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

That looks awesome, I wish I had full sun like that. I got my solar-powered fountain pump in the mail today, and my indirect sun just creates an intermittent bubble every 5 secs, lol sad.

I wouldn't worry about TDS with the rain water and the established tub. Bettas are hardy, and I doubt you're polluting your water at all if they're just feeding off live larvae. Also there's probably snails and inverts breaking down particles in the water, and nematodes liquefying waste in the soil. If you're curious you can grab a pretty accurate meter for $20.

You have any insect problems in the garden? Everything looks healthy, what's your secret? Ladybugs?
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #51
BlueJack
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
That looks awesome, I wish I had full sun like that. I got my solar-powered fountain pump in the mail today, and my indirect sun just creates an intermittent bubble every 5 secs, lol sad.
That blows!

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about TDS with the rain water and the established tub. Bettas are hardy, and I doubt you're polluting your water at all if they're just feeding off live larvae. Also there's probably snails and inverts breaking down particles in the water, and nematodes liquefying waste in the soil. If you're curious you can grab a pretty accurate meter for $20.
Cool. Thanks

Quote:
You have any insect problems in the garden? Everything looks healthy, what's your secret? Ladybugs?
Neem oil... that stuff's magic. Also intermixing your vegs with flowering plants in the same space helps create a natural barrier. The bugs that like the flowers keep away the bugs that like the vegs. Nature's pretty cool.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #52
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

I use neem too, but aphids/mealy bugs just won't go away, I think they've actually become tolerant. Neem also makes everything sticky, and gives the veggies and herbs a bad neem smell / taste I can't seem to wash off. I've started using a more dilute solution, and most times just a soap spray.

Also don't think neem's safe for fish, avoid spraying near the container.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote