ADA 60p - "Oregon" - updated 5/10/2012 - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 AM   #61
U2Kent
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Looks good, don't hold out on the phosphate it will make defeating the algae tougher.
ahhh, good to know, didn't realize phosphates helped combat algae growth. I'll make sure I order some from pfertz, I hadn't purchased macro's yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
And switch the excel to pressurized co2. Worth a lot less in the long run. You picked them up at the anniversary sale at the Wet Spot right?
no co2 yet, still shopping around to see what kind of setup I want to go with seems like it'd definitely help combat the algae though I'm sure... wondering what kind of rig I can get into for $100-150. My plants seem to be growing just fine sans co2 but I definitely don't want to be battling algae.

anniversary sale at the wetspot indeed although I didn't really see anything on sale, I was sort of focused on grabbing my fish and heading out... don't suppose you know of any shop in town that has blyxa japonica and/or assassin snails. I've got a snail outbreak from the plants and they're not MTS so as far as I can tell I want to get rid of them, just saw some eggs yesterday and I'm not to thrilled about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Looks good. If you want some aquascaping advice...A spool of cotton thread is .99 at Walmart. Retie your moss. I spotted your thread before anything else in the tank. It looks good but the moss will never hide that thread bro.
haha, I'm planning on removing that twine in a week or two when it looks like the moss has established itself. definitely didn't count on it hiding the twine, it's pretty thick.
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 02:46 AM   #62
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

When I checked on Friday, they had plenty of blyxa at their store. I'll have some in a few weeks if you want.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #63
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
When I checked on Friday, they had plenty of blyxa at their store. I'll have some in a few weeks if you want.
d'oh, I totally forgot to check when I got my fish... the previous two weeks they didn't have any.

I might take you up on that if you're up for a trade. I'll have plenty of ludwigia or rotala if you'd like some
Old 10-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #64
U2Kent
Planted Member

So I've been battling this Spirogyra by cutting all ferts and only dosing excel and H2O2. I've also reduced the photo period to 5 hours a day. The first 3 days I dosed 20ml h2O2 and 10ml excel. today was the 4th day and I dosed 10ml h2O2 and 10ml excel. trying to figure out how much the spirogyra should recede before I resume dosing ferts. Also I have potassium and phosphorous now which I didn't have before so I can start dosing all nutrients. I'm also ready to get CO2 so I'm going to start researching it this week and see what kind of setup I can get for ~$150.

I have some new additions to the tank. I pulled out some of the rotala and added a Cabomba Caroliniana and a few Blyxa Japonica's to green things up. I also added 10 rasbora espei to the 6 I had (had purchased 7 originally, one disappeared) and got an electric blue ram as well... really loving his personality so far, here's hoping he doesn't wreck my substrate.

Here're all of my oto's lined up nicely for a group shot... who's that photo-bombing it?

Here he is terrorizing some moss:

Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #65
rountreesj
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

i saw where the doors looked a little off, abnd dont know if you fixed it, but with those hinges...

on the low door. loosen the screws on the cabinet side of the hinge on the top and bottom hinge. push up on the door and hold, then retighten the screws. do the same on the door side. NOW BE CAREFUL!!! the screws can break...so i'd get some replacements and put new screws in one at a time then lift the door/tighten the new screws.

on the higher door, do the opposite, this will align the doors a bit.

i use the same type hinges so thats hw i know...
rountreesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #66
rountreesj
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

also, so close to the window? thats asking for algae...
rountreesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #67
CmLaracy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

I love the book matched cabinet!! I'm a fan of exotic woods and thats nice, heres a piture of my "book matched" maple topped guitar (PRS)

The scape is a nice attempt, the wood is an odd color but well placed. The rocks would work if it were for one thing.

Sometimes people don't realize this until their 2nd or 3rd scapes, some people never realize it. These ADA style of nature scapes require a LOT of depth, which means very sloped soil. The soil in the back of my tanks is usually 4-5x higher than in the front. Is usually keep the front at about an inch or lower, with the back quite high, 4+ inches minimum. I'll be making an Iwagumi journal in 2 or 3 weeks and I'll make sure to post pictures of how drastic the slope is.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #68
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

I wanna see this in person someday.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #69
U2Kent
Planted Member

quite a bit to update, unfortunately my ram died a week or so ago. He seemed fine one day then the next I saw him doing the whole gasping for air thing so I checked the nitrite levels. Sure enough, there were trace amounts, just one step above zero on my test but they were definitely detectable. I did a 30% water change then waited 2 days then did another 30% water change but apparently it was too little too late, on the 5th day or so I found him dead. I think I'll wait a little while longer before I try rams again. I'm glad I started with just one rather than buy two like I'd initially intended.

Here's what the tank looked like on Friday before pruning. As you can see the light is still sitting right on top of the tank and I'm still fighting the spirogyra algae.

and here is the tank this morning after finally figuring out how to suspend the light over the weekend (although not as pretty as I'd hoped, still want to figure out how to do it more subtly, I don't like the wire I used.) I also trimmed things back considerably last night, pulled out the rotala in the back right completely so I could move the intake pipe further towards the back without plants clogging it.

So that's where I'm at now... at this point I'm ready to add co2, I'll probably be asking about it in the equipment thread. I'm going to see if I can't get a decent starter setup w/ a regulator for $150-200 and would love advice. I'm hoping it'll help me better combat the spirogyra.

I'd also love some aquascaping advice. I'm about ready to just pull out a bunch of the stem plants and plant something else that doesn't grow in so densely. I'm concerned about pulling up the wisteria though because it's roots are super thick now and spread across pretty much the whole back of the tank... thinking maybe I would just want to cut it all the way back and let the roots decompose on their own but I feel like it'd keep sprouting up. If anyone wants to offer advice on what kinds of plants I should consider or how I can better prune what I do have to be more balanced I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking if I get any more fish anytime soon it'll be something like pygmy or dwarf cories to work on eating any food that falls to the bottom before the rasbora's get to it.

Let me know what you think!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #70
U2Kent
Planted Member

oh yeah, plants from left to right along the back are... red ludwigia, rotala walichii, cabomba caroliniana, another rotala, then the wisteria taking up the entire back left now that I've pulled out the third rotala clump. My baby tears are looking really healthy on the left where all of the light from the window falls and not so healthy on the right. I had my photo cycle cut way back due to the algae and the height of the light so I'm going to ramp it back up again now from ~5 hours to more like 7 hours I think since the light is a good 10+" off the top now.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #71
U2Kent
Planted Member

So I just moved and tore-down my tank completely in the process. I also just added co2 for the first time and am ready to try out some new plants.

What I was sort of hoping to accomplish this time around was just stripping back a bit, I felt like with the two pieces of driftwood things were a little too crowded so I took one piece out and flipped the other on it's side. I also replaced the rocks I was using with some lace rock I picked up.

not a lot of setup photos unfortunately since I was in a hurry.

am I doing this right???

the Amano's seem to like this rock a lot as I suspected they would.

so... that's what I've got so far, all that's planted is java fern and a couple of anubias coffeefolia. I'm waiting on my eleocharis belem hairgrass and I'll probably let it go with just those for a little while while I figure out what else I want to plant. I definitely have a raised area in the back left corner set aside for something taller... maybe another type of grass? open to suggestions. I think it needs something taller back there to balance out the long branch pushing right.

In retrospect I probably would have cut a few inches off the long branch to open up the right side a little more but I'm okay with it and am not about to tear it all down again to do that.

I definitely don't feel settled with how I've got the rocks placed on the right-hand side. I want to leave plenty of room for planting some interesting things but I think I can re-arrange the rocks to be a little more interesting.

Again, I'm totally open to suggestions on how I should contour the substrate, what I should do with the rocks, and what else I should plant for some variety plant.

I also could use some advice on how I should start off the co2 since this is my first time using it. I think initially I had it up too high as the rasbora's looked to be gasping for breath (opening/closing their mouths quickly). I had it at probably 1-2 bubbles/second so I've decreased it to more like 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds. I guess I should probably get a co2 drop checker sooner rather than later.

Thoughts? suggestions?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #72
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

Where did you move to?
Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #73
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Where did you move to?
just from NE Portland to NoPo, Overlook neighborhood. so not long of a move.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #74
U2Kent
Planted Member

so, thanks to USPS my Priority Mail package of Eleocharis Belem from California took 10 days to arrive. I just moved and they sent it out for delivery to the old address (which is only 1 mile from the new) then realized the address change (I was still picking up mail at both locations) and sent the package up to a sorting facility by Seattle where it sat for the whole weekend before finally getting back to Portland on Thursday the week after. durf.

well, here's hoping it can bounce back, it's pretty yellow.

this is what I did to the grade of the substrate:

post-planting:

mr. nerite goes for a stroll in the grass:

mr. oto chills on the freshly anchored anubias coffeefolia:

few more angles:

spot the amanos:

bonus long exposure moonlight shot:
Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #75
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

I like the shape of the driftwood and the moonlight shot.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
60p, diy, oregon, stand diy construction, stand doors