ADA 60p - "Oregon" - updated 5/10/2012 - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #46
JRMott
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

The stand is amazing and the tank's not to shabby either!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #47
U2Kent
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks guys.

I'm figuring I should let the baby's tears get established a bit before I start trimming them down to train them to spread out. Is generally the right approach with carpeting plants? They're definitely longer than I'd like them at the moment but I don't want to start cutting them down to size until the roots have had a chance to take hold.
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #48
U2Kent
Planted Member

Got a package in the mail from GLA yesterday... have to say, Cal Aqua Labs has some great packaging.

unfortunately I ordered the wrong diameter thermometer, going to have to see if I can do an exchange without shipping cost as much as the thermometer itself is worth.

Here's the aquarium in the corner of the living room:

couple of the new glass:

Here's one earlier in the day with daylight through the window and one a little later with the T5HO on.

and a closeup:
Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 AM   #49
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (113/100%)

What size is the thermometer?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #50
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
What size is the thermometer?
it's a 6mm, I need an 8mm apparently.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #51
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Beautiful tank
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #52
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nice setup. It is coming along. I was not going to go with the glass inflow and outflow yet but I think I am going to pull the trigger sooner rather than later on them. I have the same Catalina Solar light, are you getting any algae with the light so close to the tank. I have mine raised about 6" over the tank and I am told I might get an algae bloom.

BTW. I love receiving new toys in the mail for example:

Uptown193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #53
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

What tweezers are those?!?!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #54
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
Nice setup. It is coming along. I was not going to go with the glass inflow and outflow yet but I think I am going to pull the trigger sooner rather than later on them. I have the same Catalina Solar light, are you getting any algae with the light so close to the tank. I have mine raised about 6" over the tank and I am told I might get an algae bloom.

niiiice, no algae yet, I'm going to hang the light as soon as I can find someone to weld aluminum for me. I'm hoping that it's heavily enough planted for now that the plants are sucking up any nutrients the algae would need, I've seen some pretty crazy growth from the Rotala and Ludwigia. This is at 3 weeks so I could be in for some algae soon but hopefully I'll have shrimps and snails in there by then to help combat anything that might spring up.

I still need to do a cost breakdown and photos of all of my supplies. I'm using pfertz as well but only the micro's and nitrogen at the moment. I took a break from dosing the fertz and excel though as I think it was skewing my nitrite/nitrate readings and I want to be able to tell when my cycle has finished.

The Catalina light I ordered is modified slightly, I have moonlights on a separate power cord so I can have them on their own timer and then I have each of the bulbs on it's own switch so I can turn one off for a few weeks if I do run into an algae bloom or something.

I figure I'll want to add some co2 in a few months here, but so far I'm seeing enough plant growth that I don't need to accelerate it any further yet.

One thing with the new outflow is it doesn't seem to create nearly as much surface ripple as the eheim spray bar I replaced it with. I tried raising it up above the water surface more but that just created an irritating gurgle, hoping there's still enough oxygen transfer going on with less ripple but I'm sure it's doing a much better job of circulating the water lower in the tank.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #55
aquaquang
Algae Grower

Very nice and clean tank! Congrat DIY stand!

What is your ADA tank size?

I think the Cal Lily pipes in-out are too big for your tank size. You should get the nano pipes instead for its cost.
aquaquang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #56
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaquang View Post
Very nice and clean tank! Congrat DIY stand!

What is your ADA tank size?

I think the Cal Lily pipes in-out are too big for your tank size. You should get the nano pipes instead for its cost.
It's the 60p so size is 24"x12"x14", I was looking at the nano's but feel like they'd be too short... it's kind of an odd size for lily pipes unfortunately. I don't think it would be as much of a problem if my substrate wasn't built up so high in the back, when I hang the light I was planning on moving the inflow pipe to the rear of the tank but it'd likely be hitting the substrate.

I'd be curious to hear what size lily pipes other people are running, guess I was just afraid the nano's would be too short.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #57
U2Kent
Planted Member

Yesterday I checked my levels and my ammonia is finally down to a negligible level so I decided to go fish shopping.

picked up 7 Rasbora Espei (porkchop rasboras) and 3 Otocinclus

You can see all 3 of the oto's in this photo... I really need a macro lens to shoot fauna.

Unfortunately I'm also starting to see some string algae, hoping I can control this in time. I dropped my photo period from 10 hours to 7 hours and have started dosing excel, micro ferts, and nitrogen again. I had been holding off on dosing the ferts while waiting for the water parameters to level out.

I'm hoping 3 oto's doesn't end up being too much in this tank, initially I had wanted to get pygmy corydora's rather than oto's but I'm hoping the oto's will help me maintain a cleaner tank... will see.

I'll probably add 6 or so more rasbora's in a few weeks as well, the school looks pretty small so far but seem pretty happy.

also hoping to ask some experts for aquascaping advice. I feel like the tank is already starting to get crowded with how fast the plants are growing, wondering if I shouldn't just pull out a few of the stem plants altogether or how I can best trim them to improve the aesthetic against the rear wall... I'll post another thread in the aquascaping forum.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #58
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Looks good, don't hold out on the phosphate it will make defeating the algae tougher.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #59
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

And switch the excel to pressurized co2. Worth a lot less in the long run. You picked them up at the anniversary sale at the Wet Spot right?
Old 10-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #60
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Looks good. If you want some aquascaping advice...A spool of cotton thread is .99 at Walmart. Retie your moss. I spotted your thread before anything else in the tank. It looks good but the moss will never hide that thread bro.

Tags
60p, diy, oregon, stand diy construction, stand doors