ADA 60p - "Oregon" - updated 5/10/2012 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

Wow! That walnut is awesome.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #17
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Love the walnut grain look.
Uptown193 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 AM   #18
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Beautiful! One of the best stands I've seen too.
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
kcirtappatrick
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Gorgeous stand! I can't wait to see how the setup turns out. Keep us posted!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #20
oldbonehead
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Great choice on the stand's finish. Very beautiful like a high-end furniture or speakers. Simply lovely.
oldbonehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #21
The_Finglonger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

love the finish, really awesome!
The_Finglonger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

You weren't supposed to use the router for those hinges. That's probably why you don't have adjustment. Nice stand.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #23
malaybiswas
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas

The stand is too good. You really did not need the gray laminate. Something closer to the walnut door color would have been so much better. But they do not show from front anyways. Looking forward for the next developments.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

No that type has no adjustment other than to loosen the screws and move the door a little. The cabinet looks great as it is but you could always upgrade to a european type adjustable style hinge later if you want. Just make sure you get the correct one if you deceide to go that route.

But it looks good and can't wait to see a tank on top of it with plants and fish!!

150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
U2Kent
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
You weren't supposed to use the router for those hinges. That's probably why you don't have adjustment. Nice stand.
we only routed out room for the hinges on one side because that door lining up flush with the side, it was just to pull the door out 1/8" or so. little sloppy but it was the fix we decided we needed to make to clean up the lines.

Next time around I'll definitely research my hinges a little better and get some adjustable ones.

I agree in hindsight that I could have built the sides out of another solid wood and just stained to match but I'm still happy with how it looks with the laminate and it was a good learning experience to find out how to apply and flush-trim laminate.

At the moment I'm still waiting on my 60p to arrive at the LFS, they placed the order with the distributors a week and a half ago I believe and it was supposed to have arrived by the end of this week but alas, it didn't

I bought 6 stem plants to kick off the cycle hopefully and just have them waiting in a 5 gallon bucket until the tank shows up. Thinking I'm just going to follow this to the T more or less to hopefully avoid an ammonia spike: http://www.rexgrigg.com/cycle.htm
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #26
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It's still a very nice cabinet and if your happy, plus I like the laminate sides it makes it look a little lighter, I'm affraid to ask what the wood for those doors cost.

I've been doing carpentry for years, tons of tools, air compresser, nail guns, etc., but I built an oak valance for my tank to hide the lighting, etc. I make the first one out of scrap pine or what ever I have, nice wood is really expensive now and with a prototype you can fix all your mistakes and not worry about beating it up.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #27
U2Kent
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
It's still a very nice cabinet and if your happy, plus I like the laminate sides it makes it look a little lighter, I'm affraid to ask what the wood for those doors cost.

I've been doing carpentry for years, tons of tools, air compresser, nail guns, etc., but I built an oak valance for my tank to hide the lighting, etc. I make the first one out of scrap pine or what ever I have, nice wood is really expensive now and with a prototype you can fix all your mistakes and not worry about beating it up.
The board was $90, 8/4ths thick, bookmatching it cost another $50, then having it squared and belt-sanded (I don't have a table saw) cost another $30... so yeah, the wood wasn't cheap, and my first rookie mistake was leaving one of the boards in my car for a day in 90 degree weather after applying the first coat of danish oil to only one side.... definitely warped it a good amount, I had to set weight in the middle of it for a few days to get it back to nearly straight. Using prototype wood is definitely a solid idea I figured in this case since it was only straight doors I would be pretty safe but I still made my share of f-ups.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #28
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

The Walnut on the front is gorgeous and probably worth every penny.

If not for the high quality wood on the front I don't think that the misalignment would be so glaring.

Normally I would say "who cares if it doesn't fit perfectly" but in this case it sort of feels like a little kid took a crayon to masterpiece or something.

If it was just pine or something it wouldn't even matter (and the stand is still incredible) but hopefully someone can provide a tip or trick to help you line it all up eventually.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #29
aquaquang
Algae Grower

Beautiful DIY Walnut stand and work!
Really cOOL dude

Can't wait to see you add ADA tank and equipments
aquaquang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #30
U2Kent
Planted Member

The tank finally arrived!

messing around with how to scape it right now, I've got these two nice pieces of ADA manzanita and I was hoping to make a bit of a valley between them... not trying to make them look like trees or anything necessarily, just liked the way they looked like this after messing with placement for a while. Several of the rocks in these photos are just to weigh the branches down.

I'm trying to decide if the slopes are steep enough to give it the kind of depth I want, hard to visualize what it'll look like once it's planted but I'm thinking stem plants in the back corners, glosso or another ground cover in the middle, and some blyxa japonica and other plants under the branches on the slopes.

Tags
60p, diy, oregon, stand diy construction, stand doors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.