Fluval Ebi Riparium! 56k. Update 5/11/12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Digs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

Fluval Ebi Riparium! 56k. Update 5/11/12

So I have an ebi being shipped to me that should get here next week. After looking on the board here I have been inspired to make it into a riparium. I will be posting pics of the whole setup process as I go along.

For my setup I plan on having an open top with above ground plants that don't need too much humidity (suggestions?), and low-light below water plants (crypts anubias, java fern etc.). For fauna I will be throwing in some cherry shrimp from some of my other tanks and a pair of two of one of the easier non-annual killies (gardenari or australis probably). Any other good nano fish suggestions would be appreciated. I will probably be making a purchase off riparium supply soon for some plants/equipment.

A few questions that I came up with as I was researching: 1) how much light should I use for the ebi. I would like to have a hanging fixture to allow the plants enough room to grow out of the top. I have a compact fluorescent 27w 10000k desk lamp that I was thinking of converting into an aquarium light.. would this be enough? I want to have as much light as possible for good growth, keeping it low enough to avoid algae issues below water without needing to inject co2 for the below-water plants.

2) Since I want to have an open top setup will humidity be an issue? I have anubias and crypts from other tanks that I would like to try emmersed. Would these be good open top plants or should I keep them underwater.

Pictures of setup and progress will be comming soon!!

Last edited by Digs; 05-11-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Digs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Digs
Algae Grower

I went to an ACE hardware and looked at their water plants display. Most of the plants were dying off due to the cold but i managed to get a few good ones at $3 a pop. Not sure what some of the species are any help identifying them would be appreciated. Also would these be good plants for open-top riparium use? In addition to the pictured plants I also got a Pink Rain Lily (Zephranthes grandiflora). I was particularly interested in using the pitcher plant in my display so any feedback on this would be awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	38643  

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	38644  

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	38645  

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	38646  

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	38647  

Old 12-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

The pitcher plants require distilled water or their roots will rot. Other than that, most riparium plants are from trial and errors and won't know till the end. Most of those will be fine in an open-top riparium though
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Most of those plants will probably grow alright in a riparium, but if you want to have a real attractive layout there are some better choices.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
dragonsong93
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is going to be interesting! I was planning on just sticking a few plants out of my ebi for extra nitrate control, but nothing like this!
dragonsong93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
So I have an ebi being shipped to me that should get here next week. After looking on the board here I have been inspired to make it into a riparium. I will be posting pics of the whole setup process as I go along.
That soudns fun. What are the dimensions of that tank anyway?
Quote:

For my setup I plan on having an open top with above ground plants that don't need too much humidity (suggestions?), and low-light below water plants (crypts anubias, java fern etc.). For fauna I will be throwing in some cherry shrimp from some of my other tanks and a pair of two of one of the easier non-annual killies (gardenari or australis probably). Any other good nano fish suggestions would be appreciated. I will probably be making a purchase off riparium supply soon for some plants/equipment.
Have you considered any dwarf rasboras like M. brigittae? I just got some and they are really cool. There are also some cool livebearers for nano tanks. Guppies are fun too.
Quote:

A few questions that I came up with as I was researching: 1) how much light should I use for the ebi. I would like to have a hanging fixture to allow the plants enough room to grow out of the top. I have a compact fluorescent 27w 10000k desk lamp that I was thinking of converting into an aquarium light.. would this be enough? I want to have as much light as possible for good growth, keeping it low enough to avoid algae issues below water without needing to inject co2 for the below-water plants.
That sounds pretty good for light. The desk lamp should be plenty. It'll be handy if you can adjust the height above the setup.
Quote:

2) Since I want to have an open top setup will humidity be an issue? I have anubias and crypts from other tanks that I would like to try emmersed. Would these be good open top plants or should I keep them underwater.
Definitely keep the crypts an anubias underwater. Those are nice riparium plants, but only for closed-top, high-humidyt setups.
Quote:

Pictures of setup and progress will be comming soon!!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here are some quick observations on your plants. I tried to quote but it didn't work with your attached pictures so I just list them in order.
  1. Syngonium - this can grow pretty well in a riparium, but I think it's too big and coarse to look great in your setup. I would recommend dividing it out and planting in a small pot with a a good potting soil.
  2. Chamaedorea elegans - this might grow in a riparium planter, but its not a true water-associated plant. The related C. cataractarum palm is an excellent riparium choice. You should definitely divide these out because it is many seedlings all bunched together. This plant grows into a really beautiful houseplant, but it's best if you plant just one seedling in the pot in a nice loose potting soil. Then you have to be patient because it dosen't grow especially fast.
  3. Sarracenia - this might grow in a riparium planter. It would probably be best to fill the planter with long-fibre spagnum moss. Most pitcher plants require a winter dormancy so it's better to grow them outside.
  4. Rubber tree fig - I would divide this out and plant in a loose potting soil. It will be a nice houseplant.
  5. ??? - this is interesting. It looks like some sort of elephant ear. I wonder if it might be a dwarf Xanthosoma(???).
Old 12-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #8
Digs
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments guys and all the info about the plants!

Quote:
That sounds fun. What are the dimensions of that tank anyway?
Tank dimensions are 11.8 x 11.8 x 13.8 inches. I know shallow broader tanks are better for these setups but i figured this would be a fun little tank to try it out on

Quote:
Have you considered any dwarf rasboras like M. brigittae? I just got some and they are really cool. There are also some cool livebearers for nano tanks. Guppies are fun too.
Thanks for the suggestion those look awesome! Looks like ill have to do some serious thinking before i make a decision on fish.

Hopefully my tank comes tomorrow and I can start playing with some scapes
Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Digs
Algae Grower

Also got this plant from ace.

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	38672
Sold as Pink Rain Lily Zephyranthes grandiflora. This was on their water plant display which had everything sitting in 2" of water and the info card says it should be placed in 0-4" of water. After researching this plant I have found that it likes dryer soil and needs a dry winter dormancy period. Does anyone have experience using this plant in a riparium? I'm wondering if it will be ok to just keep it wet year round.

Ive also decided to make an outside rain barrel for some of the plants I got and really like that need a dormancy period like the Pitcher plant... ill prob post some pics of that on here as well.

Hoping my ebi comes today!!
Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Pink rain lily is an excellent riparium plant. You can keep it in the tank all year-round, but if you give it a cool and dry dormancy for a few months it will be more likely to bloom. I think that since that particular plant is already starting to slow down I would knock off the potting media, trim the leaves, let the bulbs dry on some newspaper for a couple days, then store them in the fridge for a couple months in a plastic bag with some barely moist spagnum moss.

One important caveat about rain lily in a riparium is that the foliage just look like spindly onion leaves and doesn't do much for the riparium layout. You have to use it in among other better foliage plants.

Here are some Zephyranthes that I got to bloom right in the riparium...

Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
Digs
Algae Grower

A big update on my ebi riparium.

Started by taking the background off the ebi. Then I started working on gutting my desk lamps and putting them together into a more aquarium-looking light. Heres some pictures from that process:

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	39016Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	39017Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	39018Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	39027

I ended up with 2 x 27 watt 10000k (sunlight) bulbs. Hopefully this will be enough. If its too much I have an on/off switch for each bulb and can just keep one on. I still need to paint the light.... im thinking black.

I also got my supplies from riparium supply today and am very happy with what I got. Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	39019Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	39020Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	39021

I haven't done anything with the below ground scaping yet.. Im planning a trip to my local river to get some sand/ rocks and maybe some nice driftwood. I also need to get a better heater as that one is about 15 years old haha. Any suggestions on good nano heaters?

Right now the riparium plants are haphazardly arranged just to get things started growing. As they grow out a bit I will take out whats not doing too well and refine it into a nicer looking scape. Im also trying to grow aut a few stem plants from my tank to see what happens (hygro tiger, hygro sunset, and one other that im not sure the name)

I am looking for a nicer table to put everything on so hopefully I will be able to have the tank in the middle and arrange the other house plants around the tank.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Hey that's looking great so far. I'm glad that stuff got there in good shape.

How has the baby panda bamboo been since you planted it? Sometimes that stuff doesn't transplant very well. Emersed stems are definitely a good idea for this setup. Are they emersed-adapted already? A good way to get them to grow emersed is to plant the stems right in a riparium planter and then hang it up so that they are barely covered with water. As new shoots grow they will be compelled to grow out of the water and then they will be adapted to grow emersed.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
Digs
Algae Grower

Quote:
How has the baby panda bamboo been since you planted it? Sometimes that stuff doesn't transplant very well. Emersed stems are definitely a good idea for this setup. Are they emersed-adapted already? A good way to get them to grow emersed is to plant the stems right in a riparium planter and then hang it up so that they are barely covered with water. As new shoots grow they will be compelled to grow out of the water and then they will be adapted to grow emersed.
The stuff just got here today so I just planted it. Everything looks like it made it ok tho so im hoping for the best. Thanks a bunch for some awsome plants/products.

My stems were just plucked from another tank and not emmersed adapted so ill adjust them like you said.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
Digs
Algae Grower

Update!

Finally got some sand/driftwood from a local pine barrens stream. Boiled them and made a scape. Ignore the rocks on the driftwood as that is just to weigh it down while it water logs. Also ignore the underwater plants and floating moss ball... im waiting to move them to a different tank. Planning on adding some dwarf sag, anubias, crypts, and narrow leaf hygro to the under water section. The water is very stained from the driftwood but will clear up as I do some water changes and add carbon to my filter. For now Im enjoying the blackwater look.

Name:	093.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	39332Click image for larger version

Name:	105.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	39333

Got a few more pond/terrarium plants from LFS:

Chinese ground orchid (Bletilla striata).. I plan on growing this in a pot on the side of my tank.

Name:	097.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	39338
Unidentified fern sold as assorted terrarium plant. Not sure what it is but they were growing it in the fiber stuff with its roots submerged in water so I will give it a shot.

Name:	099.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	39334

Also got an imperial taro from the pond section.. this one looks awsome so im hoping it does well.

Name:	122.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	39339

New growth on the baby panda bamboo

Name:	101.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	39335
Lots of growth on the bacopa.. is there a way to keep it growing along the trellis and not straight up?

Name:	103.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	39336
Got two pairs of gardenri killies. Ive read that theyll jump from an open top tank so i might move them to my 28g endler tank with a tight lid. Its a shame because they look awesome in this tank and seem to be thriving. The males are quite colorful, the pictures dont do them justice.

Name:	117.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	39337Click image for larger version

Name:	118.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	39340
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Digs