Not sure what's needed for a basic LED light
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-23-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Not sure what's needed for a basic LED light

This would be my first DIY LED. I vaguely know the parts that go in a light, but I'm not entirely sure what I need for this project.

I have an 8" wide vase I'm using as a tank, and would like to have an LED fixture attached to the bottom of the shelf above it. At the moment, I have to use a desk lamp sitting on a couple books for light, but that light is too powerful, and takes too much room.

It's 16" from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the substrate in the vase. I'm wanting a less intense light as well. The desk lamp is about 900 lumens- waaaaay too much for the little vase.

What do I need? Where do I get it? Why does my cat insist on drinking dirty tank water?
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
This would be my first DIY LED. I vaguely know the parts that go in a light, but I'm not entirely sure what I need for this project.

I have an 8" wide vase I'm using as a tank, and would like to have an LED fixture attached to the bottom of the shelf above it. At the moment, I have to use a desk lamp sitting on a couple books for light, but that light is too powerful, and takes too much room.

It's 16" from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the substrate in the vase. I'm wanting a less intense light as well. The desk lamp is about 900 lumens- waaaaay too much for the little vase.

What do I need? Where do I get it? Why does my cat insist on drinking dirty tank water?
The water tastes good...
anyways normally I'd suggest a simple one chip build but w/ this particular set up I'd really lean toward a more packaged light..
IF this can be mounted under the shelf it is a fairly cheap alternative to what you have:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Clip-...t-p/56411p.htm

Even a single chip DIY would create a lot more parts.. Chip , heat sink, driver, dimmer ect..

Another alternative is just cutting and mounting strips of 5630 LEDs under the shelf..bought in 5m rolls and snippable every 3 LED's
JUST an example.. they are everywhere, some w/ dimmers and power supplies..waterproof or not..
http://www.everbuying.net/product751...FYM8aQod9XMAGw
One thought though, I'd mount them to aluminum and attach that to the shelf.. A bit better heat management..
Old 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Kehy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkrol View Post
The water tastes good...
anyways normally I'd suggest a simple one chip build but w/ this particular set up I'd really lean toward a more packaged light..
IF this can be mounted under the shelf it is a fairly cheap alternative to what you have:
http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Clip-...t-p/56411p.htm

Even a single chip DIY would create a lot more parts.. Chip , heat sink, driver, dimmer ect..

Another alternative is just cutting and mounting strips of 5630 LEDs under the shelf..bought in 5m rolls and snippable every 3 LED's
JUST an example.. they are everywhere, some w/ dimmers and power supplies..waterproof or not..
http://www.everbuying.net/product751...FYM8aQod9XMAGw
One thought though, I'd mount them to aluminum and attach that to the shelf.. A bit better heat management..
The second one looks interesting. I haven't been terribly interested in the packaged system because I need to light a small, round area, but everything seems to be make for long rectangular areas (wonder why, LOL). I'm not terribly afraid of putting parts together, I'm just not sure where to start with it mostly. But a family friend has made LED systems before for his truck and is always tinkering with stuff, so I'm not going in utterly helpless.

I would probably make a housing for the light, including a heatsink, but that's mostly so it's approved of by they-who-own-the-house.
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
The second one looks interesting. I haven't been terribly interested in the packaged system because I need to light a small, round area, but everything seems to be make for long rectangular areas (wonder why, LOL). I'm not terribly afraid of putting parts together, I'm just not sure where to start with it mostly. But a family friend has made LED systems before for his truck and is always tinkering with stuff, so I'm not going in utterly helpless.

I would probably make a housing for the light, including a heatsink, but that's mostly so it's approved of by they-who-own-the-house.
In that case you could start w/ a Vero10
http://www.bridgelux.com/wp-content/...-Datasheet.pdf
BXRC-50G1000-B-04
5000K 90CRI 26.5V 350mA 9.3W

36V power supply (or a tweakable 24V)
Driver of choice (Meanwell LDD350-H if you want to do PWM dimming, others if you want some other dimming
A lens for the Vero
Heatsink (used CPU type...)
asst. bits wire heatsink compound
Dimmer (depends on driver , Typhon for an expandable 4 channel dimming for LDD drivers.)
done

The Decor line is higher CRI (rumored to be cyan spectrum doped) so it is somewhat (though no personal experience w/ any of the Vero line) better for plants..

you could easily buy 2 2W star LED's and do the same..
Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

There are times when the boss has the right idea!
I was wasting away in Ikea the other day and came across some really neat ideas on lamps there. But for you use, I might look at a simple bulb holder on the shelf to hold a bulb and then invent a bit of downlight shade for it.
All kinds of interesting bulbs of this sort.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20255364/
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.