Tank background color question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-16-2015, 07:00 AM   #1
tanaka
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank background color question

I just got a used 75G acrylic tank. I want to paint the background really light sky blue but the problem is that the back piece of acrylic itself is blue, and not clear.

So my only option is to paint the background on the inside. I've heard people say that Krylon paint would be safe, but it seems like it's been done only to paint pvc and other junks that go into the aquarium, not the background itself.

My concern is that algae will inevitable grow on the painted section. I'm thinking that paint might chip off when I scrap the algae off or it might stain the paint. Any thought on this? Should I try it anyway or just deal with the existing color, which I dont think looks good for planted tank.
tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Solcielo lawrencia
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

I don't think paint will stick to acrylic. It will eventually fall off.

Depending on the plant arrangement, the background color may not matter, especially if it's heavily planted in the background.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
I don't think paint will stick to acrylic. It will eventually fall off.

Depending on the plant arrangement, the background color may not matter, especially if it's heavily planted in the background.
It will stick to acrylic fine. Mine has since october.
I don'y know how well it will do on the inside-exposed to water.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
Bob Madoran
Algae Grower

Last summer I picked up an acrylic sheet that was less than 1/8 thick and 24 x 48 inches. I think I paid about $30 at home depot. What if you got something like that and painted which ever color you are going for and then put it inside the tank so that the painted side is facing the back piece of your tank. Push the substrate up against it at the bottom and with a small squirt or two of silicon on the top it should stay in place and not go anywhere.

You would be able to clean with out worrying about taking the paint off. It would be adding some thickness to the back of the tank so if you use a magnetic scrubber that might be an issue. You would also have a nice smooth surface on the side that faces into the tank if you need to use suction cups to hold anything like a heater and what not. Plus, if you change your mind latter on you can either just take it out or sand off the color and repaint it. You wouldn't have to worry about any scratches showing on painted side because the paint should fill them in. It would be like painting an R/C car body, if you were ever into that sort of thing.
Bob Madoran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
tanaka
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Madoran View Post
Last summer I picked up an acrylic sheet that was less than 1/8 thick and 24 x 48 inches. I think I paid about $30 at home depot. What if you got something like that and painted which ever color you are going for and then put it inside the tank so that the painted side is facing the back piece of your tank. Push the substrate up against it at the bottom and with a small squirt or two of silicon on the top it should stay in place and not go anywhere.
Interesting idea. I'll plant heavy first as Solcielo suggested. If it doesn't do if for me, I'll try this out. Thanks.
tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

instead of painting another sheet of acrylic and sticking it in the tank, see if you can find a piece of acrylic in a color that suits you, and then stick it inside?

If you go to a plastics supplier, you should be able to find acrylic sheets in a variety of colors, both opaque and translucent.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.