New 300 gallon high tech high light planted Discus tank - Build Journal - Page 30
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #436
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Figured this would help you guys get a better feel for my space constraints.
My "pump room" is also a sun room off my master bedroom. It had to look like it was not a pump room and fit below the windows, so I had to get creative on how to do this layout.

rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #437
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)

I love seeing all your sketch ups you do. It helps to visualize the plans. You must have spent some time over at reef central as most people don't put this much thought into their setup except for a few reefers. One that comes to mind is a fellow Texan like yourself, I can't remember his user name on RC but it has to be one of the most elaborate projects I have seen to date on that site. Anyone that needs a huge crane and builds part of their house around their aquarium is pretty serious about this hobby.

I think Tom has a very good idea for the space you had intended for the refugium. Plant trays for emergent growth would be a better plan than the refugium in my opinion. With that being said I don't know how much space you have under your cabinets that your sump is going into so that may be an issue.

And I really like the added touch in your sketch up of the guy checking his watch. Kind of a metaphor for this thread wouldn't you say...... Is it time yet????
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #438
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bit of a slow down.

Saving my pennies right now to add my latest over the top plan to the system. Going to be running a rotary drum filter in front of my sump. This will clean all trash out of the water down to 60 microns, it is completely hands off, self cleaning and self monitoring.

This is the shiznit in mechanical filtration.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #439
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
Bit of a slow down.

Saving my pennies right now to add my latest over the top plan to the system. Going to be running a rotary drum filter in front of my sump. This will clean all trash out of the water down to 60 microns, it is completely hands off, self cleaning and self monitoring.

This is the shiznit in mechanical filtration.
Wow. I have never seen anyone use one of those on an aquarium but I have seen them used on some koi ponds and also saw one behind the scenes at a zoo in their life support room. Those are usually quite large unless they make a smaller version but where would this go into your room?

Edit: Nevermind the size as I found some on Koi Acres that are smaller than the ones I have seen. A little pricey but what another couple grand.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 AM   #440
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Are you referring to nineball's wall of mangrove? That setup is pretty killer.
Pretty killer is a terrible understatement. Pretty 'no expense spared/best of the best' is more like it. Guy drives a Bentley, too...a man of taste!

http://www.reefersparadise.com/smf/i...hp?topic=314.0
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #441
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
Wow. I have never seen anyone use one of those on an aquarium but I have seen them used on some koi ponds and also saw one behind the scenes at a zoo in their life support room. Those are usually quite large unless they make a smaller version but where would this go into your room?

Edit: Nevermind the size as I found some on Koi Acres that are smaller than the ones I have seen. A little pricey but what another couple grand.
They are made by Koi Collection out of Indonesia.
http://www.rotary-drum-filter.com/

They start at $2,500 and go up to $6,000. I tried thinking up a way to DIY it, but there is a lot of engineering and special parts involved to make it work right..... and these are the "cheap" ones. The pro-series all stainless steel aquaculture units start at $12-15,000 and go up from there.

dont mind the noise. It's a test rig sitting on saw horses, I imagine it's shaking pretty good from everything being loose. This is the KC 10. I am going to use the KC 15 which is slightly bigger.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #442
revspeed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)

wow.....serious coinage
revspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #443
jagerlite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just read all 30 pages in 1 sitting...COMPLETELY CAPTIVATED... keep it up!
jagerlite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #444
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
They are made by Koi Collection out of Indonesia.
http://www.rotary-drum-filter.com/

They start at $2,500 and go up to $6,000. I tried thinking up a way to DIY it, but there is a lot of engineering and special parts involved to make it work right..... and these are the "cheap" ones. The pro-series all stainless steel aquaculture units start at $12-15,000 and go up from there.

dont mind the noise. It's a test rig sitting on saw horses, I imagine it's shaking pretty good from everything being loose. This is the KC 10. I am going to use the KC 15 which is slightly bigger.

Rotary Drum Filter (RDF) in action from Bridge Way Koi - YouTube
I sure would hope that it wouldn't be that loud. I don't know if I could listen to that all the time. The one I saw at the zoo was huge in comparison to that unit. I didn't notice it making a ton of noise but the whole life support room was quite noisy so maybe I just didn't notice.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #445
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

rbarn, that's some really cool mechanical filtration...IIRC your fish room is 'outside' of the house, yes? So noise shouldn't be that big of an issue...?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #446
zzrguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Cad drawings, a filter room biult on to the house with heating and cool , custom cabinet for the tank, computer controlled lighting and filtration, two years in the making, and YouTube videos all for a fish tank.

Thanks you have made my 29gal look like the gold fish bowl you win at the fair.

PS I do love following this tank. Can not wait to see it planted and fishes swing in it.

29gal
zzrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #447
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

I am very impressed with the build and all the planning & upfront work along with all the gadgets and filters and pumps, etc., but.....I have to ask.....is all that equipment necessary for a tropical fish tank or are you aiming for near zero maintenance? I understand Discus need good water quality, but there are plenty of setups that are running a canister filter and keep Discus just fine. Just was wondering the goal you had in mind with all the equipment.

Oh..btw..what sketchup software are you using for your renderings?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #448
rbarn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
I am very impressed with the build and all the planning & upfront work along with all the gadgets and filters and pumps, etc., but.....I have to ask.....is all that equipment necessary for a tropical fish tank or are you aiming for near zero maintenance? I understand Discus need good water quality, but there are plenty of setups that are running a canister filter and keep Discus just fine. Just was wondering the goal you had in mind with all the equipment.

Oh..btw..what sketchup software are you using for your renderings?
It's complete overkill and waste of money. End goal is zero maintenance, self monitoring 300 gallon aquarium that only takes the work of a 50 gallon to maintain and enjoy.

The software is Sketchup using it's own render engine. Basic freeware version.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #449
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got a source for your PVC fitting models? I haven't had much luck finding good ones for my drawings.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #450
R_Barber001
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Try [URL]http://www.ferguson.com/
R_Barber001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.