75g Community Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Haikon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

75g Community Tank

So this is my first post on TPT forums. I've been lurking for a while, picking up tips and hints. I've been practicing the Walstad method on a couple of smaller tanks. I found this 75 gal tank on CL for next to nothing. I was looking for a 55 but this one came along and I couldn't pass it up.

I used Styrofoam to build up my hills to cut down on weight and cost. lol, I hope this works. I picked the rocks up at a local landscaping store. I'm pretty happy with the hardscaping at this point. Now it's time to buy the plants. This is a low tech tank. I'm thinking Java Ferns in the cracks between the larger rocks. Something tall for a background, Vals? I'm gonna try and make a carpet from Java Moss with some yarn grid thingy I picked up from Hobby Lobby.

I'm open to some suggestions about where to go with it.

I thought this rock was pretty cool. Then I washed it.................It looks freakin awesome when it's wet. The black is 100 shades darker.

Filled in the terraces with some leftover gravel.

Lots of places to plant

Haikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Lookin' good! Nice tank start, I like the seiryu stone scape. Love the depth and path you got there. Awesome pics.

Anyhow, welcome to ThePlantedTank!

Nice to meet ya, Haikon.
10 gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Iwagumi low-tech planted tank
10 gallon Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Black Bar Silver Dollar/Regular & Spotted Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
MeCasa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Reminds of of Glacier runoff in Alaska

Looks good
MeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Haikon
Algae Grower

Most of my plants came in today so as soon as I got home from work, I got busy plantin.

I need to do some work on my sand that moved a bit during filling, but overall I'm pretty stoked so far. Got some Java Moss on the way to make a carpet up front but now I'm kinda thinking maybe not. Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 AM   #5
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Nice work!
I would use Vals in one back corner to hide the filter tubing. The Ambulia at the back center will grow to the top and then some, making a nice contrast with Vals.

Check out Blyxa Japonica - I think it will look good front left and right in the black substrate. Red tiger lotus is hard to beat for color in a larger lower light tank.

I would also suggest a black or mirror colored background - it's amazing how it makes tanks look larger and deeper and more vibrant.

Not sure you will like you multiple layered substrate long term - it will get all mixed up over time. Keeping the white sand white is a job in itself.

Welcome to TPT and keep those pictures coming.

v3
Old 07-12-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
Haikon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Nice work!

Not sure you will like you multiple layered substrate long term - it will get all mixed up over time. Keeping the white sand white is a job in itself.

Ummmm yeah, I'm realizing that now lol.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #7
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'd check your tap and tank gh and kh. I've gotten simular rock, sometimes called shrimp rock or zebra rock, it leeches magnesium like crazy and jacked my already high gh off the charts. Sadly I could not use them since they made the gh so high.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:51 AM   #8
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks really nice. The overhang of that back right rock creates a great effect I think. Gonna look great as it fills in with plants.

Personally I wouldnt do java moss, it can get quite messy. I'd look at maybe some low-growing Crypts for the foreground (wendtii perhaps)

Agree w/OVT on a dark background. It can be as simple as a couple sheets of black poster board. It will really make a big difference.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
Haikon
Algae Grower

Question

Ok now I have a question. I'm sure there is a section for this somewhere in the forums but I'm too lazy to look lol. I'm using an API Filstar XP (M) for my canister filter. I could easily see that I needed more water movement, so I stopped by a small, but close LFS and picked up a Marineland Maxi-jet 600. Just looking at the plant movement, I feel like I've gotten too much pump with the laminar setup. Plus, there is no hiding this beast mounted on the side of my tank lol. So, Should I just go back and pick up a smaller power head, or is this amount of water movement needed?