D_S's plastic shrimp box
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

D_S's plastic shrimp box

The prequel comes from the 60P thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...461881&page=10

Copy and paste:
got bored of the 60P's dimensions. I wanted something similar to a 60F to play with BUT I wanted to fill the whole footprint of the stand. Shopped around and ended up asking forum member newbieplanter for his acrylic expertise. Tank is on leak test now. Will pick up the tank tomorrow and get started! Super super thick pieces of plastic!

Measurements are --- 23.5x15x9. This gives me a bit more depth to play with and 2" more height I need to clear my Stainless lily skimmer. And a few more gallons of h20.

6/3/14: ordered 2 bags of Mr Aqua Shrimp Sand from Aquaful in MA. Anthony has generous + tremendous knowledge! DO BUSINESS WITH HIM!

I ordered 2 bags as I want the substrate height to be in proportion to the height of the tank. Will probably try to play with rocks. No sure with scape yet, all I want is a crazy nice DHG/microsword mixed carpet and miniAR. Maybe keep a small version of my red wendii crypt. will probably need the tank here to start messing with the scape. I want some Ohko stone.. can't find any atm.

I won't be stocking the tank with much fish. Will keep my 2 tetras and 2 juve endlers in there until they disappear or I rehome them in my other tanks. Will be a shrimp tank with a school of pygmy cories and maybe a few oto for cleaning crew. I still have to move the surviving amano/peppermint/rili/orange sunkist/lime green shrimps from the 60P, there arn't many. Will stock a new colony of shrimp once I figure out what won't inter-breed.

Will probably have to lower the hanger for the lights as well

Tank: 60F bulked on protein (no roids) 23.5x15x9 3/8" acrylic ~13.7 gallons

Controller: reef keeper 2

Filtration: eheim 2215 + stainless lily pipes with skimmer intake + 240 nano wavemaker if needed

Lighting: Ray2 and Planted+ Combo on ramp up timer

Substrate: 4x Mr Aqua shrimp sand

CO2: Injected Azoo reg + bubble counter + inline atomizer

will be taking advice/suggestions on scape etc after I clean up the 60P and get the 60F-wannabe in house.

Update:this weekend I went over to Aquaful and picked up 4 bags amount of Shrimp Sand. It's roughly an inch all around. Will play with it once I get the other stuff in. I also bought a 1.5g long Mr Aqua tank! If you need stuff, he's definitely the guy you should contact. Super nice and very helpful.

I've decided on DHG, microsword, AR mini (cut low), S repens and downoi so far. I want one more plant that can look good up with the rocks. Must be low in height as I want to keep it in the water.

3 day leak test in my kitchen:

the shrimp sand:

Last edited by Down_Shift; 07-26-2014 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: edit
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Omg! Peeling the protective cover off of plastic screen and the like is my favorite part! I haven't a clue how you have resisted peeling them off for so long!

Setup is looking good! What is the benefit of shrimp sand? I recently got a starter colony of cherry shrimp and I have them living in a bare bottom bowl for now while I work on a tank for them, they've plenty of space and water in there with lots of plants to make o2, scrub toxins and provide hiding spaces. I have a bunch of eco-complete that I bought for 50% off when they changed their packaging from petco, I was thinking about using this but would the fertilizers be harmful to the shrimp?
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Omg! Peeling the protective cover off of plastic screen and the like is my favorite part! I haven't a clue how you have resisted peeling them off for so long!

Setup is looking good! What is the benefit of shrimp sand? I recently got a starter colony of cherry shrimp and I have them living in a bare bottom bowl for now while I work on a tank for them, they've plenty of space and water in there with lots of plants to make o2, scrub toxins and provide hiding spaces. I have a bunch of eco-complete that I bought for 50% off when they changed their packaging from petco, I was thinking about using this but would the fertilizers be harmful to the shrimp?
i've been a huge fan of eco complete. I've used eco, flourite (? it's red), and ADA AS.

The Eco is pretty much inert so I don't think it does anything to the shrimp. Your shrimp should be fine as long as the parameters are steady and stable.

The shrimp sand looks pretty cool in texture. It's pretty much the same size to each grain (ball shaped) and it's "suppose" to buffer PH and have some nutrients that benefit the shrimp. They also make a plant version that includes ferts.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looking forward to this build.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Question: since I'm still under the 1 tank rule with the gf. I will be putting this up and breaking the 60p down at the same time.

Would the fish be ok in the new tank if I filled this tank with 50% tank water and threw the cycled filter on it ?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Question: since I'm still under the 1 tank rule with the gf. I will be putting this up and breaking the 60p down at the same time.

Would the fish be ok in the new tank if I filled this tank with 50% tank water and threw the cycled filter on it ?
I have done it successfully. The thing is I was using the same filter. I used as much water as I could from my old tank, ended up being about 75%. I waited a few hours before adding the last 25% but that may be hard on your tank without destroying the substrate. You should be fine if you add your filter and plants, but you may want to wait like an hour with your fish in a bucket to give you time to work. Remember that your fish are likely much more hardy than when you first buy them, I find I can be a lot more "risky" with fish I have had for a long time, especially since they don't have to acclimate to the new water, etc.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Matt. Always helpful. I just don't want to lose my cories hah.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 AM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Thanks Matt. Always helpful. I just don't want to lose my cories hah.
Honestly, I am not the best fish keeper so I figure if I can do it, most others can. However, you may want to wait until someone else chimes in.

The other thing you could do if you have a temporary place for the 60P is set it up on a counter or something. Drain it most of the way, refill, and it shouldn't have issues. Then you can take much more time setting the new tank up. I have done that with smaller tanks plenty of times.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #9
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Default a plastic box- 60F tray style custom build

Here it goes. Starting it up!

Peeled the front.
Loaded the shrimp sand.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Stones in the middle. Front left corner is left empty for almond leaves and cholla. I'll put the feeding dish there when needed.

Last edited by Down_Shift; 06-13-2014 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: pic
Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 AM   #10
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Even though I have never done a mix of substrate and sand, the left corner is betting for some sand IMO.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:35 AM   #11
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Even though I have never done a mix of substrate and sand, the left corner is betting for some sand IMO.

I have some pebble rock/gravel that's brown. I might put it there.

Right now I plan on laying almond leaves there as ground cover. And have a few pieces of cholla wood piled up.

Here's the rocks. Suggestions very much appreciated!

The idea is AR mini, s repens around the rocks and the middle space.

Dhg all around and gradually mix with micro sword up to Downoi to the rocks.

Maybe some MM and moss in the rock formation to add more details

The shrimp sand is very light. Having trouble keeping hills and the rocks from moving around

Edit here's another rock formation

Last edited by Down_Shift; 06-13-2014 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: ard
Old 06-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Finally finished swapping tanks. Spent all night. I guess going out to a bar then coming home to swap tanks wasn't a very good idea.

Planted a crapload of chunks of dhg and micros word.

Ar mini and I took some of the baby crypt wendtii. Some MM and blyxa as well.

Lost my endler fry during the swap

So shocked at the worms in the old tanks substrate.

Will probably have another update after I get a few hours of sleep. My fish and shrimps are still in the bucket. Had a bunch of orange shrimplets and a few full size green shrimp. And a few Amano.

Last edited by Down_Shift; 06-14-2014 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: add
Old 06-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #13
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Spent the day cleaning up. Everything seems good. Moved the rest of the fish and shrimp into the tank. No deaths so far.

Waters still a little cloudy.

Shrimp sand is very hard to plant in. Kicked up a cloudy mess. It also doesn't hold rocks very well. already losing some of my hill. Hopefully the roots will hold it down when they grow in.

Trying a new co2 setup without a solenoid. There's some threads about keeping a constant low bubble co2 injection going 24/7 to avoid ph swing and keep lower ph.

Will try that. It's currently set it 1 bubble per ~2.5 seconds. Took an average.

Next plan? If I have it in me, a 1.5L
Old 06-14-2014, 06:34 PM   #14
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good so far. The only thing I would have done differently is have all the stone match but I really like the design and layout.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looks good so far. The only thing I would have done differently is have all the stone match but I really like the design and layout.

Ya. That bothered me too. I ordered seryu from two different places. And they didn't come out looking the same !!

If anyone knows what I have in the tank please post up!