new 10 gallon eco-complete or fluorite?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
NFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I'm setting up a 10 gallon planted tank with just the 15 watt fluorescent light. I thought I would make the substrate 3-4" to make the 10 gallons about 7 gallons, and the plants to be closer to the light because of only 1.5 wpg, and to have room for root growth. So it should be closer to 2 wpg, and the plants only 8-9 inches from the light.

This is my 2nd attempt at a planted tank. My first tank (20 gallon high) wasn't a complete disaster, but it wasn't too great either. I learned a lot of things not to do on my next try (I also didn't get the best advice at the LFS). I didn't have any special substrate, and I decicded that I would pay for the good stuff this time.

Should I use Fluorite? or Eco-complete substrate? I haven't been able to find much about the eco-complete substrate. Do any of you use it and like it? I would only buy one bag of either. So the flourite would be mixed 50/50 with gravel. The eco complete comes in a 20 lb bag, so it would probably be mixed with less gravel than the flourite would be.

Also, I will probably order plants from either www.aquariumgarden.com or http://aquariumplant.com Has anyone here ordered from either of these before?

Thanks
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would reccomend flourite. If you talk to Buck, he will tell you all about the mess that the eco-complete (or was it arag-alive, hmmm) caused, and flourite works, so that is a good thing.

Instead of doing a complete flourite/gravel mix, you might want to consider sand, especially Tahitian Moon Sand if you like the dark look... You could do an entire bag of flourite, and then some sand too, that would look cool. It is up to you though, just mentioning something different.

As for ordering, I have used neither of those, but aquariumgarden is the sponsor of this site and I have got quick replies to their e-mails, consider them.

-Tim
Old 05-07-2003, 01:31 AM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

One bag of Flourite will give you very close to three inches in a 10 gallon tank. And I too would go with the Flourite.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote