The Peace Lily
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The Peace Lily

If you're a low light, low tech "water keeper" and have planted tanks, you know the list of plants you can keep is short. Possibly, if you keep well planted tanks, you already know about the "peace lily", Spathiphyllum wallisii. It's not a true aquatic plant, but if you grow it emersed for several weeks and allow it to die back and trim the dead leaves and then submerge it, it can remain healthy for months, even years. I have this one in a 38 G tank.

I planted it in a pot with pea gravel and organic potting soil. It's a slow grower, but it does very well in low light or shaded conditions with a fert dosed a couple of times a week. It's easy to care for and grows quite large, so it's not recommended for small tanks.

I picked up this plant at the local hardware store for about $6.00. Add this one to the low light, low tech list of aquatic plants. See attached pic, the Peace lily is the larger plant in the background. The small plant in front is some variety of Hygrophila.

B

Last edited by BBradbury; 08-22-2012 at 10:06 PM..
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Good info thanks for sharing
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
planted goldfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

kool, my mom has one in a pot that i want to take a leaf with roots from
planted goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
wetworks
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have some of this that I got before I knew it was not an aquatic plant. I have not yet pulled it from my tank, and based on your post I think I will wait and see what happens. If it starts to do poorly, then off to the terrarium.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Here is a pic of the Peace Lily next to my tank you could really fill a tank with it and this was taken a couple months ago it is alot bigger now, lol...

If you are looking for an easy to grow indoor plant that doesn't need much light this is it, it doesn't bloom well in low light but it stays dark green, just make sure you keep it watered well.

Len
lbacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Yep peace lilies can grow for a long time underwater. I heard that there is one species that is a a true aquatic in its wild habitat in South America, but I have never heard of anybody keeping that one.

Most peace lilies live along hte edges of rainforest streams in Central American and South America. Peace lilies are one of the best riparium plants if you grow them out of the water. I used them for much of the background in this 55G high-humidity setup.

hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote