H2O2 dip % ? - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #46
kuro
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

How old was the peroxide you used? turn off the light after you dose the peroxide since light can quickly break down peroxide. You don't have to do water change after dosing peroxide since it quickly convert to water and oxygen.

Canon Pimp Club #038
kuro is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #47
moonwasaloon
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

ah poop, I had the light on!

Last edited by moonwasaloon; 03-02-2012 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Sorry!
moonwasaloon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #48
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

TIME OUT!!! Go back are read the thread H2O2 does not breach down that fast.

moonwasaloon - Was the H2O2 a fresh bottle ?

When I spot treat I can see the Hair algae melt as I inject there H2O2, so this doesn't sound right.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #49
xxbenjamminxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)

I just tried spot treating my algae, what I believe is staghorn as well, with H2O2 so we will see what happens. I dosed about 70ml into my 75g tank in the affected spots and got some bubbling but no "Melting" of the algae what-so-ever. I had the filters off and waited almost an hour before turning them back on.

Hoping this will help, but if not I am upping my dose to 140ml and the waiting time to 2 hours and see if that will nuke it. My glosso is starting to get taken over as well as my java ferns. I tried this dose the same way about 3 days ago and didnt not see much change so hoping this one will do more. Def got more bubbling this time tho.

Maybe staghorn is too stubborn for the H2O2 treatment? I sure hope not!
Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29
xxbenjamminxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #50
tlyons01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I feel like an idiot, but I thought I should post my experience whether or not things are said about my stupidity.

I decided today to dose H2O2 as I have been trying to rid my tank of several algae types. I thought a 10ml per gallon "bath" was my way to go. So, no I didn't read through the whole thread before I attempted this. Today is my 50% WC day. After I removed the water, I added the peroxide. Was going to let it sit for an hour, but after about 30 min I noticed my fish were coming up a lot to get air (cory and oto), and a group of them were breathing at the surface (rasbora and neon). I promptly added my prime and then refilled the tank. I had to leave and was gone for a few hours. Came home to 4 dead rasbora, one dead neon, and I have lost 2 otos. I have other otos that are almost out of the tank, sliding up and out of the tank at the water level. I have them now in my QT tank and I performed another 50% wc.

I would rather live with algae than kill my fish. So far, all of the cory are ok. They have still been coming up for air, there are bubbles in the water, tiny ones. Not sure if that is CO2 or H2O2, as my plants are pearling from the water change.

Please don't be an idiot like me
Fraternity of Dirt #75
Mud Pies~20 gallon

Last edited by tlyons01; 03-11-2012 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: misspelling
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #51
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

tlyons01 - Don't beat yourself up too bad. There's not a member here that hasn't done something they regretted with the hobby.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #52
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Lately, I've been pulling my potted plants out of my outdoor emersed tank and my Whiskey Barrel pond to treat H2O2 with a spray bottle. I give the treated pot/plant 1-3min. "sizzle" time. Then either back in the pond or in a rinse bucket then back into the emerged tank. So, far this has been very successful.

If one had like Java or Anubius in a drift wood or Rock in their tank this idea would work, better I think, than spot treatments or water column dosing.

The big CAUTION point is the DWELL TIME.

I do 3min. on Emersed Crypts, less on Submersed plants.

All new plants (Buy/Trade) get misted for a 1min. before they go into any of my tanks.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #53
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

I did 3min or there about on Anubius with a new bottle of 3% and a week later see the yellow of tissue damage on many of the leaves. Use at you're own risk as results can vary widely for odd reasons.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 AM   #54
golfwang
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey DogFish,
I have 4 mosses on 2x2 stainless steel mesh I was wondering how much H2O2 I should use to remove thread/hair algae and how long should I have them submerged in an external bucket for?
golfwang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #55
Aganor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used H2O2 to try to get rid of a white fuzzy fungus on my emersed Hemianthus Callitrichoides and the only thing i got was whitered leaves and the fungus laughing at me, using a 3% H202 solution sprayed all over..

I guess H202 wont deal with fungus but is still hard on small plants :/
Aganor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #56
Pakman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm looking to deal with hair alge on some stem plants. They are getting too tall so will be doing a trim and replanting anyhow, so was thinking about a spray, rinse and replant.
Will a H202 spray for 1-2 min harm the plants if they are at the same time trying to re-establish roots (i.e trimmed, and being replanted).
Is the recommendation, to spray, then manually remove the hair algae, or just rinse and put it back in the tank?
thanks in advance for your advice...
Pakman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.