vey strange please help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 08-27-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

vey strange please help!

Ph on my tds meter measuring 4 for my 10g quarantine. Inhabitants are 7 juvenile cories. Tank should be fully cycled. Had German RAM and loaches in there for 3 weeks no issues. Ammonia and nitrites both 0.

Double checked the ph with api test kit, confirms low ph, but their scale doesn't measure to 4. Checked the meter against aged Ro water, 6.98 no issues.

I thought an anubias with brown muck on the leaves was polluting the water so I removed it.

I don't know what to do so i am doing the 3rd wc today, this time putting in cycled water from my display tank.

Anyone experienced this? Could I be using too much amquel? Test on treated tap same as from the faucet 7.63. Haven't lost fish this quickly since I went on a vacation with an uncycled tank.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
AW0L
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tds meter measures hardness. Are you usuing a ph monitor? Or tds
Old 08-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Fish wastes lower pH. Increase surface agitation to increase oxygen level. Test your KH. You may need to buffer the water.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

What is the KH of the water? Low KH means the pH is free to be whatever it wants. In an aquarium there is so much decomposing and other pH lowering activities that the pH generally ends up dropping when there is low to no buffer such as carbonates.

Re: water changes: water is not 'cycled'. The nitrifying bacteria live on most of the surfaces of the tank and filter. You can do 100% water changes and have no cycle issues. (New water needs to match GH, KH and TDS of the old water to keep the fish happy)
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for responses.

I don't measure kh/gh. I have a feeling I just hit another steep section of the learning curve..

Any recommended test kits and buffering agents, and how much to add? I will go to lfs ASAP as I woke to another lost cory...poor little dudes...

The meter I use is a combined ph, tds, ec, temperature meter.

Tds in this tank stable at 320, in my Ro water only display it is at 120.

I'm starting to think I need to switch all my tanks to conditioned Ro water...control seems better than worry.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote