6.6 gallon bookshelf nano ( First ever attempted aquascape!! Advice needed!!!!! 56k)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

6.6 gallon bookshelf nano ( First ever attempted aquascape!! Advice needed!!!!! 56k)

*CURRENT PICTURES ON LAST PAGE!*
Recently Re-Scaped"

And its actually on a bookshelf!!!

This is my first attempt an an aquascape. I've kept plants before, but never beyond sticking them into the gravel and hoping they lived. This is by no means complete. In fact I just started aquascaping it this week.
I have all my background plants planted and figured out. Now I'm still playing around with rocks, and trying to figure out my foreground and mid ground plants. I'm thinking water shamrock for the foreground.

Tank - Petco 6.6 Gallon Bookshelf Aquarium (24"Lx8.13"Wx9.25"H)
Substrate - CaribSea Tahitian Moonlight Sand
Lighting - Single T8 Bulb (came with the tank), Upgrading to dual T5NO strip, 6700k.
Filter - Aquaclear 20
Heating - None (will be getting one once summer is over)
CO2 - None (DIY yeast setup soon, Building DIY Paintball)
Fertz - None (will be dosing Flourish, and Flourish Iron)
Hardscape - Local rocks
Flora - Red Ludwigia, Parrots Feather, Rotala Indica, Greater Duckweed, and Water Wisteria (this is for coverage and to absorb nutrients, will be replaced)
Fauna - 2 male fancy guppies, 1 baby guppy, 5 leopard cories, 1 zebra nerite, 1 oto (will be getting him at lest one friend when my LFS get them in), and 4 blue pearl shrimp.

I just planted the rotala yesterday. The parrots feather and red ludwigia was bought at the time of tank setup. Both have finally started establishing a large healthy root system. The rotala was bought with a large root system. The parrots feather and rotala were grown out of water. I'm waiting to see progress on the rotala, but the parrots feather has sent out new submerged growth. Waiting for it to grow another inch or two before I tim it to start promoting a nice bush. Same with the red ludwigia and rotala. The duckweed is starting to shade my red ludwigia, I have to scoop some out some next time I'm in the tank.
Had a die off of 10 blue pearls the day the rotala was added. No test kit so I had no idea what caused it, after a water change and some time everything has gone back to normal and my surviving shrimp couldnt be happier.
Finally, suggestions or tips are welcome!! Sorry for the bad pictures.. My cats ran off with my camera charger and all I have is my really bad cellphone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0824110720a.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	34175  

Name:	0824110720.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	34176  

Name:	0824110717.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	34177  

Name:	0824110719b.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	34178  

Name:	0824110719.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	34179  

Last edited by Eldachleich; 07-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Additions
Eldachleich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

More
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0824110718b.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	34180  

Name:	0824110718c.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	34181  

Name:	0824110719a.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	34182  

Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #3
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Advice needed!! I want to leave that side under the duckweed open sand for my cories.. And want to slope the planted side down towards the sand... I'm having trouble finding a good midground and foreground plant... And with rock placement... I want a rock where that one is.. but I want more to create some sort of border or edge.. Having trouble making it look good... And creating depth and the illusion that this tank is much larger than it is..
Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Good looking start
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Good looking start
Thanks.. I know th eplants will situate themselves wiht time... the rocks are bothering me more than anything.. well the one rock....
Old 08-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

I just officially switched over my fish to homemade fish food... I still feel like the recipe and proportions are off but, they liked my first two batches a lot... So I figured I would tweak it as each new batch was created...
I've started recruiting people in my area to text out this batch... But so far I only have a few and have accidentally made alot more than I need... Still figuring out what to do with the rest.... My fish responded really well to this food.. and the last batch as well.. more active, less mess, more color, more spawning. My blue guppy has really deepened in colour. And a black and red spot have appeared on his body, as well As black lines running along his body and turquoise developing on his tail. He's turned into a real stunning guy.. All my fish have shown improved activity and coloration...
Ok so, here's the recipe... Tell me if you have any ideas to improve it..
1/3 lb Salmon
1/3 lb Beef Heart
1/3 lb Shrimp (d-veined and shelled)
1/3 lb Cod
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 1/2 Zucchini
1 Small Summer Squash
1/2 Package Frozen Bloodworms
3/4 Cups Cold Water
1 Large Jar Organic Pea and Spinach Baby Food
1 3/4 Cups Water
1/2 Tbsp Spirulina
4 Packets Gelatin

I skinned and chopped all the fish and shrimp and blended them on low with the baby food. The baby food I got had 3 sizes. I opted for the largest one. I threw in the peeled garlic at this point and let it blend in there for a while.. After that I cut the fat and veins off the beef heart, chopped it up finely and set it aside. At this point I needed to add about 3/4 cups cold water just so my blender could blend it. I started out little by little but ended up using about that much. I put the spirulina in along with the beef heart and peeled zucchini and squash. I added the blood worms and blended. I put 1 3/4 cups water on the stove, brought it to a boil, and added the gelatin packets. Stirred it in real well and added it to the fish and veggie puree. I mixed that well and poured it in ice cube trays and put it in the fridge to set. After that I cut it up what I would use by the end of the week and put it in a jar the the fridge.. The rest I put in my freezer. Next time I would probably use gloves as the horrible smell it produces is really hard to get off. So far I really like this though... I;m going to see how long it lasts in the freezer to adjust my proportions accordingly...
Old 11-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #7
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Well... I havent updated this in a long time.
Mainly because my growth is SLOWWWW!!!! But its ok. I want it that way. I would like to be able to enjoy my aquascape for long intervals. I ' have only had to trim the rotala once.
I did some shifting and planting. Nothing is really different. But stuff has grown in. theres now some crypt parva in front. Not alot. It just got acclimated to the tank and finally started to spread a little. I might buy a couple more pots of it just to fill it out more. The rock is still there.. But mainly to act as a buffer to my filter flow. I really like the flow if this filter, It makes the flow in my tank pretty great, but directly underneath it gets pretty buffeted with current.
I also got rid of the duckweed. Now that there's a decent plant mass I felt the need for it was gone. Originally it was there to help soak up nutrients and to shade the sand from the harsh light.
I also upgraded the light. Originally it had the bright blueish T8 bulb. I tried upgrading the bulb, but it was super super super yellow. I bought the Aqueon 2 bulb T5NO fixture. One 6,700k and one colourmax. $60 for the whole thing.
Not the best fixture, but on a tank this shallow it still produces pretty high lighting. After adding it my growth got much faster. Well Much faster than it was. My rotala has turned a lovely pink at the tips, My parrots feather shot up an inch or two, and my red ludwigia is taking on a nice reddish hue. The scape is almost done. I would like to get one more midground plant and replace the rock. But I have no idea what to get.
After that though its literally just going to be me trimming it into shape and waiting. I'm kinda liking it. The afternoon sun is hitting my room right now so I'll try and take a picture after it goes away.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #8
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Picture taken. Still with a really bad camera phone. Sorry about the picture quality. As you can see the plants still need to grow in. And the front of the wisteria needs to be trimmed back down in front. The red lidwigia is finally starting to bush out after a hardcore trim. I think next month all the plants will be pretty near what I want.
Any suggestions for what to replace that rock with would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1107111726.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	37334  

Name:	1107111727.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	37335  

Name:	1107111727a.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	37336  

Old 11-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Changes since my last update are..
The parrots feather and red ludwigia was just melting all its leaves. So I trimmed them both down to nubs because i was tired of leaves dropping. the parrots feather is finally in all submerged growth, and is actually a very pretty plant. the rotala is all submerged growth as well.
I don't think its rotala indica, which is what it was labeled as.
The baby guppy turned into a sort of mutt like lyre tail. Not pretty, but I have had him since he was a baby!! I'm emotionally attached. And the actual lyretail died after he jumped out the tank one day. I'm planning on getting another guppy as soon as they get them in. I really like 3 of them.
One of my cories died, but he never acted right from the beginning. From day one his top fin was always clamped down. A month or two in and he just died. I got another one and all is healthy.
I also go tthe oto two friends. Who he just ignores. He doesnt like being anywhere near them. And just forages right in front. It worked out really. Because they like being together, but hate being visible. So they clean all the parts that I can't see. And he hates being out of the light. and only cleans the parts that are visible.
Thats it really.
Adding some more crypts in and maybe some stones to creat some sort of border where the plants end and the sand begins.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
ghotifish
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Nice little tank! Ive been considering a little tank for my office, never seen this size before. Never heard of homemade fish food before either, is it little chunks that you feed? Are you still using it?

Carl
ghotifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghotifish View Post
Nice little tank! Ive been considering a little tank for my office, never seen this size before. Never heard of homemade fish food before either, is it little chunks that you feed? Are you still using it?

Carl
Its a super awesome tank. I love the size of it. I've also seen it de-rimmed and it looks great. Actually the back rim on top just comes off. No work required. The filter that came with it would have been awesome to stuff with media if it hadnt been so loud.

Yes. I keep all of the cubes in a ziplock bag in a Tupperware container in the freezer. I take one cube out wrap it in paper towel and put it in the fridge to defost. Takes a couple hours. I take it out and cut some slices off of it and cut those into cubes. However much I use in about a week. Which is usually two slices cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
I put the cubes in a baggy in the fridge and cut more weekly.

I feed about 4 -5 of them a day. They keep the fish full for much longer than flake foods and pellets.
Its my only food now besides the occasional bloodworm and some blanched cucumber.

I drop in cucumber every few days or so for the oto's. But my guppies and corries like to nibble on it while its there. and they get bloodworms once a week for some variety.

I love this food. Everyone is more active and colourful. In better condition. It fattened up the fish that were underweight. And got rid of one of my guppies fatty liver. Which made him look pregnant. I could gush for hours about it. It takes a month or two for the full effects to kick in. And keeps the water much cleaner than flakes.
I really recommend trying it out!!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Just went through and trimmed the rotala. I also cut back the front of the wisteria as it was encroaching too far forward for my tastes. The parrots feather is going to be needing a trim in a week or so.
I think that this scape will be almost done in about a month. I'm excited.
Went to the only fish store around that carries some more exciting species. Had lots of cool fish.
My friend was sad about my other guppy dying so she bought me a new one. And he has ot be the most stunning guppy I have ever seen. His tail is covered in perfectly spaced even dots in black. His front is bright lime green. His back is super royal blue. His top fin pure white. And the colours on his tail. They fade from purple to blue to yellow to red to green. He looks like a rainbow. I'm super excited.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Well...My friend stopped by and her smartphone camera is 9mp compared ot my 3mp... So these are better pictures. Hope they look ok.

You can't really see my new guppy in the pictures. But there is one guppy picture that blurry.. But you can see the colours almost perfectly.

And another note.. Can I point out what a lovely lovely lovely plant parrots feather is. Its so fluffy and thin and delicate and lovely. But it's also hardy and tough. I wasn't too sure about it when i first bought it. But now I'm really glad I did.

I'm also looking for a plant to put in place of the rock still. If you have any suggestions...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011-11-12 23.48.50 (Custom).jpg
Views:	273
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	37551  

Name:	2011-11-12 23.50.17 (Custom).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	37552  

Name:	2011-11-12 23.51.52 (Custom).jpg
Views:	161
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	37553  

Last edited by Eldachleich; 11-14-2011 at 06:25 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #14
Eldachleich
Wannabe Guru

Everything went crazy and got about 5 inches bigger in a 2 week span of time. Which is very fast for my tank. I did a huge trim And cut everything way down. It doesnt look as pretty but it was needed.
In other news. I have cory eggs. I turned on my light to discover my two female cories being pursued by the 3 males. They have been laying eggs all over the plants for hours. It's pretty neat to watch. I have no desire for baby cories so I;m not going to remove the eggs. If some survive to adulthood then I'm ok with them. But no special treatment.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #15
matty26
Planted Member

i think you should keep the rock there, it looks awesome there. Good contrast of colors
matty26 is offline   Reply With Quote