Quickie survey for the college crowd
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quickie survey for the college crowd

I teach high school and I'm curious about what colleges are requiring for math nowdays.

For college students and recent grads who don't mind sharing, I'd like to know your major and whether your degree required calculus, statistics, neither, or both.

Thanks in advance for your time.

My tanks
observant_imp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
sawallace
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Degree:Bachelor of Science, Business Administration
Computer Information Systems emphasis (equivalent to MIS)

Required Math:
Statistics with Applications
Managerial Statistics
Filstar Pimp #11
sawallace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Chemistry
Statistics is fairly important in terms of error analysis
Calculus ...well, I'd say fairly important if you are involved in physical chemistry. Differential equations even more so.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
New 2 fish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

When my major was Bio: College Algebra. There were two semesters of Physics required, but they had some algebra-based Physics. However, there was a lot of statistics involved in lab reports and I had no clue until.....
I switched my major to Public Administration. Now I am taking Statistics for Behavioral and Political Science, and Empirical Political Analysis, which is a more applied statistics class- Chi Square, survey designs, etc. Now I know what all that stuff was that I was trying to do for my lab reports!
I know that the Natural Science major at the local 2-yr school required precalculus, bc their Physics was calculus based.
Hope that helps!
5.5g with endlers.
New 2 fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2005, 01:22 AM   #5
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

First two years in Biochemistry (BS)
Required math: calculus

Last three years in Managerial Economics (BS)
Required math: Both calculus and statistics

Came in with AP credits for calculus from High School, but college still requires that you take their calc. courses. Graduated from a UC in Winter of 2001, so the info is a bit dated.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
KevinC
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

At The Citadel, all of our majors require a year of math (I think at the least this means 1 semester of calculus). However, I went to a high school that did not offer calculus. When I went to college I jumped right into it. My grades weren't stellar in calculus, but it was alright. I always tell my students now that I learned a lot of my calculus in the physics department.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 2x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2013, red tiger lotus, vals, java fern and moss, crypts, swords, mbuna tank: Yellow labs, Ps. demasoni, clown plecos, SAE's.

10g mini-reef. 16lbs LR, green mushroom, star polyps, wagon wheel polyps, purple mushroom, candycane, hammer, other zoas, CUC.
KevinC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
wetgreenthumb
Planted Member

My AAS in Information Technology required Algebra I.

My BA in Management required Accounting, Algebra II and Statistics I and II.

My MA in Computer Information Systems required Statistics III and Accounting (math).
Old 02-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I graduated BSME in '97, so this might actually be outdated, but Calculus was recommended, but not required. Algebra and Trigonometry was the only must-have for admission. I hadn't taken Calc in HS so I had to take a different Phsycis and Chemistry class that did not use differential equations. They were both 3 semester classes (as opposed to 2 semester, if you already had calc in HS) so it took me longer than four years to complete my degree.

Statistic wasn't required, but it should have been.

Even more so - Linear Algebra. I had ZERO exposure to matrices (multiplying, determinants, solving systems of equations using matrices, etc.) and that would have been extremely helpful.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #9
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

BS in biology, PHD in biology/ecology

I would recommend definitely:algebra, (some calculus is required by most programs), and definitely statistics...if itwere possible, introduce the students to research or experimental design tied with basic stats like t-tests, anova, regression, correlation, etc. Someone with those skills entering college would definitely have an advantage for obtaining undergrad research opportunities than the next kid.

I taught HS biology for 2 years before I went to grad school...there usually isn't much more I could cram in there because of how short the year is and how much emphasis there is on "basic skills" and state requirements.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:05 AM   #10
questnjurny
Algae Grower

Bachelor of Science in Nursing, only grade 11 math required. I would however recommend that people have a good grasp of up to grade 10 math...it amazes me what stumps people in my class.
questnjurny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
Snailpoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

BAs in Economics and History
JD

Economics required statistics, linear algebra, and multivarable calculus.
History had zero mathematical requirements.
Law had zero requirements, although the electives of accounting, tax, and corporate finance required statistics and rudimentary calculus.
Snailpoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #12
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm a BS: Biology and we're required to take either A: College Algebra, Business Calc, and Science Statistics or B: Pre-Calc, Calc, Stats (for those more masochistically inclined) Stastics is really important for those going into Biology for all the data manipulation and experimental stuff that's done. Physics and Chemistry are a big part of the Bio program and both are seriously math based as well. We're generally given the option of Algebra or Calc based Physics.

The Earth Sciences department requires Calculus (for science/engineering students) I and II, which I'll be taking as a pre-amble to the MS: ESCI program. Georgiadawgger hit it right on the nose as far as what the kids should be exposed to prior to declaring a science major and ending up changing to something else.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2005, 03:10 AM   #13
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

PTrader: (11/100%)

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I was hoping to see a trend that would help me give my juniors better advice in choosing between AP stat and AP calc next year. Since it seems to vary quite a bit, I've suggested they look up the requirements for the major and college of their choice. It seems like a better basis for advising them than what I've used in the past (algebra skills vs reading skills).

I also appreciate the suggestions as to what would actually be useful for them to learn. While I don't get to choose my curriculum, it's nice to know what "real world" people would choose.

My tanks
observant_imp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 04:03 AM   #14
patm
Planted Member

I'm a BS Marine Biology major at URI

I need two semesters Calculus
1.1.0 D. tinctorius 'Surinam Cobalt'
1.1.0 D. pumilio 'El Dorado'
1.1.0 D. pumilio 'Golddust Bastimentos'
TANK PICS
patm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.