Algae Control
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Jct6699

PTrader: (0/0%)

Algae Control

I have a planted two gallon Fluval Spec. It's starting to grow a lot of algae. There's only a crown tail Betta in it. I used to take out the betta an put an oto in there for a couple of days. It would take care of the algae very well, but it's not a very good long term solution. I would have to acclimate the fish every time I moved them. I can't just keep the oto in there since it's only a two gallon tank, and the betta doesn't get along with it. I tried putting a nerite snail in, but it ended up laying at bunch of eggs. Are there any options left for getting rid of the algae and have it as a permanent buddy with my betta? If not, I might just start a new tank for the betta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131028_181744.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	228065  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1383009518036.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	228073  

Jct6699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have otos and a betta that get along just fine...actually many others as well (community tank). So, maybe try adding two otos for a few days and keep the betta in a bowl then add him back. Try and let him see there that others were there first and maybe his dominance from that tank will not be an issue.

In the long run having otos or some other live animal perform your algae maintenance is the best solution. Much better than chemical warfare. Otherwise we'll need more info on your set up & parameters to try and determine what's causing the algae. Keep in mind that it's a good food source for snails & otos though...
jfynyson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, betta, planted