First planted tank- Upper Rio Negro Low-tech Biotope. Suggestions please! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #16
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
I'd tilt the wood left, but just see what looks good. You might try have the pieces of driftwood cross visually at the golden ratio point on the right side of the tank.

I wouldn't remove the submersed plants, but blackwater + T5NO lights means they probably won't get enough light, just like in nature.

My understanding is that Farlowella are in shallower fast-flowing water, in the middle of twiggy driftwood and overhanging branches. Royals and their close relatives are sort of unique in that they prefer hanging out in big driftwood snags to eat the bacteria growing on and in the wood. Your big pieces of driftwood suggest a deeper, siltier area of the river, so I think a royal would be more appropriate, but again, it's a question of how far to take the biotope, and how close is "good enough".
I'm probably going to keep the submersed plants (until they melt). I'll do the Salvinia on the left side, and maybe move it to the right side if the other plants die.

I'm worried about the potential size of a royal pleco. I want to do a strict biotope. Mongabay has Farlowella as a Rio Negro species.

I like the idea of crossing the driftwoods at the 'golden ratio'. I'll try that for my next few pics. Thanks Kuni!
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I have nothing to add, as I am too new at this myself - I just wanted to say that that is the most magnificent piece of driftwood I've ever seen in a tank!
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #18
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is cycled today! Adding the first of my cleaning-crew (Chaetostoma). I will post more pics in a couple weeks when the stocking is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
I have nothing to add, as I am too new at this myself - I just wanted to say that that is the most magnificent piece of driftwood I've ever seen in a tank!
Thanks driftwood hunter! It took me two days of paddling around the river to find the right stump. BTW, you ought to have nice driftwood in the New River. My folks live in Floyd, and all my cousins seem to go to Tech. Cheers!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #19
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

Five days without electricity, compliments of Hurricane Irene. Once the power came back on, all the fish, inverts, and plants were still alive and kicking!

Current stock:
9 Black tetras
2 Sunburst platys
6 Ghost shrimp
3 Black-fingered mud crabs
1 barnacle
Old 09-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #20
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added 7 Otos and 20 Pygmy Corys last weekend. So far everyone's doing fine. However, now I'm faced with another problem. My Rio Negro biotope has become a Rio Madeira biotope! Does anyone have any experience with Kerri Blue tetras? My LFS has some, and they're from the right area.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:34 AM   #21
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

They're slightly larger than tetras like Cardinals, etc. They can be nippy if not kept in large enough schools and with other fish with flowing fins. But otherwise are really lovely and usually hardy once established.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #22
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Likin it man. I have not read the entire thread, but I will. I like that T.V./tank setup.

You have me subscribed my dirty brother.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #23
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

How about a new picture with the new livestock included so we can see how things are progressing?
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #24
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
How about a new picture with the new livestock included so we can see how things are progressing?
I'm in the process of beginning fert dosing to get rid of some BGA. I ordered some KNO3 (currently 0ppm). Once this is done, I'll post some new pics of my livestock and plants.

Currently:
9 Black skirt tetras (they've spawned 4X in the last 1.5 months, and I have 50-75 fry growing out), 15-18 pygmy corys, 6 otos, 1 rubbernose pleco, 8 ghost shrimp (5 berried), 3 black-fingered mud crabs, and ~40 Malaysian trumpet snails.

Current params:
all rainwater
0,0,0 (need to dose NO3)
kH 3deg, GH 3 deg
76deg F

I just started feeding this tank with the leftover BBS I use for my tetra fry. I think my pygmy cories should spawn fairly soon!
The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

"
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught
." Baba Dioum

Triple-filtered Paludarium

Tags
biotope, blackwater, diy, low-tech, mts