Tropical Sunset Hygro
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-17-2005, 04:04 AM   #1
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Tropical Sunset Hygro

How can you tell the difference between regulat hygro and the tropical sunset form? I ordered some from aquariumplants.com and it never once looked like the pictures I have seen of this plant. Even my rotala came in red (but lost it's color), and this plant just never looked right at all. It does grow like a weed though.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

It only gets that pink color under high lighting. I have tropical sunset hygro too, but since I had to turn the lights down a bit to get the algae under control, it just looks green like regular hygro.
-Aphyosemion
Old 02-18-2005, 05:33 PM   #3
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

It must need extremely high light then because I have 3.25 wpg and the stems have reached the surface right under the light and are still green. Doesn't even have the white veins.
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:52 AM   #4
New 2 fish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Just curious what your nitrates are. I have some tropical sunset and since I've gotten my nitrates to around 10 and below, the colors are really coming out and the plant looks great! This is under 3.6wpg, DIY CO2.
5.5g with endlers.
New 2 fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:52 AM   #5
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

They are currently 20 ppm, but have had them low before at about 10 ppm. Are the tropic sunset version's leaves smaller than regular hygro, mine are quite large.
Filstar pimp #53

Old 02-20-2005, 04:43 AM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

I get pretty pink Sunset Hygro under low light, combined with low Nitrates. Maybe you need high light for it to turn pink when Nitrates are high.

In any case, you might have gotten regular Hygro.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
Anthony
Wannabe Guru

That's what I think. I have had it at 2.5 wpg nitrates as low as 5ppm(my wallichi was dark red then), and now 3.25 wpg nitrates at 20(my glandulosa is almost purple)
Filstar pimp #53

Old 02-22-2005, 02:29 AM   #8
nater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm not bashing aquariumplants.com, but I also recently ordered sunset hygro. from them and received regular hygro. in my order. I called them and let them know and they sent the correct plants the second time. This sort of thing has happened with every order that I placed with them, but they have fixed the mistakes eventually when I bring it to their attention.
nater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:35 AM   #9
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I think it may not be low NO3 that crates that pink/magenta veining, but more of a higher PO4:NO3 ratio. I've had NO3 at 15ppm, and when my PO4 got to 2+ppm I started to get some really dark magenta veining. When I got the ratio back to the standard 10:1 then the veining gets more pinkish.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:44 AM   #10
New 2 fish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Ah! You could be right; I just got my phosphates down from above 10! I had used a phosphate buffer and they were out of control....
5.5g with endlers.
New 2 fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:11 PM   #11
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Hmm...I thought I had ordered Sunset Hygro from Aquariumplant.com, too. As it turns out, doing a little research and picture comparison, I DO in fact have REGULAR hygro! I'm not sure if they sent me the wrong stuff, or if I just changed my mind at the last second and decided to go with the regular H. polysperma, rather than the sunset. I will check when I get home, since I saved the original order and folded it up and put it in the canopy of my tank, just so I remember what I originally intended for it.
Edit: Okay, I looked up my order on Aquariumplant.com. As it turns out, I did order regular H. Polysperma. I think I must've been wanting a green background plant at the time. My original concept had a LOT of reds and pinks in there, but due to having to turn the lighting down a little, it now has a LOT of green in it, hehheh.
-Aphyosemion
Old 02-23-2005, 05:14 PM   #12
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
I think it may not be low NO3 that crates that pink/magenta veining, but more of a higher PO4:NO3 ratio. I've had NO3 at 15ppm, and when my PO4 got to 2+ppm I started to get some really dark magenta veining. When I got the ratio back to the standard 10:1 then the veining gets more pinkish.
Will this work for Rotala indica also?
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:45 PM   #13
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphyosemion
Hmm...I thought I had ordered Sunset Hygro from Aquariumplant.com, too. As it turns out, doing a little research and picture comparison, I DO in fact have REGULAR hygro! I'm not sure if they sent me the wrong stuff, or if I just changed my mind at the last second and decided to go with the regular H. polysperma, rather than the sunset. I will check when I get home, since I saved the original order and folded it up and put it in the canopy of my tank, just so I remember what I originally intended for it.
Edit: Okay, I looked up my order on Aquariumplant.com. As it turns out, I did order regular H. Polysperma. I think I must've been wanting a green background plant at the time. My original concept had a LOT of reds and pinks in there, but due to having to turn the lighting down a little, it now has a LOT of green in it, hehheh.
-Aphyosemion
Well, if you need any real 'sunset' Hygro let me know and I'll send you some clippings.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #14
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
Will this work for Rotala indica also?
It may, but my rotundifolia tends to get a deeper orange rather than pink.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:11 AM   #15
shalu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

With sunset hygro, I am quite sure it does not need low NO3 or strong light to turn pink because I had it pink under very low light and pretty high NO3. Bill is probably right about high PO4.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
shalu is offline   Reply With Quote