Pond Platy Explosion!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
BonesCJ
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pond Platy Explosion!

I am curiose has anyone else kept any tropicals like guppys, platys or mollies in their ponds during the summer months? I finished remodling my pond into a dedicated watergarden that is only 8 -12 inches deep but has 30-40 Sq feet of surface area and to keep mosquito larvea under control I added 16 platys. I choose 4 different color patterns and purchased 4 of each fish, after about 1 month in the pond their numbers have EXPLODED! The adults are huge and there have to be at least 40-60 second generation fish in there as well, everything from 1 inch to 1/3 inch. Seeing as my 210 in my house is pretty lightly stocked right now I will be collecting as many as I can when cool weather approaches and placing them in the tank, any extras I will just give away.

It is kinda funny, I filled 75% of my water garden with pots full of plants and figured the fish may have issues with the lack of "Open" swimming space, HAH! they showed me. As far as I can tell they love the cover and lack of predators.
BonesCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
VadimShevchuk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk

Throw in a SA cichlid that can handle the temps and you have them under control in no time!
VadimShevchuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
paddles
Algae Grower

we regularly put mollies and guppies in the pond at the start of summer, winter here knocks them off. but they breed like crazy over summer and look pretty... the first time it happened by accident, I must have sucked some babies out doing a water change on the tank...
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
allegoriest
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to allegoriest

Daww~

I have mollies for mine. They started breeding, but I had lots of birds that apparently think they're delicious. ;__; But I'm bringing the mollies inside today. (Also, all the babies seem to have the same mom, mine are all different colours, and all the babies match ONE fish.
allegoriest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Platies might as well be pest fish :/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.