DIY stand for multiple tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

DIY stand for multiple tanks

I've never built anything in my life, but when I do something, I like to research and do it big and right. So I'm asking for a little advice. I'm wanting to build a stand that will house a 20 long on top, followed by 2 10 gallons turned with the sides facing the front instead of the normal longways, and 2 more 10 gallons the same way underneath that. Roughly that will be 600 plus lbs of weight. I know I could go by some shelves, but this is not an option, as this is going in a den and has to look good.

Will 2 x 4's be strong enough for something like this?

__________________________________________________ _______________

*edit

Final results (more pics on page 3)

Also decided to only do 2 shelfs, counting the top.

Ended up using 2x4's on everything except the bottom. The bottom is made from 2x8's. The plywood is 3/4".

It's not flawless, but I'm very satisfied for my first diy project.

Last edited by BradH; 09-01-2011 at 09:42 PM..
BradH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
redfishsc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well keep in mind that 4-story houses are also built with 2X4s, so yes, you can definitely build this out of 2X4.

I'm 100% confident that a single 2X4, 48" long, stood on it's nose, could hold 100% of the weight of all your tanks combined, if only there were a way to balance it . The vertical strength of a vertical 2X4 is quite staggering.

It all depends on how you construct it--- you simply need to make sure you've built it such that it cannot rack side to side/front to back. There are a lot of very good DIY 2X4 stand plans online that you only need to modify such that it's the length/width that you need.

I do recommend you get a 3/4" plywood top cut for it, after you build the stand, if you are putting tanks of various widths on there. Just inset the plywood top into the middle of the stand's top 2X4 frame, and brace it underneath with 2X4's.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! I was going to use 3/4' plywood for all the shelving and the frame underneath each shelf would have 2x4's going across, sort of like rail road ties. That's the best way I can describe it without drawing it out.

One concern I just thought about. If the width or depth of the shelves will need to be wider than the 20 gallon long to accommodate the 10 gallons sitting side ways. So that means that the 20 gallon long on top will not be sitting directly on the edge of the framing supports. Will have have an impact?

Hopefully I explained that well enough. Basically the 20 gallon long will be sitting on the edges length wise, but there will be some wood exposed in front and behind, so it will not be supported directly by the framing of the stand.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

2x4 on their nose for the legs, 2x4 on the narrow side for the shelf supports, 3/4 ply for the shelf board. Stain, clear coat, done.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
One concern I just thought about. If the width or depth of the shelves will need to be wider than the 20 gallon long to accommodate the 10 gallons sitting side ways. So that means that the 20 gallon long on top will not be sitting directly on the edge of the framing supports. Will have have an impact?

Hopefully I explained that well enough. Basically the 20 gallon long will be sitting on the edges length wise, but there will be some wood exposed in front and behind, so it will not be supported directly by the framing of the stand.
for the 20 shelf, if you have 2x4 pieces going front to back, that rest on the 2x4 rails that go left to right then it shouldnt have an impact
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
for the 20 shelf, if you have 2x4 pieces going front to back, that rest on the 2x4 rails that go left to right then it shouldnt have an impact
Thank you. That's what I was trying to describe. lol You said it better than I did. So you think that is ok then?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #7
Misfit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a similar stand I built with a 20L on top and two shelves with three 10 gallons on them. When I get off work, I could snap a few pics if you want something to compare to.
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Taari
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Just make sure that your tank edges are supported by more than just 3/4" plywood. It's strong, but not that strong, and it will bow and lead to uneven support of the tank, which causes pressure points and weakening of the joints of the tank. Even in a house, the plywood on the floor bends and gives as you walk on it.

Here is how a member on another forum constructed his stand, specifically the joints for the shelves on a multi-level tank stand.

Taari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
I have a similar stand I built with a 20L on top and two shelves with three 10 gallons on them. When I get off work, I could snap a few pics if you want something to compare to.
That would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
Just make sure that your tank edges are supported by more than just 3/4" plywood. It's strong, but not that strong, and it will bow and lead to uneven support of the tank, which causes pressure points and weakening of the joints of the tank. Even in a house, the plywood on the floor bends and gives as you walk on it.

Here is how a member on another forum constructed his stand, specifically the joints for the shelves on a multi-level tank stand.

Thanks for the pic!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just thought of another thing. This is going in my den and it has tile flooring, pretty much looks exactly like this picture.

I wonder if that will be too much weight on the tile?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
jasonpatterson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If a fat guy stood on one foot on his tiptoes in there, would the tile crack? As long as the stand's foot isn't a single tiny spot (the result of a sloppy cut, basically) then it ought to be spreading out the weight over about 21 square inches. If the weight is evenly distributed you're looking at about 30 pounds per square inch, which shouldn't be a problem if the tiles were laid properly.
jasonpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
If a fat guy stood on one foot on his tiptoes in there, would the tile crack? As long as the stand's foot isn't a single tiny spot (the result of a sloppy cut, basically) then it ought to be spreading out the weight over about 21 square inches. If the weight is evenly distributed you're looking at about 30 pounds per square inch, which shouldn't be a problem if the tiles were laid properly.
lol Thanks for the info. I just want to be sure I don't screw anything up. As you can see, I'm not much of a handyman and don't know anything about it. This is my first venture into making something on my own.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

If the tile was installed properly and it's ordinary tile, it should be able to withstand 150 pounds of deadweight on each leg of the stand without any trouble.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
lol Thanks for the info. I just want to be sure I don't screw anything up. As you can see, I'm not much of a handyman and don't know anything about it. This is my first venture into making something on my own.
Venturing into the unknown is half the fun.

Make sure you read and understand some basic safety things about the tools you use and don't forget to wear safety goggles or safety glasses.

Research anything new you want to try very well first and try to understand some of the pitfalls that you may encounter.

Most of it's a hobby enjoy your self, explore and have fun... but being injured isn't fun.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
BradH
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will def. do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.