LFS In Chicago Area -- Updated Feb 13, '12 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Illinois

Old 12-27-2011, 02:30 AM   #31
Salem
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Salem

Old orchard aquarium - how i hate thy let me count the ways lol
ya old orchard has a very rude staff and from what i gathered every time ive ever gone in they dont seem to care onewho claimd to be the owner didnt really want to explain to a friend of mine about CO2 in planted tanks and justifyed it by assuming we couldnt/wouldnt buy the equipment anyway my friend bought it just to prove the point

As for ocean design Tony ( the guy in charge ) is cool he sometimes seems liek hes to busy to talk but you just need to start the conversation they recently moved and ive only bin to the new location once but at the old location he had a decent selection of plants ive bin asking for like 2 years for him to get me a pair of apistos no luck tho

theres the store new fish on divission the guy there james is good to deal with and THE ONLY FISH GUY TO EVER ACCTUALY GET THE FISH I REQUESTED it was a two week time period but at new fish they take your info and let you knopw when it comes in

I am am former employe of Aquatic world its on belmont and damen they are almost all service now and only open to the public one day a week but if you talk to sean ( the owner ) im sure you can get him to go out of his way to order or help

im sad to hear what you were saying about aquarium adventure the last time i was there it was a good expiriance
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I'm going to be in the North Center, Roscoe Village, Lake View Area on Saturday. Any suggestions of FLS to check out. I'm coming in from the NW Subs.

Not really in need of plants but that's never stopped me.

Thanks
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #33
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I'm going to be in the North Center, Roscoe Village, Lake View Area on Saturday. Any suggestions of FLS to check out. I'm coming in from the NW Subs.

Not really in need of plants but that's never stopped me.

Thanks
To be honest, nothing around there really.

If you want to go out of your way a little, Golden (31st and Archer) is well worth checking out, their main display tank is maybe a 75? planted running pressurized Co2. Other than that, Fish Planet is probably the best the Chicago area has to offer, which is up closer to you.
larcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #34
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Devin - I do want to go to Golden just really can't devote the time this Sat.

I might head home via Evanston/Wilmette and hoit the stores there.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #35
zenche
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

i've personally never been impressed with golden, been there 2 or 3 times. small, not very clean, though the fish quality seem pretty good.

i've never been to fish planet though...will try to check it out sometime.
zenche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #36
ucantimagine
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)

I like Chicago Aquarium on N Clark in Andersonville. It's a small place but the fish are healthy and the prices are good. They mostly carry run-of-the-mill stock. They had Knight Goby and several types of fresh (dwarf) and brackish puffers when I was there today. They also have female bettas which you don't find too much. (Old Town doesn't stock them) They have 2 dedicated plant tanks. Nothing exceptional but nothing I've bought from them has ever died or gotten sick. They did have a few golf ball-sized Marimo Balls for $5.99. I'll get one next time I'm there---save me one! They have Tropical, Goldfish, Koi and Marine stock as well as the usual supplies and a nice selection of tanks from nano to big bow fronts.
ucantimagine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #37
MuddyWishkah
Algae Grower

Kevin @ Old Town Aquarium has been ordering some amazing nano fish lately. Hara jerdoni, Danio tinwini, Boraras naevus, Nannostomus morganthaleri, Adonis Tetra, just to name a few. Definitely worth the premium.

56g Guyana Backwater
40g Borneo Stream
20g Crypt brook
MuddyWishkah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 AM   #38
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantimagine View Post
I like Chicago Aquarium on N Clark in Andersonville. It's a small place but the fish are healthy and the prices are good. They mostly carry run-of-the-mill stock. They had Knight Goby and several types of fresh (dwarf) and brackish puffers when I was there today. They also have female bettas which you don't find too much. (Old Town doesn't stock them) They have 2 dedicated plant tanks. Nothing exceptional but nothing I've bought from them has ever died or gotten sick. They did have a few golf ball-sized Marimo Balls for $5.99. I'll get one next time I'm there---save me one! They have Tropical, Goldfish, Koi and Marine stock as well as the usual supplies and a nice selection of tanks from nano to big bow fronts.
If you don't mind, i would like to add this as a review. I recently went there for the first time also, so I will add a bit if you don't mind?
Old 02-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #39
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump for updates.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #40
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Aquarium Adventure - Hoffman Estates

http://www.aquariumadventure.com/Sto.../ContactUs.htm

Went there today around noon. Didn't know they were a subsidiary of PetLand. Bad mark in my book before I get out of my car, PetLand sells Puppy Mill Puppies. I won't support any company that does that. But, since I was therethought I should at least go in an look.

Lots of help scurrying around. But apparently you have to take a number like in a deli or something to get anyone to pay attention to you. Or maybe there is a dress code??? I was there 45min. before some asked me if I was looking for something. STRIKE 2

When I finally did get approached the guy was friendly

Large amount and decent variety of plants. However, they all looked washed out in color. They did look healthy enough that if you are anyone but a complete new be you should be able to salvage them. This is why I alway try to remind people you get what you pay for with plants. Better to by from a member on Swap and pay more to be successful.

I really like the larger show case tanks. To see large Frontosa in a a huge tank was very cool. They do have a larger store and carry a lot of products I only have seen online. Only saw one floater in all tanks. Their fish looked healthy. They were heavily stocked today I have to think they had recently received an order.

Over all O.K., worth the visit if you are in the area if for no other reason that to see the display tanks. Prices on Hard goods were fair a few very good prices on larger tanks. Large amount of tanks on hand and happy to order what ever you want.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-13-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #41
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

I went there today as well around 10 am to pick up my 75 gallon. They are having a sale this weekend. Plants and fish marked up and then discounted and $1.50 gallon sale. Picked up my 75gal for $112

The guy helping me slide my tank into the truck mentioned to come back next weekend they are having 65% off fish and plants if I remember correctly.
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log
D3monic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #42
larcat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Feb 13 update bump.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #43
lmt6600
Algae Grower

Im new to this site and I like it so far, great pics etc. Im glad to see local area as well.
Here are some LFS that I visit, some might be repeat from what you guys put up already.

I live in the NW suburb.
1. Aquarium adventures- Hoffman
2. Birds and Beast in Crystal lake, good basic freshwater and some saltwater, very friendly people. Prices can be high, specially plecos. Family owned. You guys should visit for sure!
3. Something Fishy in Foxlake, not alot of stuff but its aquarium store!
4. Best Pets in Antioch(downtown), great people, They sell used aquariums, lights and parts. I heard they just move to a bigger place, I haven't check them out yet since they moved.
5. Animal Island in Midlothian. Not very big store but fairly decent selection, I dont think they sell saltwater fish. Friendly owner.
6. Tropiquatics in Lombard.. Great Fresh and Saltwater selection. Decent prices. Friendly people.

Not necessarily in order of best, just listed it as I remember them.
lmt6600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
BigCountry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The Ark on Route 30 in Merrillville, IN is a great store for anyone in the southern burbs or NW Indiana. Was my favorite store, I made one last visit there before I moved away. I love their selection.
BigCountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #45
nanobettaman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've been wandering the countryside looking for decent LFS on the West side of the Chicago area (I live in Dekalb)

This is what I've found:

Critters - 1437 W. Main Street, St. Charles

Fish cave has ~30-40 tanks, all fresh. Best selection I've seen so far. They have nerites, Amano, and get RCS fairly often. They have some plants, but pretty basic stuff. The first time I went in there the plants tank was a BSA mess. Yesterday the tank was pretty clean. The setup is wrong for a planted tank and they don't sell any real fertz, so I'm not sure what the owner's methods are. Prices overall are a bit on the high side, the employees are hit and miss, the younger are more friendly than the older ones.

Dan's Pets and More - 432 N. Main St, Sycamore

If he ever gets around to it, he'll have a nice fish room (3700 gal) as of right now it's only half operational ~25 tanks or so. A few generic plants in the tanks with the fish. some look a bit rough. Not much of a fish selection, all freshwater, guppies, platies, tetras, etc. The owner has only been there once when I've stopped in, otherwise his kids are running the place. His focus is on other critters right now. Lots of puppies going through.

Sea Escapes - 1950 Silver Glen Road, South Elgin

Sells the high-end "Zero-Edge" tanks (my jaw hit the floor when I saw them, then again when I saw the price!). Selection is mostly saltwater, lots and lots of cool frags. Prices are on the high side, does sell the new Seachem fertilizer line. Help is generally not outgoing. The owner was there when I checked out and we chatted a bit about planted tanks, he says he's working getting two high-tech systems going by the 1st of the year because he has more customers lately asking about plants. Then he basically told me nothing will grow well without really really hard water, so I don't know how much experience he really has. He seems nice enough tho, and he's responding to customer demands by setting up the tanks. So I'll keep my eye on that store.

If anyone has suggestions about where else I can go while still avoiding Chicago traffic, let me know...

Last edited by nanobettaman; 09-03-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Black string, not blue-green algae.
nanobettaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.