DIY Reactor Ques..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-04-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
IceWish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to IceWish

I built a reactor lastnight and set it to work...when i got i noticed that there were very very tiny bubbles comming out of he reactor only noticable if you look from really close.They float up to the top and just sit there.they covermy entire water line.Is that a good thing?
Sorry for the bad pics...i just took them and i was in a hurry.U cant see the bubbles from the pics though just the reactor.
How in the world do you take good aquarium pics? I guess u close all windows so u dont get glare...but what about the flash..on or off hummmm.
IceWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 06:36 PM   #2
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Small bubbles are supposed to be good, but I heard that if bubbles don't pop that is bad. But then again, isn't it more difficuilt to get smaller bubbles to pop anyways? What kind of substrate do you have?

-Tim
Old 05-04-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
IceWish
Algae Grower

i have one layer of normal soil ....then a layer of azoo plant grower bed and finally a layer of gravel over that.its about 4" in the back and 2" in front.I also have 1 plant stick under every plant.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just built one of these reactors too. I had three powerheads and an old gravel vac kicking around. Anyways.. my question is I am using a AC Powerhead 201, 1. Is it powerful enough? 2. Soon as I turn it on there are all sorts of bubbles coming out (just air not co2), is this supposed to happen or is something with the way the powerhead is mounted?

Thanks
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 12:29 AM   #5
IceWish
Algae Grower

Once the entire pump is submerged youre not supposed to be getting any bubbles just co2.Are u sure its covered all the way?
Old 05-06-2003, 01:45 AM   #6
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, it's completely submerged. I thought it was the way the pump was oriented so I sqitch it to horizontal and ran a tube from the powerhead to the gravel vac. Same deal. Doesn't make much sense to me. Seems to be working though. No bubbles go to the surface of the tank. I dunno, maybe I should just buy a RIO and see where that gets me?
Old 05-06-2003, 03:56 AM   #7
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinlo
Yeah, it's completely submerged. I thought it was the way the pump was oriented so I sqitch it to horizontal and ran a tube from the powerhead to the gravel vac. Same deal. Doesn't make much sense to me. Seems to be working though. No bubbles go to the surface of the tank. I dunno, maybe I should just buy a RIO and see where that gets me?
Bad idea. If I could do mine again I would NOT get a RIO. They have to be the worst powerheads/pumps ever in my opinion. I have used pretty much everyother brand, and never again RIO. They are totally unreliable and I have heard horror stories about them. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to this loud noise, and it is my powerhead stalled making all sorts of noises. I have to get up and turn the darn thing off just to get some sleep.

Kyle
Old 05-06-2003, 10:41 AM   #8
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hm, I was considering a Rio for a sump. Now it looks like I need to consider something else. :roll:

James
Old 05-06-2003, 04:06 PM   #9
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well.. maybe I won't go with the RIO. I check my PH today and it has lowered down to 6.8 over night (with a weak bubble count).. so I guess my reactor is working.. I'll check again tonight.. see what the PH is then.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:29 AM   #10
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Now don't take that as the sole reason for not getting one, as it is just my opinion. Try searching for RIO reviews and see what else you get. Overall when I was looking into powerheads for my nano reef, Rio was generally the brand people shun the most.

Kyle
Old 05-07-2003, 08:44 AM   #11
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

I like my Rio. It's simple and for this application, that's a plus. They're pretty darn cheap too, so if you want to replace it, it isn't that big of a deal.

37 gallon AGA Black Seal, Emperor 400, Ebo Jager 200 W, 100% Flourite Substrate, 2x55 Watt AH Supply PC Lighting (5300K & 6400K) @ ~3.4 WPG, High-Pressure CO2.
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #12
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

But the real question here is.. are there always bubbles in the chamber (gravel vac) even when there is no CO2 present?
Old 06-10-2003, 06:53 PM   #13
carpediem360
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to carpediem360

You know I have some of these home made systems and they aren't bad. What I used to do is run it right into the intake to my canister filter. It works so nice cause all of the co2 is being put in your tank. Now I have found only one problem with this system. I can't keep the seal tight from the bottle to the air hose. I'm useing aquarium sealant and I do let it sit for a day. Anyone have any ideas????
carpediem360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #14
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

I believe the cap of the soda bottles is made with polyethylene which I don't think any glue will stick to. I've used aquarium selant before and it eventually leaks. My current DIY co2 at my office uses epoxy to hold the cap to a brass barb, it seems to work pretty well.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:15 PM   #15
carpediem360
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to carpediem360

A brass barb????
carpediem360 is offline   Reply With Quote