Hamburger Mattenfilter for a low tech setup - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #31
jdm68
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

So here is a good place that has tons of different size, thickness, and pore choice Poret sponge filters available.
http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%...Pricelist.html
I haven't been able to find many other places that sell Poret brand, which is apparently really great, as it is designed for aquariums and sure to withstand the environment. Hope it helps somebody. I'll be buying from them when I set up a HMF in a 10g after I move.
jdm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #32
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Default 10/9/11

Power head driven Matten 10g fry tank

I'll really be looking at the flow once the free swimming starts.
This will be great for LFABN but not sure on my angels as powered currently.
It is an O2 factory though.

2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #33
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Mike, I am so jealous. Thanks to the vet and car bills, my project is on hold for at least the rest of the year. Don't even have a stand for the tank built yet. I do have dirt, turface, light bulb, reflector and powerhead. So it's a work in SLOW progress.

Thank you for the build pictures. This will help a great deal. Will you update it in a few months with the progress?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #34
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Has anyone else tried this lately? If so, what is the verdict?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #35
TheWoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

A guy I know in Germany (top corydoras breeder) uses nothing but matten filters.

This is a good but long read on how they work. http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/

I have contacted a local manufacturer of polyurethane foam but he isn't sure about a copper additive they usually use.

Looking forward to reading your decision.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #36
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

I purchased my foam from Angels Plus so no concerns on the material and the sump and fry tank both are working well
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #37
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

Can't tell you how excited I was to visit the forum today after spending a couple weeks researching this type of filter.

Looks like this is a super-efficient way to filter tanks for us shrimp nerds.

Set one up in a new 20L a couple weeks ago and so far I have no complaints. Way more efficient than running 3-4 separate sponge filters and less obtrusive.

Can't wait to see how sewingalot's project turns out.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #38
aquatic serenity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Is the main benefit of this type of filter denitrification?
If so - I am achieving lower nitrates using a scintered glass product called SIPORAX....I employ it in a slow flow canister filter with good results...
When I had reef tanks in the early 80's I would use 4" thick foam blocks placed strategically in a low flow area of the sump to lower nitrates...so I am convinced this method will work for that purpose.
aquatic serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #39
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

The main reason for the filter is biological fitration, aquatic serenity. This filter has been known to produce nitrates often times, and in planted tanks, this will be a bonus. There are a few words about denitrifation and this filter here: http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/

Update on my status:
I got the foam from darkestsky more than a few weeks back. But now I am selling the 33 for financial reasons, so this will be going in a 15 gallon long. This is a little more tricky as the foam will take up more ratio, but I still plan to go through with it to try it out. The benefits are still very impressive to me. I have a powerhead already and also the tubing to hook it up. Here is what is currently stopping me: I am wanting to build a removable container to hold the foam in place. I gave this a lot of thought and I decided silicone would be a bad choice in case this doesn't work out well for me. I have some spare acrylic hanging around, but the dremel is MIA. Once we locate it, the build will commense and I'll update with pictures and progress. But hey, I am ahead of my 3 year schedule already.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #40
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Watching the progress of a Sewingalot DIY project can be as exciting as watching Crypt Parva make a carpet. It ends up being well worth watching, but never sets the pulse racing.

I'm in limbo with my planted tank hobby now, with my tanks all torn down, all but one sold or given away, and waiting to get the place ready to sell for a move to an apartment. When I get resettled I plan to set up my 65 gallon tank as a non-CO2 tank, with a mattenfilter as the only filtration. I want something entirely in the tank - no hoses.

Watching my wife and I make a housing change is like watching molasses flow in sub-zero climates.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #41
KH2PO4
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
If you use a sump, then these are part of the filter anyway
They are easier to clean and take up less space in the tank that way.

I just use big blocks O foam, 4" or so and snug fit them to the sump after the wet/dry tower. All my tanks have them.
Tom, but yours doesn't look fit into the MattenFilter main concept which is
very slow flow through the foam, to give the water long contact time with bacteria.
That's why they use large cross sectional area material ("large but thin", as the
thickness beyond a few cm serves no significant function).

From http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/
Quote:
I think it should be quite clear from the article: two or more smaller filtermats in a row don't work. It's in the article and in the FAQ again. Don't do it, I agree with Olaf here. You do the maths and you will see. The amount of filtration needed is related to your tank size, but should be around two tanks per hour. A bit less or more isn't going to kill anything. So the amount of water that goes through your setup is a fixed number. Most of the required bacteria can be found in the first half inch of the mat. Anything after that is basically thickness for the sake of stability. So the same amount of water has to travel through a much smaller frontal surface, resulting in a higher speed. Too high, in fact. The whole point was to reduce flow rate! It's not going to work. By stacking smaller bits of foam behind each other, you are reinventing the cannister filter, horizontally.
While it apparently works for you, but it's just not MattenFilter.
KH2PO4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #42
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

When I set up my 55 I just stuck it to the end of the tank and gave up the last 2-3 inches of the tank. With the same piece in a 75 I set it up as a corner filter. I set mine up with aluminum angle, although I would use 2x or 4x thick glass if I were to do it again.

I've since planted mine with xmas moss and java fern.
Foam from http://swisstropicals.com/. If you look at his fish room, all of the tanks are low tech with HMF filters in the back, or towers of the same foam.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #43
longbeach
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've been running an HMF filter in my 55 for 5 years now. Great filter, so far the only maintenance has been to occasionally syphon off the filter.

I use a piece of Poret Foam that runs across the tank full width.

It shortens the tank by 5 inches. The filter is a piece 12 X 19 Poret X 2 inches thick with a small sump pump in the water.

One side of course faces the main tank and the other is water space that is pumped out back to the tank. I do use a homemade sprinkler to diffuse the flow a bit.

I want to covert it now to a shrimp tank, then the syphoning cleaning may have to stop. I can visualize that foam as beening a major shrimp feeding station, and hangout for the babies.

I did this as a test experiment and if you don't mind losing a few inches off the tanks length, it is a super very low maintenance filter.
longbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #44
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccaclimber View Post
When I set up my 55 I just stuck it to the end of the tank and gave up the last 2-3 inches of the tank. With the same piece in a 75 I set it up as a corner filter. I set mine up with aluminum angle, although I would use 2x or 4x thick glass if I were to do it again.
Do you mean you would use strips of glass siliconed to the tank walls to hold it in place? Are your aluminum pieces siliconed in place?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #45
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

The aluminum angle is siliconed to the walls in my tank. The foam stays in place on its own. As it turns out, placing plastic mesh between the foam and aluminum also makes putting a moss wall over it very easy. The aluminum however is a bit unsightly. There are a couple ways I could fix this.
1) I could attach some plastic mesh to cover it and grow it out.
2) I could use just the angle on the back, put a plate of glass on that, and wedge the foam in between (I'll make a picture).
3) Like the above photo or option 2, but without the aluminum angle. This would require gluing the new pane to the bottom for extra support (a good idea with option 2 as well). Placing a small plate near the top (planar with the bottom of the tank, orthogonal to the new pane and back wall) would support the top.

Edit: schematic of Option 2 attached. Gray is aluminum, light blue is glass, darker blue is foam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corner 2.GIF
Views:	76
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	38080  

Last edited by jccaclimber; 11-29-2011 at 12:50 AM..
jccaclimber is offline   Reply With Quote