Hamburger Mattenfilter for a low tech setup - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #166
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
Hoppy, that looks good! Love the tip about cutting slits, rather than a hole. I imagine an "X" would work too. I am really looking forward to trying this out, and I'd like to hide my heater behind it, too.
It is an "X" cut, and it works very well. But, my oven mineralizing didn't work well. I stirred up the still warm soil and it still had a smell, so I added water and rebaked it. This time it filled the house with the smell of composted bark. And, my wife returned before I could air out the place. Needless to say, it is now on to Plan B.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #167
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Oops! I thought you meant an "L" when you said right angles. I'd love to know what your wife said about baking soil in her oven - LOL
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #168
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

"X" or "+" cuts work well, and will 99% re-seal if you decide not to use them later. For my 20 longs I just made a slit down from the top so that I can adjust the height of the air driven lift tubes. It takes a little while to seal around the tube, but it does before the tank is done cycling, at least for me.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #169
Daximus
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Needless to say, it is now on to Plan B.
Priceless!

I'm loving this thread, almost makes me want to tear down my 90 and sell my canister. Keep posting y'all!
Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #170
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeach View Post
So you want to grow algae and moss??? Here is my HMF filter after 5 years... I do need to clean it this spring... and sorry the pic isn't great but the filter is in my 55 gal and is approx 12" X 20"... it just keeps running.. love it.

The algae looks awful but is only about 1.5 - 2" thick
Very nice! I'd love to have a sample of that algae for my collection!!!

Okay, Hoppy glad to hear about the move since that means you are setting up the tank. Way to make me look bad on my laziness.

By the way, I have decided to sell of all three of my canisters, an inline heater, and cerges reactor and go to either HMF in all tanks or sponge filters depending on the cost.

Onto my news without pictures, I poked a hole in my sponge with scissors and forced the tubing into it. It forms a really tight seal. I haven't gotten much further than that as I am now trying to locate the suction cup holder for my powerhead. This is so slow going.

I really like your setup, Hoppy! That is cool. But I think HX67 is the winner still.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #171
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I really like your setup, Hoppy! That is cool. But I think HX67 is the winner still.
For sure! Competing with that is like me trying out for a NBA team.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 AM   #172
Beer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

You guys have me thinking now.
My tank is too small to fit a 2" thick piece of foam across the back, and I think even a corner or even half circle in the center would still be too much.
One of the biggest issues is finding a pump that would only turn over a 7 gallon tank two or three times.
My idea is to run a HOB style filter.
I'll use a pump that puts out 42GPH. Put the pickup at the center of the back wall, then push the output to the bottom of the filter housing. I would split half of the flow to each side. I would make a spray-bar type output that pushes the water down against the bottom of the housing to minimize channeling thru the filter. This would cause the water to flow up from the bottom, thru the filter pad, then out the water fall return back into the tank.
Splitting the output of the pump would put 21GPH (79.5L/Hr) thru each half, 3x turnover for each side.
5 cm/min of flow thru a 2" filter (5cm) comes out to 1 min of contact time for the water to pass thru the filter (typical setup from what I've read thru so far). So, If I were to use a 6 inch (15.25cm) filter hight and stuck with 1 minute to flow thru the filter, this would give me a flow rate of 15.25 cm/min thru the filter. This is within the recommended range, altho a bit on the high side.

So using the equations posted earlier:

Area of the filter = tank turnover rate x volume thru filter x 1000 / (flow rate thru mat x 60)
(6)(79.5L/Hr)(1000cm3/L)/[(15.25cm/min)(60min)] = 521.3 cm2 = 80.75 in2

If each half of the filter was 7.25" long, this would give 14.5" in total filter length.
Area = Length x width, then width = A/L => 80.75 in2 / 14.5" = 5.56" width for the filter.

I'm thinking of putting a 1/4-1/2" thick piece of foam with similar density around the pickup to keep baby shrimp out of the intake (similar to how a center overflow would be set up). This should keep debris out of the filter, which should prevent high flow areas that can occur in a normal setup. So the higher flow rate that I would have shouldn't be an issue.

What are your opinions on this?
I may have a couple of conceptual errors, but it's late and makes perfect sense to me right now. I hope this makes sense, I may have to revise it this afternoon.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #173
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I have a piece of black poster board as a background now ($0.49 cost). It really makes the mattenfilter fade out of view!

It just occurred to me that using a thin piece of Poret foam as a background would really make the filter vanish.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #174
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I have a piece of black poster board as a background now ($0.49 cost). It really makes the mattenfilter fade out of view!
I <3 poster board. It's an excellent and cheap way to have a background. I like to change colors for the fun of it. (By the way yellow is an awful choice.) It really does change the appearance

Quote:
It just occurred to me that using a thin piece of Poret foam as a background would really make the filter vanish.
Not only that, but it would be more surface for bacteria and you could easily get moss to grow on it!

I am planning on setting up a moss wall on the back and sides. I thought it would be a neat idea.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #175
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Beer, the HMF only needs a turnover of 1, but preferably 2. Too high of a turnover and the purpose of the filter is lost from the research I've gathered. Your idea does sound good, but I do have one concern. With all the modifications, you may be pushing the HOB too hard. It could overheat easily. The sponge you get, you should make sure the PPI is at least 45 and not more dense. If it weren't for the shrimp, I'd say 20. You'll need to clean out the sponge frequently (once a week) in this manner to keep the HOB running consistently and to avoid it shutting down entirely.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #176
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I ordered some Christmas Moss to grow on my Poret foam. I had very good luck with it growing on everything the last time I used it, and I like its appearance. I was about to order some floaters to grow above the filter chamber, but noticed just in time that I can't see the top of the filter because the light sits on that area. That floater idea would be very nice for a tank with a hanging light.

I also bought my Black Diamond blasting grit today. I think with that as the substrate top layer the mattenfilter will be essentially invisible.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #177
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Christmas moss will be lovely. How are you planning to attach it? I am not sure if super glue will be best as it might block the flow, but it would be easy.

I finally got the stand level this evening. I am a little worried since I've never had a tank on carpet in this house before. I remember at my childhood house, the tank would move easily if you walked by it, but that was before I knew you needed to level tanks. I am hoping there won't be an issue. Planning to flood the tank tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #178
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Christmas moss will be lovely. How are you planning to attach it? I am not sure if super glue will be best as it might block the flow, but it would be easy.

I finally got the stand level this evening. I am a little worried since I've never had a tank on carpet in this house before. I remember at my childhood house, the tank would move easily if you walked by it, but that was before I knew you needed to level tanks. I am hoping there won't be an issue. Planning to flood the tank tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.
Just pay attention to it as you fill it. Sometimes carpet can throw off the leveling a bit. Sometimes my tanks shake, but that is just my cue to stop walking like an elephant. (And the house is 70+ years old.)
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #179
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I find that pins, the kind with the big plastic ball at one end, work well to hold things in place on this foam while they root in. After a couple weeks I remove the pins. They do rust a but but that doesn't seem to hurt anything. I've also done plastic mesh, but it can be tricky keeping the mesh pressed up against the foam.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #180
PinoyBoy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

A few months to a year later...

Source: http://plecoplanet.com/?page_id=446

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.