First "full" tank, test run before larger tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
DestinyLynette

PTrader: (0/0%)

First "full" tank, test run before larger tank

Okay so until this point I've only had 2.5gal planted tanks- and by that I mean, sand in the bottom, and hardy plants stuck in said sand. Now I'm moving up to a 10gal, more densely planted, in preparing to do my 36gal bowfront Amazon River biotope.

What I got:
2-2 1/2" of substrate- organic Miracle Gro mixed with Floramax, root tabs stuck in
Soaked substrate but not necessarily standing water (read about DSM)
An economy 10gal hood, with two 10w 5100k CFL.
API liquid CO2 booster for when I fill the tank

Plants:
Dwarf hair grass I REALLY want to carpet; planted roughly an inch or less apart depending. After some reading I realized I might not have my clumps small enough but there's no way for me to add more unless I have some every 1/2".
Water wisteria in the back, four individual stems
Two narrow leaf java fern plants
One anubias nana

Planned fish:
Betta fish, for sure- he'll be tranferring from my 2.5; he does well with tank mates
Ottos- 3-4?

Possibly 5 cardinal tetras? I'll be putting cardinals in my 36gal so I thought maybe I'd start growing them now
If not, harlequin rasboras were my next pick (or neon tetras)

I love cory cats BUT I read you can't have them with hair grass? Or can you just not have them with hair grass until it's well-rooted? I LOVE melini corys and will be putting those in my 36 as well; I'd get them anyway but melinis are the only corys that come into my work (at a pet store) full-grown, not small babies like the peppereds (whom I also like), the albinos, and the greens.

If I had to pick the smallest amount, my highest preference would go betta, corys, ottos, and then cardinals a rasboras are equal.

Input? Advice? Help meeee
DestinyLynette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)

Ditch the wisteria unless you want to be trimming salad every few days. As for the stocking, go with a betta, the ottos and the cories. A 10 gallon is too small for the cardinals and harlequins. Not sure about the max size of that particular species of cory but you will need to do regular weekly water changes to keep them healthy in a tank that small.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote