Quarantine Tank - Substrate? Plants?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Gavin Citrus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quarantine Tank - Substrate? Plants?

I recently acquired what is going to be my quarantine tank. Done a lot of reading. I know when you're talking medications and possible disease simplistic is probably the best.

What are current people's recommendations when it comes to a quarantine tank?

Substrate - Nothing, just the glass bottom? Marbles, large size easy to clean around can remove and clean easily? Or just normal substrate?

Definitely don't want to add stress. I've read clay pots on their side work well for heading places. What about random ceramic ornaments?

Can or should you have some plant life in there?
Java Fern/Anubias shouldn't need to much light, be to high maintenance and can possibly just be tied down to clay pots?

Or again would I be overdoing it?

Just want to see people's thoughts on their quarantine tanks.
Gavin Citrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have a simple 10g bare bottom with some cheap fake plants and decorations. You can use plants like floaters maybe to give them a sense of security but you have to realize that you may have to disinfect the tank if the fish develop a disease. So you may just have to get rid of your plants. Me personally I through in trimmings that I don't have space for in my main tank so your QT tank can serve many purposes.

If I were you I'd just keep it simple
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
GreenAcres
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a sand substrate, some rocks, and some basic plants in mine (cheap bacopa). I keep it running all the time and keep snails in it during the rare time it is empty. I think that everyone has a different approach. I usually get my fish from private breeders that I know from the local club, so I'm not expecting any particularly threatening illnesses. It's more so I can observe them eating and let the ich life cycle period pass since any change can be stressful. There's always a chance that I'll have to tear the whole thing down, but I balance that with the sources I use and there's nothing in the tank I would care about losing.
GreenAcres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

A treatment tank and quarantine tank aren't necessarily going to be the same thing.

If I'm just bringing new plants or fish in rom a reputable/known source, I've got a "junk" tank I keep running to hold excess plants and stock, grow out endler males, provide live filter media for new tank set ups etc. Since there's nothing in the tank I'm not willing to lose, it does quite nicely as a quarantine tank; the vast majority of the time, new stock comes in with no problems whatsoever and if treatment isn't needed I don't have to worry about figuring the actual volume for measuring treatments etc. If there are problems or I'm not as sure of the stock source...

I remove the new/affected stock to a treatment tank--a smaller, bare bottom tank with it's own dedicated set up. Everything to do with that tank is dedicated to nothing but that purpose:nets, filters, airlines, heater, bits of decor like rocks, pvc tubes and plastic plants to provide some sheltering, etc. Right now my treatment tanks are a 2.5 and 5g. If I started running larger fish, I'd bump it up to a 10 or 20g. When I'm done with the tank, I tear everything down, sterilize everything (tossing any material that can't be reliably sterilized) and pack the materials back into the tank itself so the whole kit is ready to go without having to search out or steal bits from other set ups.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM   #5
Gavin Citrus
Algae Grower

So you'd encourage both? Have the quarantine tank as an active tank and just keep a smaller treatment tank around for treatment only.

How do you go about sterilizing the filters? Is running bleach water through them good enough?
Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM   #6
greaser84
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Citrus View Post
I recently acquired what is going to be my quarantine tank. Done a lot of reading. I know when you're talking medications and possible disease simplistic is probably the best.

What are current people's recommendations when it comes to a quarantine tank?

Substrate - Nothing, just the glass bottom? Marbles, large size easy to clean around can remove and clean easily? Or just normal substrate?

Definitely don't want to add stress. I've read clay pots on their side work well for heading places. What about random ceramic ornaments?

Can or should you have some plant life in there?
Java Fern/Anubias shouldn't need to much light, be to high maintenance and can possibly just be tied down to clay pots?

Or again would I be overdoing it?

Just want to see people's thoughts on their quarantine tanks.
I've seen a lot of different QT tanks over the years, its personal preference really. You can decorate it with plants and make it look nice if you want. I prefer to keep mine simple and easy to clean. Pea sized rock gravel that a standard vacuum will clean easily. Hiding spots like clay pots or rocks are important, you want the fish to be able to hide, the more hiding spots the less stress. Live plants are great for a QT tank like any tank, they remove toxins, add oxygen ect.. I usually throw trimmings from my other tanks in my QT tank. My QT tank is also my treatment tank, I consider all the plants I put in their expendable, though I can't recall the last time a plant died from a treatment. Also my QT tank has low light which I think is important, the fish in there are either young, sick or new I don't want to stress them out with a bright light.
Old Yesterday, 03:43 AM   #7
Gavin Citrus
Algae Grower

Was planning on using the standard T8 fluorescent tube in that tank. It also is going to be in a basement (needs heater) which will be real quiet.