New 10 Gallon!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
kelsnels92
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New 10 Gallon!

Hey guys! Really excited to upgrade from my 2.5 gallon Fluval Spec to this 10 gallon tank. More room for plants and fishy friends!

Just set it up today. Don't worry about the fish, the water is partially from my old tank, as well as the plants and some of the bio-filter media is in the new filter. The plants are bubbling up nicely under the leaves with nice fresh O2 for the fishy friends and the substrate is that nice, cycled rock that already has some plant-friendly cycling goodness in it!

Heater is meant for up to 30 gallons, and has heated up to a nice, cosy 82 degrees F! Filter is an Aquafilter for a 30 gallon, so plenty of water flow and filtration. LED Fluval lights should provide more than enough light for any manner of plants that I decide that I want, although looking back I am worried that my substrate could have been better... Thoughts??

I don't really know what direction this guy is going to go. I want to get a nice piece of driftwood but I want it to be THE ONE, if you know what I mean, so I'm in no rush. If anyone has some nice Manzanita or an awesome-structured piece of driftwood shoot me an email I'd be more than interested.

Thoughts on plant-life? I'd love to get some baby tears in here. I've tried it previously but didn't have high enough lighting for the poor babies back then (it was one of my first planted tank ventures... My mistake.)

For now these are just some tetras to help with the cycling. Going to be testing parameters and hopefully in the next two weeks I'll feel safe with adding some new plants. I'd love to have the aquascape going before I add any more fishies.

Like I said, 10 gallon, mostly planted open top, so no jumpers. I don't mind a big school of nice looking fish. No more than 5 or 6 fish (if a small, nano-type school) because I want the focus to be the plants. Not a HUGE fan of shrimp.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips! Been so long since I had a freshwater I was proud of. This java fern I've got going was just a small-sized piece from Petsmart originally and it's thrived in the old tank I had. I don't know if I'll keep it but for now it's a start!

Just a quick video and a picture. Just set it up today. ALSO...

Any feeding suggestions? I would love to give my fishy friends a more varied, healthy diet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownload.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	307682  

Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_4843.MOV (1.16 MB, 7 views)
kelsnels92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
HUNTER
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Driftwood is a nice addition and the java ferns need to be attached, preferably on a driftwood. Your substrate could be better for growing plants especially baby tears. About schooling fish, you could keep your neon tetras and add a few more , or harlequin rasboras. I have 8 of them in a small tank, they school nicely and they don't seem to jump, I have an open top as well. You might need to lower your temp to at least 78 degrees for your tetras. Since you already have fish in a cycling tank, keep an eye on your ammonia and do partial water change to keep it from weakening your fish and their immune system, in case you want to keep them.
On the fish food, I rotate, flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, tubifex worms and brine shrimp.
HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
kelsnels92
Algae Grower

It's still early enough in the tank's life that I am willing to break it down and switch substrate. I have the Activ-Flora substrate in there now but I suppose I could switch it out for the finer grained version? What would you recommend as far as substrate? I don't want anything too messy, so potting soil is something I'd rather stay away from!

Also, I dialed down the water temp. I swear I read somewhere that tertras prefer the higher temp poor little babies lol.
kelsnels92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #4
HUNTER
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So many substrate to choose from, Eco complete seems to be the one of many most people use. I use it and it grows plants well, and no matter how much you disturb it, it willtont make a mess. Not sure but there might be a subject regarding substrate within the forum.
HUNTER is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.