How to block HOB outflow?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-10-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
Codzilla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to block HOB outflow?

I have an HOB whose outflow is pushing down on my pearl weed at the back and preventing it from growing into an even bush. The other thing is that I have a bamboo shrimp which needs some current since it filter feeds. However, I am using a reptile mesh as a cover and have cut out an indent for my HOB so it is fixed there and I am not planning to move it. So how can I block the outflow so it is not smashing into my pearl weed but giving enough current for my shrimp?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20141009_002.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	378481  

Codzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
goodbytes
Planted Member

These should be useful.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1832

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=366241
goodbytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #3
Aqua nut
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Go to the dollar store and get a soap dish, the one with the suction cups.
Mount it up-side down and put a sponge or some filter floss in it.
The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149
There are 2 types of people on this Forum. Those that have Algae and those that lie and say they don't.
Aqua nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
goodbytes
Planted Member

You could also try something like this if you could find something suitable.

This doesn't work great but at the rate this Crypto puts up leaves it should work better when it grows in more. You could use a suction cup to mount a plant beneath the HOB if there were a way to make it look clean.

Last edited by goodbytes; 10-11-2014 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: Add. info
goodbytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
JeremyM
Algae Grower

Cut a door out of the long side of a water bottle and attach it sideways over the filter to catch the flow. Leave the cap off and arrange the bottle so the cap is just below the surface of the water. If you need to, drill some small holes on either side of the filter's outflow and attach the water bottle to it with some fishing line or zipties. It efficiently re-directs the water in a smooth flow and creates great current through the entire tank. If I can find my camera, i'll put up some photos of mine later.
JeremyM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #6
msebar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
Cut a door out of the long side of a water bottle and attach it sideways over the filter to catch the flow. Leave the cap off and arrange the bottle so the cap is just below the surface of the water. If you need to, drill some small holes on either side of the filter's outflow and attach the water bottle to it with some fishing line or zipties. It efficiently re-directs the water in a smooth flow and creates great current through the entire tank. If I can find my camera, i'll put up some photos of mine later.

I 2nd this
msebar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
caique
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm thinking you could do the same thing with a piece of black pvc. Then drill holes at different angles if need be.
caique is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
swoof
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
I'm thinking you could do the same thing with a piece of black pvc. Then drill holes at different angles if need be.
I think the point of a plastic water bottle is that most have a few around, usually a few in the recycle bin (saves cash )
swoof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #9
sherryazure
Algae Grower

Default Re-directing outflow.

I am long out of having aquariums, but when I had this issue with bettas (both my own and many "rescues") and the outflow would tear her longer then normal female betta fin (save for large globes, old box filter style) - I experimented with different things. (In some, I took out the bio wheel - would get clogged so on, as there are *other ways to create a balanced tank. I grew up with Dr. Innes having read his books as a child).

*(one of which was bio bugs from some company that cleaned up ponds so on of algae - although a small amount in balance I liked as can assist in creating foods, water balance. I have saved that link somewhere as the biologist/manager sold me a small amount and amazing!)

First thought is move it to one end - where their are longer plants to hide it. The outflow can later be directed along the back - it will circulate and create areas of rest where certain fish may not like the force of the outflow. (or as some of mine did like to play in it and then rest in other areas - I had a betta in a 75 that would do so under huge outflows - created to make a "falls" effect over rock formations I made. But it tore her tail so had to remove her to a 20 long) (or globe)

Not sure what it is called but the plastic mesh that is used in needle point. About 1 foot square and comes in many colors. I choose black since my backgrounds were painted (on the back) black dark blue to hide my suction cups which held wood and other things in place. (hang on back rock formations I made out of various plastics and real rock).

I would cut these into shapes, wide enough to fit the outflow - and long enough to tuck under the basin of the filter (area where water is before it comes out). This plastic is easily shape-able. (can just hold it in hot water to create a fold, or briefly over hot stove).

I would then cut slices along the front ends (which would hang out into the water) from front to back (but not all the way as the main margin holds the piece together).

(slices - imagine cutting strips along one side at desired length and width of each but leave area in back which will hold them together)... Then EACH can be bent - up, down so on to really control water flow.)

Then I realized these could be layered - one on top of the other until the flow direction was as desired. This may seem ugly but it worked and I then put some plants in front.

I had tried suction cup soap holders (the clear plastic was glaring against the dark background, and it took up too much space). The mesh can be made any size as needed.

Or I would drill a small hole into driftwood with moss on it, then thread black tie through it and around a suction cup. (small black one from old filter). I would then place this as needed to re-direct the outflow.

Here are what's left of photos on flickr. If you look closely at one set up with needle leaf java you can see the black mesh in the background. In another almost hidden there is the hob with mesh (long with wood and anubias other plants) All wood suction cup method. I used this mesh for many things.

Sorry not sure how to post photos here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/214308...7626963975954/

Plastic mesh (any hobby store, even Walmart)

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7tdwucggdn_b
sherryazure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.