Ada aquasoil for Low-tech tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 PM   #1
jcmv4792
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ada aquasoil for Low-tech tanks

Would there be any problems with using aquasoil in a non-co2 tank?

And this seems to come in "clump" form instead of loose, powder type soil. Would you be able to cap aquasoil with sand, or would the sand eventually make it's way to the bottom?

Once the aquasoil runs out of nutrients, how long could you use it as an "inert" substrate? Can one use aquasoil indefinitely(such as eco-complete) as long as you insert root tabs?
jcmv4792 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
Daisy Mae
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
Would there be any problems with using aquasoil in a non-co2 tank?

And this seems to come in "clump" form instead of loose, powder type soil. Would you be able to cap aquasoil with sand, or would the sand eventually make it's way to the bottom?

Once the aquasoil runs out of nutrients, how long could you use it as an "inert" substrate? Can one use aquasoil indefinitely(such as eco-complete) as long as you insert root tabs?
You should be able to use any kind of substrate in a non-CO2 tank.

I have Fluval Stratum in a nano, which has particles almost exactly like Aquasoil in size and texture (I have Aquasoil in other tanks). I capped the Fluval stratum with fine gravel, the gravel is slowly sinking when the substrate gets disturbed esp. The stratum/Aquasoil is very light and makes its way up. The larger particles also tend to do that in any type of mix, dry or wet.

Have not personally used Aquasoil long enough to comment on your last question, but I expect the limiting factor would be the physical structure of the Aquasoil itself. At some point, I expect it to break down into very fine silt-sand particles? I'm sure there's someone out there who has experience with this.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
Blaher
Algae Grower

While I've never used Aquasoil myself, I know The Green Machine (or at least according to their videos) has used it in their tanks for several years running. Even rebuilt a tank with the old substrate. I assume it's a mixture of mostly clay which has the ability to absorb nutrients. I've been experimenting with Flourite/Kitty-litter myself, under MGOC, and capped with sand, with really good results. I've always been curious of someone sprinkling iron/KNO3/CSM+B under a pure kitty litter (clay) substrate and seeing how explosive the plants get. In my opinionated theory, it would work just as well as the ADA stuff.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
klibs
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

no you will be fine

low techs work the best with good substrate like that because they usually use a lot of root feeders

As a general rule if you mix substrates the finer one will make its way to the bottom over time
Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
jcmv4792
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae
I expect the limiting factor would be the physical structure of the Aquasoil itself. At some point, I expect it to break down into very fine silt-sand particles?
This is what I meant to ask, I just didn't know how to word it. So would this breaking down of the aquasoil cause it to cloud up the water even with the slightest disturbance?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Daisy Mae
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
This is what I meant to ask, I just didn't know how to word it. So would this breaking down of the aquasoil cause it to cloud up the water even with the slightest disturbance?
Aah!
Sorry, I don't really know. Right now I am getting some clouding when I replant on the Aquasoil so I expect it to continue happening later too. Might not be as big an issue when there's more plant mass (both roots in the soil and leaves near the surface), but I'm just guessing here.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM   #7
jcmv4792
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Aah!
Sorry, I don't really know. Right now I am getting some clouding when I replant on the Aquasoil so I expect it to continue happening later too. Might not be as big an issue when there's more plant mass (both roots in the soil and leaves near the surface), but I'm just guessing here.
Ah got it.

In a low-tech tank, would the aquasoil need to be capped with anything for any particular reason? Or could the substrate just be exposed to the water column? And would doing weekly water changes(tap water: ph 7.8, kh 7,gh 10) cause the soil/tank to prematurely lose it's nutrients, or cause ph swings(due to the ph lowering property of the soil)
Old Yesterday, 05:33 AM   #8
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

AS will be fine in a low tech tank. That said, I feel a lot of people think low tech tanks benefit from a high nutrient substrate because lack routine fertilization. I have found similar results from regular gravel to top soil, root tabs, etc, never used AS. In each case, even stems have a much more substantial root system. Many of my low techs were not necessarily low light, getting good colors with stems, I just feel the lack of CO2 makes for a much smaller need to fertilize, water column or roots. That's not to say I would not choose AS, I like AS. It's just probably unnecessary and a bit expensive. I like the look myself which is a big part of choosing any substrate. I would give it a try. Even in my high tech, now gone medium tech (lower light, CO2), it still seems to have plenty of nutrients, rarely feed the water column, have yet to put root tabs in either, plants are healthy and growing well.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM   #9
jcmv4792
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
AS will be fine in a low tech tank. That said, I feel a lot of people think low tech tanks benefit from a high nutrient substrate because lack routine fertilization. I have found similar results from regular gravel to top soil, root tabs, etc, never used AS. In each case, even stems have a much more substantial root system. Many of my low techs were not necessarily low light, getting good colors with stems, I just feel the lack of CO2 makes for a much smaller need to fertilize, water column or roots. That's not to say I would not choose AS, I like AS. It's just probably unnecessary and a bit expensive. I like the look myself which is a big part of choosing any substrate. I would give it a try. Even in my high tech, now gone medium tech (lower light, CO2), it still seems to have plenty of nutrients, rarely feed the water column, have yet to put root tabs in either, plants are healthy and growing well.
Thanks for your input. The reason why I became interested in using soil, is because people have been saying that it raises co2 levels in the water from decomposition. People seem to have an easier time carpeting plants like dwarf hairgrass in low-tech soil setups.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.