Brought some plants home from small lake in northern Ontario. Pics.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Brought some plants home from small lake in northern Ontario. Pics.

I found these and thought they would look great in the tank if I can get them to grow. Pretty sure the last pics is of a jungle val. I wasn't aware they grew here in ontario though.

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Looks like hornwort, anacharis, and val (not sure type from small size.. How long were others?).
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anacharis canadensis: second picture. Found this name on http://www.torontozoo.com/adoptapond...ck/part53.html

eurasian milfoil is the first picture. I just found out its invasive species in the lake...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Looks like hornwort, anacharis, and val (not sure type from small size.. How long were others?).
i grabbed these small babies by the shore of the cottage but there was plenty that was 2 feet or greater. very large

i think jungle val i a just read they can be found in canadian waters.

Now to see if I can get these to thrive in my tank. I know the val will, as I grow val nan tiger and val spiralis already.

not sure of the other 2.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't know your area at all so this may not apply. Just a thought?
One of my first plants turned out to be an invasive. It grew really well and I was really thrilled until I started looking for names and found it was:
"Transportation, possession or sale of same prohibited" and truly a pest (hydrilla) . So be discrete and for sure don't throw any out in the local lake?
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'll stick my neck out here and say that the first picture is Parrot Feathers ?
I am saying that I thought it wasa formof them when I first found them here.
I have these all over where I live and they have a very nice very small yellow flower on them on the above water part. The plant mostly is an above water plant where I live anyway. Not a ground plant BTW as it starts under water in 0 to 15-18" of water and spreads out over the top of the water from there. So the shore may have 6-8 feet of plant sticking out from the shore line. I'm sure that in a shallow waterway it can clog the whole top of it. Perhaps what makes it labeled "invasive".
I just have believed they were Parots feathers since it looks like them a bit.
Seems to grow very easilly if the water is less than 15" or so deep, but will just grow straight up and then across the top.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 AM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Parrot Feather = Myriophyllum aquaticum
Eurasian Milfoil = Myriophyllum spicatum

There are several other Myrios that are grown in ponds and tanks, and may also be called Milfoil or Parrot Feather.
Since M. spicatum is known to be in that area, and the pictures match, I think it is M. spicatum.

Anacharis is the old name, now it is Elodea canadensis (but the lumpers and splitters are still hard at work!)

Is there a way to tell the grass-like Sagitarias (such as S. graminea) apart from the Valisnerias?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

[QUOTE=Diana;6414585]"Parrot Feather = Myriophyllum aquaticum
Eurasian Milfoil = Myriophyllum spicatum"

"There are several other Myrios that are grown in ponds and tanks, and may also be called Milfoil or Parrot Feather.
Since M. spicatum is known to be in that area, and the pictures match, I think it is M. spicatum."

Thank you for the breakdown on this. The ones I am talking about should be fully spread and may also have the flowers I mentioned by now it being mid summer. They die off in the winter. Since the nearest place they are found is only about 2 miles from me I think I may go there
just after sunup on Tuesday and see if I can get a picture so they can be compared.
But that breakdown certainly helps me to understand why I thought they were Parrots Feathers.