Just Curios???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 08-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

Just Curios???

Has anyone considered a light weight aggregate for a substrate.

There are three that come to mind.

Gravelite
Liv-liite
Haydite

These are all kilned at high temps and a naturally mined product at the start.

This is just a question of curiosity.

I do have these planned for use in my Paludarium / Riparium sometime next year. They have less than half the weight of pea gravel and they are used in hydroponics generally.

But has anyone tried them in a tank or considered them $40 buys a ton delivered over $20 for 14 pounds. and you gotta go get it.

Thanks for lookin'

Best wishes,
Wes
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
firefiend
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Funny, I just posted in another thread about hydroton, lol. I don't see why you couldn't as you don't want a nutrient substrate.

I used hydroton in my vivarium as a drainage/shaping layer with cocofiber on top for planting.
firefiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I thought of those but I wanted something that looked more natural. More like Pea gravel without the weight. Using these would be about 50% less weight for the volume. A 125 Gallon tank filled 12 inches deep with pea gravel can get quit heavy.

Thank for the thought though ... I will be doing some type of fert regeme sort of like EI dosing for planted Aquaria but different.

Thanks for lookin'

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

I use something very similar (if not the same stuff) as Haydite called Turface. I personally love it, but it's all in your preference. Many think it is too lightweight, but I think it's just perfect and the plant roots look fabulous and massively healthy:

Also used it in my riparium planters and it worked very well.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I use something very similar (if not the same stuff) as Haydite called Turface. I personally love it, but it's all in your preference. Many think it is too lightweight, but I think it's just perfect and the plant roots look fabulous and massively healthy:

Also used it in my riparium planters and it worked very well.
Turface is one of the brands it is sold under ... so yeah it's the same stuff.
So, then this thuf will be great for my palu / Riapaium?

Thanks for lookin'

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Absolutely. It did great for my riparium while I had it. Sadly a roof leak forced me to tear it down, but when I did, the root system was impressive to say the least. I tried hydroton, and flourite in others, but turface beat both by a milestone.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Absolutely. It did great for my riparium while I had it. Sadly a roof leak forced me to tear it down, but when I did, the root system was impressive to say the least. I tried hydroton, and flourite in others, but turface beat both by a milestone.
Just noticed ... where in WV are you I have some family in and around Logan / Mann.

Have you seen my preliminare drawings for this Riprium / Palidarium?
The first thread go to the end and you'll see the way it is today. There is a small water fall at the right end the goes into a small pond that has/had duck weed in it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...terrarium.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/vi...rate-soil.html

You'll need to go to the end of the second thread to see the new plan for the tank.

Thanks for lookin'

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Nice plans, I like it better already! However, that turned out beautiful when all said and done, I'm very impressed as I know I couldn't do such work. Took me a while to read both threads, but well worth it. I'm from Huntington, borders the Ohio River, it's just under a couple hours from Logan. I have a lot of friends from that way, though.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Nice plans, I like it better already! However, that turned out beautiful when all said and done, I'm very impressed as I know I couldn't do such work. Took me a while to read both threads, but well worth it. I'm from Huntington, borders the Ohio River, it's just under a couple hours from Logan. I have a lot of friends from that way, though.
Thanks for reading through.
I know there was a ton of stuff there with the couple of changes and all.
Did you catch the part that I Have Muscular Dystrophy (Jerry Lewis' kid) and I am in a wheelchair. Did you also note the time lapse from start to finish. I think it took me about 9 months over all to complete.

I expect the new build to take about a year and it won't even start for a year while I collect materials and supplies.

So it seems from other posts I have like this one that I will be using a blend of calcined clays like haydite and the like for a more natural look like river rock pebbles and stone. However they wont have that "rounded" look to them. But the colors will be specled rather than one solid color.

thanks for lookin'

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 08-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #10
Sharkfood
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

The problem with hydroton is that it tends to float. I would think that what you describe would work well as long as it is at least a little bit heavier.
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespastor View Post
Did you catch the part that I Have Muscular Dystrophy (Jerry Lewis' kid) and I am in a wheelchair. Did you also note the time lapse from start to finish. I think it took me about 9 months over all to complete.
I did notice this. It makes it even more amazing that you were able to make this tank look better than most tanks I've seen on here (mine included). I didn't say anything as I didn't know if you were comfortable talking about it, but it's an inspirational story.

That sounds like a great idea on blending the substrate. I put some leftover flourite in one of my tanks with the turface and it's kind of nice seeing the different colors.

Glad to see I am not the only one that takes time to build projects. It took me nearly two years to build my canopy and I'm still needing to fix parts of it. Be sure to send me a pm or link in your other thread when you start the project so I can follow along.

Tags
paludarium, riparium, substrate alternatives, terrarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.