Keepers of Crypt Balanasae?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #1
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Keepers of Crypt Balanasae?

My crypt balanasae specimens of over a month haven't really shown any change or growth. None of the original 4-5" leaves have fallen off, but the leaves haven't grown in height either as I was hoping for a background. My other crypts, despite some melt, have put forth new leaves. Other plants are also doing fine. The four balanasae are in an area of moderate to sometimes shaded light.

What's your experience with balanasae? Does it take a while to settle in and kick start? What kind of light (bright, shaded?) are you keeping it in?

thanks
steve
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2005, 10:57 PM   #2
sanj
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

i really like the look of this crypt, have used it in my angel tank as a background instead of valls. I have found that they take quite a while to establish and then start to produce new leaves. I set up this tank with them in Nov...January they strated to grow leaves.

Might be an idea to plug fert tabs usnder them, if your fertile substrate is old.
sanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Mine hardly grows, its leaves are about 8-10 inches long. It will grow a new leaf, but at the same time another leaf will die. I gave up on the plant, it has been taken over by crypt spiralis which grows like a weed.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ive had mine for about 3 months, and it does take a while for them to pop the clutch, but then they get into high gear. Mine came with 3 leaves each, half melted away, 2 inches long. Now they each have at least 10 18 inch long leaves, and look a beautiful greenish bronze. Give 'em time and light, they will grow for you.

Anybody know what would happen if i move mine to a different spot in the tank? should i drag them with roots still buried, or should i replant them? i dont want 'em to melt on me...
sorry to jack this thread
Old 02-14-2005, 12:24 AM   #5
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Crypt balansae is a notorious slow starter. Just leave it be for a while, and the plant will suddenly take off. It will grow additional, longer leaves. It just takes time to settle in.

When I move a Crypt, I pull it up out of the substrate. They have long roots, and I have found pushing them around has knocked other plants out of place in the past.

I pull the plant up, trim the roots back, and then replant in the desired position. I have had minimal melt when I have done that.

Mike
Old 02-14-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok, sounds good. I have one crypt, It is probably a green or bronze wendtii, but im not sure. Every time i move it, even ever so slightly, almost every single leaf falls off. 2 weeks ago, it had almost 50 leaves, then i moved it 1/2 inch backward by pulling it through the substrate; 2 leaves left. now, it has almost 40 leaves grows really fast, but dies really fast too... probably a good thing.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:26 AM   #7
motifone
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

dear "thanks"

yeh, I experience the same melting too -- it's not a pretty thing to see, but like you sound the leaves usually bounce back.

as far as the balansae goes, i'll be patient with it.

i've had this other plant which I thought was a crypt that, as of late, has been sending up these big leaves to the surface. never seen a crypt do that before, but it's a nice change of leave shape
motifone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
locus
Algae Grower

I have a couple of small C. crispulata var balansae in a 1' cube (~7 gal) with an 11 watt PC light... both plants were received in an emersed state, since planting both have produced 3 new leaves with the longest being about 6 inches - this is in the space of a few weeks.

They seem to like the substrate - onyx sand with a bit of sera super peat as a bottom layer. I wonder if the buffering effect of the onyx sand helps any?

In the past I have kept this plant in an 18 gallon w/ ~2wpg NO lights and found they grew a lot slower... the substrate in this case was fine natural gravel with laterite.
locus is offline   Reply With Quote