looking into making a Threadfin Rainbow biotope...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-23-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
windmadesolid

PTrader: (0/0%)

looking into making a Threadfin Rainbow biotope...

I've been in love with these little beauties for quite some time now and I'm going to be purchasing a 20long to house a small shoal of them.

I would like to make it look as natural as possible.
-Threadfin Rainbows come from Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and Australia.. I don't know if I'm going to select just one of these places and do a biotope on the one place or all three.

The thing is; I don't really know what kind of aquatic plants are native to these areas and I really want this to be a beautiful planted tank.

If anyone could help me with this idea, mostly with telling me what kinds of plants come from this region haha
As I'm sure you can tell, I am a little confused and am just in the planning stage. and if I keep on with this confusion, I'll probbaly just make it into a planted tank with whatever plants I like lol

Thank you for the help and I'm sorry if this sounds real confusing..

-Cirena : ]
windmadesolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I LOVE my threadfins they have a subtle beauty to them. Stand 10' from the aquarium, they look just like any other small fish, but get close and you start to see the gun metal blue body and pink/red belly with a touch of yellow lol

This is what seriouslyfish says about their habitat

Tends to inhabit still or slow-flowing streams, lagoons, swamps and drainage ditches. The areas where the fish are found are most often heavily vegetated with very clear water.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/profile...werneri&id=800
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #3
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I dug some detailed info about one of their PNG biotopes out of a book a few months back. It's not a beautiful planted tank though, just some floating plants and tree roots. Still interested?
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I love threadfins!!

I'm setting up a 20L in a few weeks for some.

I have spiral & lutea crypts, 1 sword, 1 bolbitis & 2 anubis in my existing tank & these will be going in the new tank.

I plan on getting several more of something for the new tank but I don't know what yet.

Low light & slow growth plants have been working for me so far & as I want to stay low tech they will have to be something like I have.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote