ADA Gallery Pictures * My Trip To Japan* Warning 56kers New PICS 2/18/05
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Marc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

ADA Gallery Pictures * My Trip To Japan* Warning 56kers New PICS 2/18/05

Pictures i was able to snap during my trip to Niigata Japan! Hope you guys enjoy! If you have any questions i'll try to answer them as best as i could or remember! Enjoy!

More...

few more...

This longer tank has 3/4 thick glass

One of my favorites!

This tank had thicker glass also

Last edited by Marc; 02-18-2005 at 11:05 PM..
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
Thanks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

wow.

i especially love pic 1 and pic 8... who scaped these??? Holy crap. Awesome pictures too! Incredible use of narrow leaf java ferns... looks kinda like in my tank. There is a LOT of substrate in some of the tanks!

3/4 inch thick glass?! wow. All of these are simply amazing.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Stunning...
What a great experience that must have been Marc, you must have spent a few hours there I imagine. Thanks very much for sharing those photos with us, someday I would love to share the same experience !
Old 02-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I love those open top frameless tanks. Absolutely gorgeous. Some day I wil build one of my own. Theres gotta be something better than silicone to hold those corners together, especially the big ones. Theres a lot of pressure on that glass.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:59 PM   #5
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default ADA Gallery Pictures

Absolutely breathtaking, Marc. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Those photos are stunning and inspiring.

Kathy
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:40 AM   #6
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

So Marc, what's with the lights? Is that actually 1 MH per 2 feet of tank? It looked like there might be some exceptions though. Like the big tanks near the stairs. Those looked like two rows of MH+PC lights.

Do you remember?
Old 02-13-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
brookline45
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to brookline45

Fantastic pictures. There is something on a suction cup in the each tank with a thin tube coming out. Is that some type of a low tech co2 diffuser?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
Silent Running
Planted Tank Obsessed

Man, those are amazing!!! That must have been fantastic. How were you able to get in to see them? Is that open to the public?

The only thing I would do differently would be to paint the walls of the room black and get rid of all of the windows so that there's no competing light .

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11648
Silent Running is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:12 AM   #9
PinkRasbora
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Thumbs up Amazing!

These tanks are so breathtaking!!!! The pictures you toke are awsome also, you have a good eye for photography. I would like to know what kind of camara you used.
PinkRasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 06:06 AM   #10
fishfry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookline45
Fantastic pictures. There is something on a suction cup in the each tank with a thin tube coming out. Is that some type of a low tech co2 diffuser?
that is a CO2 diffuser, ADA has an entire line of their own diffusers
fishfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 08:52 AM   #11
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Marc,

A few questions about some of these set ups.
1. What was the flow through the aquariums like? heavy or low. It seems like the tanks would have very little movement based on the looks. Not like mine where all the plants grow toward the east, not becuase of light, but due to the high velosity water streams pinning plants against the glass.
2. does the ambient light of the room contribute to the tanks, or is most of the lighting acheived from the HQI lights suspended from above.

You know I love the tanks, but I'm more drawl into the behind the scenes approach to the HQ.
Thanks again for the great pics!
Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 AM   #12
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks
i especially love pic 1 and pic 8... who scaped these???
Thanks, Thanks From my understanding the tanks are maintained once a week by his helpers/students. Not exactly sure if Amano himself scaped the tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Stunning...
What a great experience that must have been Marc, you must have spent a few hours there I imagine. Thanks very much for sharing those photos with us, someday I would love to share the same experience !
He Buck, Yes! I was there for HOURS! I just couldnt get enough of his tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolley
So Marc, what's with the lights? Is that actually 1 MH per 2 feet of tank? It looked like there might be some exceptions though. Like the big tanks near the stairs. Those looked like two rows of MH+PC lights.
Do you remember?
Hey Steve, the 2 tanks by the stairs have one MH lamp and 2 PC on the side.
The tanks seem to house his lower light plants. All the other tanks run just MH lamps if i remember correctly. The big wide tank with the sump, run 6 of the MH + PC fixture. Here is a bit better picture showing the wide tank.
GAH I WONDER WHAT THE ELECTRICITY BILL LOOKS LIKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Running
Man, those are amazing!!! That must have been fantastic. How were you able to get in to see them? Is that open to the public?
Hi Paul- Yes the Gallery is open to the public only during certain times of the month. I think it was every other weekend or something. Its free also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora
These tanks are so breathtaking!!!! The pictures you toke are awsome also, you have a good eye for photography. I would like to know what kind of camara you used.
PinkRasbora you are too kind I think the pictures are okay. The camera is a Canon PowerShot A70. Still practicing though
Old 02-14-2005, 03:06 AM   #13
Marc
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop
Marc,

A few questions about some of these set ups.
1. What was the flow through the aquariums like? heavy or low. It seems like the tanks would have very little movement based on the looks. Not like mine where all the plants grow toward the east, not becuase of light, but due to the high velosity water streams pinning plants against the glass.
2. does the ambient light of the room contribute to the tanks, or is most of the lighting acheived from the HQI lights suspended from above.

You know I love the tanks, but I'm more drawl into the behind the scenes approach to the HQ.
Thanks again for the great pics!
Hi Hop,

1) The flow in the aquarium was low. you could hardly see the water current. Very slight ripples at the top of the tank. I think his glass returns are part of the reason. They open up so wide that its not like a super jet pushing everything around. The plants in the tank dont seem to move much.
2) Beside the light fixtures from the tanks, the room we very cleanly lite. But i also think that alot of the light comes from the tank fixtures.

Here are a few more pictures for everyone! Thanks for looking and the compliments!

My Friend Chung who is currently teaching English in Japan- He was my translator and the main reason i was able to visit ADA.

Under The Hood!

Mainly Rice fields around ADA

ADA's New Project? Biotopes

Entrance as well as the exit of the Gallery!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:31 AM   #14
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Marc,

Thanks again! I've seen several posts of pics from the ADA headquarters, but yours were definately the best.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #15
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

I look at all those MH lights ad I cringe, the electric bill to power all those lights has to be huge! Not a spec of algae in any of those tanks. That ought to say something for how well Amanos system works.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote