Dual Lighting Periods in One Day?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
TakeTheCann0lis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dual Lighting Periods in One Day?

I'm home for an hour in the morning and 4-6 in the evening before I go to bed. I like to look at my fish in during both periods of time. Right now I have my timer to turn on the light at 7am and off at 8am then back on again at 3pm and off at 11pm. Is this going to disturb my fish or plants? As it is, the room that the fish are in has indirect light entering it from 3 windows at sunrise.
TakeTheCann0lis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

There's no harm in doing that at all. The only thing I would change personally is to turn off the lights an hour earlier at night if you're in bed by 6 PM anyway. That way, the fish can get an hour more of darkness at least.

The Spawning Pool-- 75g shallow square DECOMMISSIONED

Three Worlds-- 4g triple sphere DECOMMISSIONED
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Very hard to tell how it affects fish. On one hand, if they look happy and healthy one could conclude that they are, and it doesn't bother them. On the other hand, since they can not scream, we won't really ever know.

Personally I would skip the morning period for that reason.

Plants shouldn't be affected except for those with with photoperiodism - short night periods as introduced with a split lighting period might cause them to go generative (flower) or remain vegetative. Most likely, you wont have any issues with plants though.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheCann0lis View Post
I'm home for an hour in the morning and 4-6 in the evening before I go to bed. I like to look at my fish in during both periods of time. Right now I have my timer to turn on the light at 7am and off at 8am then back on again at 3pm and off at 11pm. Is this going to disturb my fish or plants? As it is, the room that the fish are in has indirect light entering it from 3 windows at sunrise.
Such a crazy schedule you have. And with the additional sunlight far too long of a potential photoperiod. Plants and fish evolved to experience a consistent diurnal cycle. There might be detrimental health aspects for both plants and fish. Your first and foremost concern is the health of the plants and fish. Right now you have a least a 15 hour period of awake time for the fish from just natural light plus 2.5 hours more of artificial lighting. far to much. Now you could:

1. Have the lights come on later in the day and shut off just before sunset so they will be on when you come home and learn to live with that viewing time slot

2. Remove the tank until you get on a more normal schedule.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
zonamav
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

11 is too late. Fish aren't like dogs and cats that nap through the day to make up for being up late with their owner.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
zonamav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
TwoTacoCombo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

I use my lights for the plants, and daylight for the fish. My lights come on at 11am, off at 7pm, but there's enough light coming in through the window this time of year to feed the fish in the morning by daylight, and I can still see them after the lights go off at night. I'd think the split lighting would confuse the fish. Plants are probably more tolerant, but animals usually set their internal schedules by light. Abrupt changes in lighting can't be doing them any favors...
TwoTacoCombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

I have always disliked looking at my tanks without lights so I've maintained a 12 hour photoperiod for that reason with one tank getting 13 hours (my 5g RCS tank). I know many people worry about getting algae with long photoperiods, and that can happen, but it's not always the case. I'm doing this with both, high tech and low tech, tanks so it's not a matter of requiring CO2 or ferts either. One key element is to not use too bright of light unless you are injecting CO2 and dosing ferts.

During the hours in which the lights are off, I still get to enjoy my tanks thanks to moon lights. It's not as much fun as having the lights on, but it's better than seeing a pitch black void. I do keep the moonlights fairly dim, and I have confirmed that the fish are sleeping.

So maybe you can find a 12 hour stretch that would work for you (7am-7pm?) and work to orient the tank to accept the long photoperiod?

Otherwise, I'd skip the 1 hour in the morning since it's just 1 hour and turn the lights on later in the day so you can keep them on a little later at night. On the weekends, check to make sure the fish are still "sleeping in" during the off time in the morning so you can be certain they're able to use that time to actually sleep.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.