Stagnant water prevention:Mosquitos
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
NewDisign
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Stagnant water prevention:Mosquitos

Well here's my problem. We're having a house built. For this new house, I wanted to have 1 pond big enough in the backyard to keep koi (if possible because Boise is putting houses on postage stamps. Basically, Boise is getting greedy and stuffing big houses on small lots and stuffing small houses on even smaller lots, so you have no yard!), and/or put a small pond in the front next to the house entry with a waterfall with accent lighting and all that other stuff.

My point is that my mom would rather a pondless waterfall over a pond with waterfalls stocked with fish. She said that we would have mosquitos laying eggs in the water. I know they do do this, but my question is...

What is the easiest way to prevent stagnant water in a koi pond?

This goes mostly to the one in the backyard. There will be two waterfalls on this lake. Im thinking of having the actual pond being about 10'x15' feet at a depth at the deepest of 3 feet; 4 feet at the most. The two waterfalls will be separated by about 6-7 feet, with the falls having a diameter of a 3/4' of a foot at the mouth and a foot at most in the upper falls.
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
flip9
Planted Member

Good ciculation and filtration.

Mosquitos like to breed on static stagnant water because they can lay their eggs easily and their larvae eats the growing algae and micro-organisms. When you add circulation and cleaner water, they will have a hard time laying eggs and breeding.

Adding smaller fish that eat wrigglers is another way of stopping them. There are also chemicals you can add.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
NavemadaMan
Algae Grower

As stated above, there are tons of smaller fish that love mosquito larvae. Just do a little research on the ones that do, and pick out the species you like best.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Mosquito fish or Rosy Red/Fathead minnows.
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Any kind of labrynth fish will take care of any mosquitos for sure. Thats what I use in my stagnant ponds.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
Mosquito fish or Rosy Red/Fathead minnows.
Mosquito fish are what I put in my pond to help with the mosquitos, but with that being said they just help with the hatching mosquitos they will not eliminate them as their will be many that still hatch out. And as far as stagnant water goes mosquitos will lay eggs in any patch of water stagnant or not. Even in the biggest ponds with lots of circulation there will still be spots that will be fairly still from water movement. For the pondless waterfalls goes they can be just as nice looking as some of the ponds I have seen.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:54 PM   #7
FIT BMX
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

A water garden is worth a few mosquito bites.
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
wakesk8r
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

HAHAHa @ fitbmx.
Well worth a few bites!
wakesk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Mosquito Dunks also.
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
FIT BMX
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

You can build a bog in one corner of the pond, and plant pitcher plants they eat lots of bugs. Here is a link http://www.blackjungleterrariumsuppl...en-_ep_79.html.
You got to love a good pitcher plant!
FIT BMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
NewDisign
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip9 View Post
Good ciculation and filtration.

Mosquitos like to breed on static stagnant water because they can lay their eggs easily and their larvae eats the growing algae and micro-organisms. When you add circulation and cleaner water, they will have a hard time laying eggs and breeding.

Adding smaller fish that eat wrigglers is another way of stopping them. There are also chemicals you can add.
Well two waterfalls should be enough circulation in my opinion. And you said to prevent wrigglers, that the pond could have small fish to eat them, What kind of small fish did you have in mind?
Old 08-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Luecke1548
Algae Grower

Send a message via Skype™ to Luecke1548

you have more than enough water flow to prevent a really high amount of mosquitoes, and any that do hatch would be around regardless if they came from the your pond or not (mosquitoes just happen). but its always nice to have small fish for show that will also eat the larvae of pest bugs
Luecke1548 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newdisign, ponds