pleco vs oto
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question

pleco vs oto

Well, a few months ago I bought a pleco for my 40b tank - I think it's a hifin, but I can't remember. (it does have gorgeous, huge fins tho) Anyhow, it's tripled in size in that short time - yes, I made a noob mistake! lol I recently moved it to a 55. Now I realize what a huge waste machine it is! It's like having goldfish! I also have a single oto in the 55, I was experimenting to see if there was enough for it to live on in the tank. I'd like to trade my pleco in for credit, since I don't want a fish that will get so large in the tank - I've also read the common plecos can become carnivorous - true? So I'm thinking about getting rid of the pleco, beautiful as it is, & getting one or two more otos of I find I need them. Do they like to be in groups or are they ok as singles? What would you do?
Thanks!
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

Ottocinclus Spp. Don't seem to carnivorous ... it's the socalled chinese algae eaters (Gyrinocheilus Spp.) will become carnivorous when they pass the juvenile stage.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespastor View Post
Ottocinclus Spp. Don't seem to carnivorous ... it's the socalled chinese algae eaters (Gyrinocheilus Spp.) will become carnivorous when they pass the juvenile stage.

Best wishes,
Wes
he was referrring to the pleco going carnivorous not the Otto.

Ottos are awesome, trade the pleco in and get more ottos.

bristlenose plecos are small plecos and a good choice if you want a pleco.
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
he was referrring to the pleco going carnivorous not the Otto.

Ottos are awesome, trade the pleco in and get more ottos.

bristlenose plecos are small plecos and a good choice if you want a pleco.
SHE was referring...lol. But thanks for clarifing my point ; )

I have two white longfin bristlenose plecos on reserve for this fall - one for the 40b and one for the 55. Another reason the hifin I have now will need a new home...
Thanks for the input!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #5
wespastor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/67%)

I'm sorry for the confusion ... I'm so confused

I know almost nothing about pleco's except that I don't want one. Bravo for those who do.

Best wishes,
Wes
Old 07-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodhunter View Post
SHE was referring...lol. But thanks for clarifing my point ; )

Thanks for the input!
haha, sorry I should have said the OP was referring....

and yw
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
bpb
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

In my experience, otos are much happier in groups. They tend to become inactive and possibly die when kept alone or in too sparsely spread groups. Only problem then is keeping the group well fed enough to stay happy.
bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #8
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
In my experience, otos are much happier in groups. They tend to become inactive and possibly die when kept alone or in too sparsely spread groups. Only problem then is keeping the group well fed enough to stay happy.
Now that I have Oto's I'll never consider a pleco. Be prepared though that in my experience I've had no better than a 50% survival rate. For my new 75g I started with 4 and I have 2 several months later. My tank is pretty heavily planted so getting algae to grow is a little tough. I'm running 3 54w T5HO 12 hours a day and still not getting enough. I've heard they like blanched zucchini so I'll try that in the next few days to make sure they have enough to eat.
The Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

I didn't realize otos like to be in groups - mine keeps zooming up to the black tetras like it is one of them. I think the similar markings throw it off. (I'm trying very hard to be gender neutral since my earlier comment to kamikazi - lol)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 AM   #10
JSA
Algae Grower

I love my pleco. He (she?) keeps my 55g well scrubbed and is a highly entertaining character. I've never seen him bother any of the others. He does seem to be omniverous in the sense that he will go after whatever falls to the bottom, whether algae tablets or shrimp pellets.

Julia
Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
AdamP.
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

i recently got 3 Paratocinclus (pit bull pleco). They are super active and do a good job scouring everything for algae and biofilm. I fishless cycled my 75 gallon and when it was done there was bio film slime on every surface. In one night after adding them the tank was spotless. Paratocinclus are like larger, hardier versions of Otocinclus.

They like to be in groups of their own species, but seem to get along well with other fish. I have 1 lonely oto that I added from my other tank and he hangs out with them soemtimes and theres no aggression. My rummynose tetras actually bully the pit bull plecos at feeding time, they give a nip to the plecs if they think the plec has found some food.

paratocinclus = best algae eater ever in my opinion.
AdamP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

It's really a matter of size and taste, Oto's are very small and very hard workers with diatoms being their favorite food. Most complain of acclimation problems with Oto's and have long drawn out acclimation routines and they still lose half their stock, but Oto's are nervous fish so make the ride home from the LFS short and direct, right away dump them into a breeders net over a large pan so they don't go sink and put them right into the tank, they will hide for a couple weeks (except at night) then you will see them all the time. Most Oto loses are from a case of nerves looking into the new tank during the acclimation and the whole time just wanting to go hide.

Plecos I know very little about but have read some like the Bristle Nosed are very good cleaners but with most being 3 to 5 inches or larger I have never really considered a fish that large in my tank. I did almost get a Queen Arabesque at one point because of their striking skin pattern, but again too large for me. This is one of the smaller Plecos and it is shy and well suited for a community tank, good luck.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:37 AM   #13
valerietheangel
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I did almost get a Queen Arabesque at one point because of their striking skin pattern, but again too large for me. This is one of the smaller Plecos and it is shy and well suited for a community tank, good luck.
Queen Arabesques are almost exclusively carnivorous plecos. They eat shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworms.

With plecos, it's all about research. My husband and I love fancy plecos which can be fussy and have very specific feeding requirements. That said, I also have a common pleco that I've had since 1998 that is by far my favorite fish in our collection. He really is a pet with a personality to boot. I bought him as a 1" .99c special at Petsmart and he is now a whopping 16" of fun.

Some plecos eat algae, some don't. You have to research the species you have. Your "HiFin" is actually probably a Gibbiceps and can reach 17". Here's more info on gibbys here: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=148

It sounds like it might be best for you to return the gibby. Bristlenoses should do better staying within your space constraints while still performing the algae control you want. You should still supplement their diets with fresh veggies like zucchini and sweet potato and you can also give them shrimp pellets.
valerietheangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 AM   #14
Wendeli
Algae Grower

I actually like the chinese algae eaters, though there is the aggression problem that you have to deal with later on.

I've never kept a pleco so can't really give you a comparison, but my experience with ottos is they're relatively fragile. When I have to start cramming or have a huge workload and have to skip a water change I find my ottos start to drop dead soon after. They also don't do too great of a job with cleaning your tank. I've only ever kept them in groups of 3 or 4 for my 40 gal and 1 for my 10 so it may be the numbers, but I've never seen a significant change in algae growth with them eating away at it. You shouldn't have a problem with keeping them fed as long as you have some algae in your tank and they take algae wafers willingly. They're great community fish though and big enough not to be attacked by anything as large as an angelfish or discus.

If you want a lot of small algae eaters these are definitely the best choice.
Wendeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #15
Bettacrazy
Planted Tank Obsessed

you could try a group of otos and a clown pleco.
Bettacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote