Need Identification, Diatoms or BBA?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #1
Bruce6000
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need Identification, Diatoms or BBA?

I think I nailed it down to diatoms or BBA, or possibly something else. I'm still trying to get my tank dialed in. I cut back from 12 to 8 hours. Running DIY CO2, canister filter, dual 26 Watt CFLs, one 6500K one 5500K at 6" above water level.

Thanks!

Bruce6000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
rick dale
Planted Member

Default algae

I have recently expirienced this myself. Its bba. Not easy to get rid of , especially with diy co2. Inconsistent co2 levels is a real problem with this type algae. You really need to go with pressurized co2 if possible. I put it off , and put it off not wanting to spend the money. But , since I have , I kick myself for not doing it sooner. Start reading everything you can about bba.
rick dale is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #3
Bruce6000
Algae Grower

I think it's gonna be a no-go for pressurized CO2 anytime in the near future. DIY CO2 doesn't have an off switch, but do you think it would help if I pulled the airstone at lights off?
Old 10-09-2014, 02:59 AM   #4
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

You can start by not running your lights as long, probably best to cut back to 6hrs. Then I would suggest buying excel or making yourself your own batch with glut. Glutaraldehyde the active ingredient in excel not only serves as an organic carbon source but it also has algicidal properties, in that it will kill or choke out algae you have in there. I've been battling a pretty tough BBA outbreak in my 75 gallon and let me tell you it was BAD. I slowly increased the dose of glut each week. Now into week 4 the BBA is turning yellowish and is becoming weak. Large water changes also help

You'll get it, it just takes time. Good luck
AlecFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 03:39 AM   #5
Bruce6000
Algae Grower

Thanks man, I'll see if I can find some excel at my LFS. I'm already doing massive water changes- 50% every 3 days- reason being the water still has cloudiness from the MGOC, I guess that's keeping it in check somewhat.

I also noticed the BBA really started to take off when I added my second light source (before I just had the single 26W CFL), so yeah I think cutting back to 6 hours and dosing excel might do the trick. Thanks again for the tips guys!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
dzega
Planted Tank Enthusiast

excess light, low co2 and high organics in water is what makes this algae thrive.

the cure would be something like lower lights, use excel/glut, pressurized co2 if possible, purigen in filter or WC, stable fert schelude
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce6000 View Post

I also noticed the BBA really started to take off when I added my second light source (before I just had the single 26W CFL), so yeah I think cutting back to 6 hours and dosing excel might do the trick. Thanks again for the tips guys!

You might have just too much light period. I never caught the tank size here, but think about intensity verses coverage.

As in, two 15 watt CFLs will cover better, but be less intense than a single 26 watt. Those CFLs really kick out the light, I think people underestimate them because they are so inexpensive.

Food for though.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #8
Bruce6000
Algae Grower

I think you might be right, Daximus. I'm kind of new to the hobby and I've been getting the sense that more isn't necessarily better when it comes to lighting. I've been making adjustments (changing the photoperiod and height) as mentioned. I do like the growth I'm getting but if algae doesn't improve, next step might be to reduce the wattage.

BTW it's a 15 Gallon but with all the substrate it's more like 10.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.