Aquascaping tools...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-11-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
m3th0d
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquascaping tools...

I was thinkin' about buying the Aquascaping Tool Kit at AZ Aquatic Gardens but paying 50 bucks for some scissors and tweezers is a little bit crazy, especially for a low-budget student like me. Is there anywhere I can get this kinda stuff for cheaper? I know there has to be some beauty salon places etc. out there that sells this stuff at wholesale price.
m3th0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 05:32 AM   #2
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

I would never pay that much for those tools. That is a gimmick sale like when an auto parts store tries to sell you the most expensive platinum super hyper firing spark plugs. IMO all you really need is a decent pair of stainless scissors and some large tweezers. Buy a pair of scissors for $4 and a pair of tweezers. I don't know where you can buy larger tweezers though, perhaps at a medical supply house. When I was an EMT, I borrowed mine from a hospital I used to frequent
Old 02-11-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

PTrader: (11/100%)

Have you asked your local pet store? We're in small town USA and hubby stocks them (giant tweezers) in his store. Because of shoplifting he keeps them under the counter rather than out on display, so it's possible one of your local stores has them tucked away somewhere. He brought mine home when he saw me using eyebrow tweezers to plant glosso--said he'd never thought to offer them to his fish customers; he'd always considered them a reptile item.

My tanks
observant_imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
Opiesilver
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You think that's expensive. Go check out the prices for Amano's equipment. Can you say sticker shock?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by observant_imp
<snip>... Because of shoplifting he keeps them under the counter rather than out on display,... <snip>
Man, it's getting sad when people shoplift tweezers! The other day I was in the local Wally World (yeah, I shop there but only when no one can see me) picking up a DVD. All the DVD's of course were locked up in cases and I had to scrounge up a clerk to release my choice. After my $25 purchase I was following the hubby around the electronics and happened to look up and see a $150 trigonometric (I guess) calculator stocked with a bunch of other pricey calcs on the aisle. I remarked why the heck aren't these locked up? Hubby's reply, "Oh, no one wants to steal those."

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
Gill Man
Algae Grower

Tongs.com has giant tweezers for those of us with deep tanks. I'm on my way now to pick up my 18-incher at the Post Office. My tank is 24 inches tall with a 6 inch rim. They're relatively inexpensive, but handy as heck.

http://www.tongs.com/shop/index.php?GrID=43&PrID=41
Gill Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #7
Creedog
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default tongs.com?

Damn, there really is a website for everything.
Creedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

>Have you asked your local pet store? We're in small town USA and hubby >stocks them (giant tweezers) in his store. Because of shoplifting he keeps >them under the counter rather than out on display, so it's possible one of >your local stores has them tucked away somewhere. He brought mine home >when he saw me using eyebrow tweezers to plant glosso--said he'd never >thought to offer them to his fish customers; he'd always considered them a >reptile item.

Man, I wish the LFS's around here stocked things like that. Come to think of it, the only *plant* related aquarium items I've even seen are flourite and onyx (only at 1 place) and fertilizers like Laterite and Flourish. It seems that us planted tank enthousiasts are in the minority. I'm guessing its similar to all the lecture halls when I was in college having right handed desks(except a few on the ends) -- I'm left-handed so go figure...

Overfloater -- nice avatar of Megatron! lol haven't seen that in years.

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
ThomE
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to ThomE Send a message via Yahoo to ThomE

You're investing the money for the quality of steel/ titanium and how long it will hold the sharpness. I purchased mine thru a medical store. It was nice at first, but I've been using my fingers for most of the work. If I had to do it over again, I would pick up one from a generic store or even ebay. Just make sure its stainless steel to avoid rust.
ThomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:07 PM   #10
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
Overfloater -- nice avatar of Megatron! lol haven't seen that in years.
Thanks.. I get comments on him occasionally. I think most people have no idea what my avatar is..
Old 02-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #11
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Here's what I use:
1) scissors bought from DrsFosterSmith.com

2) Ace hardware stores in my area (maybe yours, too) sell 10-12" (?) tweezers near the registers. I think they're $3 or $4

I don't think it's worth spending more IMHO.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:39 PM   #12
scolley
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3th0d
paying 50 bucks for some scissors and tweezers is a little bit crazy
I feel the same way, but found I could not live without 1 long pair of scissors and 1 long set of tweezers. So I got:

Amazon Tweezer 12" w/ Serrated Handle: $12.99
11" Straight Sharp End Kelly Scissors: $14.99

From AZ Gardens, and could not be happier. Though I do find that I value the tweezers more than the scissors. And the 11-12" range is long enough because my tank is only a 20g.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

check out www.drsfostersmith.com
Tweezers are about $4, scissors about $5.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #14
m3th0d
Planted Member

The stuff at drsfostersmith.com are pretty dang cheap! But the scissors are a bit shorter than what I'm lookin' for.

The stuff at AZ Gardens is perfect but way too expensive. I might just do what scolley did and just buy a pair of scissors and tweezers. I need the scissors more than anything else. I don't need the combo pack. I have a gravel flattener already.. a huge spackling knife from the 99c store. I know, ghetto.
m3th0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:50 AM   #15
Gill Man
Algae Grower

I picked up my 18 inch tweezers from the PO this morning and started using them this evening. They're stainless, but not at 'polished' as the German-made 12 inch ones I've been using. They're both very handy for deep tanks. A note about ordering from Tongs.com, your order needs to be at least $25 to qualify for free shipping. My tongs were $24.95, so I got a 20ml syringe for $2.95. They threw in a free T-shirt as well, probably with their logo.

Just got another notice from the USPS today that I have yet another package waiting, this time my dry ferts. Why can't they deliver at night? I hate going to the PO as much as I hate going to a bank...lots of old people with multiple transactions, etc... I'm sure it's just me.
Gill Man is offline   Reply With Quote