Help with ecopico tank!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
lessandler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Help with ecopico tank!

Hello

I am new to this forum and planted tank in general. I have a fluval edge and chi each with one betta and some anubias and java ferns and Tahitian Moon black sand. But I would like to get one more (I hope the last!) tank and I only have space for a small tank. And I would like to grow a greater variety of plants.

Would this http://www.ecoxotic.com/led-aquarium.../eco-pico.html tank work to grow plants successfully? Do I need an additional LED strip or 2? I want to do a no CO2 setup and one where I do not have to do a great deal of maintenence in terms of trimming and pruning. And not have so much light that I will be struggling with algae problems. The sole inhabitant would be another betta.

Does anyone have any scape ideas or plant suggestions for this set up or successfully grown a nice scape in one?

Thank you for reading!!
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
luke20037
Planted Tank Enthusiast

crypts are slow growing, low maintainance and low light levels too!
luke20037 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
demonr6
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessandler View Post
But I would like to get one more (I hope the last!) tank and I only have space for a small tank.
I am going to tell you right now that you can throw that statement out the window. One last tank is a grand notion till you find one more last tank. And the next. It just keeps going.
The Fraternity of Dirt #5
I'm dirty

My Finnex 4 Tank Journal-RETIRED 20L Rimless Journal-started 12-20 55L Journal-NEW 06-12

.sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
luke20037
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonr6 View Post
I am going to tell you right now that you can throw that statement out the window. One last tank is a grand notion till you find one more last tank. And the next. It just keeps going.

lol i said that after my first now got three!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
lessandler
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for your replies...and healthy doses of realism too

I think I will go with this tank. If I do crypts, anubias, and java fern, do I need the additional strip or will the extra strip just cause algae. Here are the specs for the first LED strip:

Light spectrum: 12K White & 460nm Actinic Blue
Total watts: 3 watts

I think if I got another it would be 3 more watts but just white since the blue is more for corals yes? Figured I would need this but my other plants are all LED (I replaced the halogens on the fluval edge) and do not fit within the 2 watts per gallon rule and seem to be doing okay. That rule doesn't necessary apply to LEDs yes?

Sorry I am totally new to this!

And what substrate or fertilization would one need for crypts?

Thanks again
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
luke20037
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/t...uminants/67391

this kind of light will work well for plants, this is an example obviously you aint gonna order form the uk! This has a pink tinge to the light.

Crypts are low demanding so if you used sand and a fertilizer like root medic, which are little tablets you bury in the sand, you will be doing great. Also I like to dose weekly a liquid fertilizer, the dose is dependant on size of tank, the info will be on the bottle when you buy it. An added extra, isntead of buying expnsive co2 system, daily dose liquid carbon, which does basically the same thing!
Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
trackhazard
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

The eco pico led should be fine for low light plants. The only reason you would want to swap it out is if you didn't like the colors you get from it and wanted something warmer.

-Charlie
Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
lnstevens
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

That is actually a really cool looking concept tank. I would like to see a journal when you get it.
lnstevens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Sparky007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I set one up about a month ago, I got two extra light strips with it, both all white. I have easy plants in it for now to cycle it and they are all growing like weeds. Definitely enough light. The filter that comes with it is a little small so I put a zoomed 501 on it as well. It's a fun tank. If I could figure out how to post pictures id put some up. Let us know what you decide to do. It would be good to have some more ecopico folks out there.
Sparky007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.