Wisteria
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 02-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
alfdawg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wisteria

I put wisteria in my 29g about a week and half ago. It is doing awesome. I have a couple of questions though.

1) The older leaves are a pale green to almost white. Is this normal? Is it needing something?

2) Clippings. What or how do I do clippings from the plant to start more?

Thanks
alfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
ThomE
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to ThomE Send a message via Yahoo to ThomE

Hello alfdawg,

What are your water parameters? And light level? This might be cause by the top shading the bottom parts.

When I trim mine, I cut about an inch below where a branch comes away from the stem. I'm not sure if it's the best place, but the bottom becomes bushier and I can replant the top.

HTH,
Thom
ThomE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
alfdawg
Algae Grower

I'm at work so I will have to get those for you. My light is a little under 2 watts per gallon. Its not the bottom leaves though it's the top. The new sprouts that are coming out are good and green. I guess it's most of the leaves that were on the plant when i put it in. Since I have had it in I have had about 5 or 6 new sprouts and all of them have reached the others in size and bigger. I have aslo notice some browning on the leaves and a little on a couple of stems. I have had a problem with BA and thats why I decided to try plants. They seem to be working as I have already notice a change in tank.

Thanks on the advice of trimming. I affraid of cutting them though. I don't want to hurt the palnts. I'm still new at this as these are the first plants I have ever tried.
alfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfdawg
Thanks on the advice of trimming. I affraid of cutting them though. I don't want to hurt the palnts. I'm still new at this as these are the first plants I have ever tried.
Don't be afraid. Just pinch them where it divides and plant the tops back in. Its not even that important where you clip it as long as you leave some leaves on the remaining portion it'll send off new shoots. Before you know it, you'll have more wysteria than you know what to do with. It's almost impossible to kill this stuff.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.