Finally starting out!! Do I have evrything to get started?? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 04:17 AM   #16
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

WOW, wuzent trying to argue with any one, just trying to give the most up to date, and widely accepted information. No reason to lash out like that. I'll just shut up now because it seems like anything i have to say is going to be torn apart. Some people just have a god complex i guess.
jreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 AM   #17
dwc13
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
You didn't mention fish - make sure you'll have an appropriate number for that size, and that they'll get along. And don't forget about a janitorial crew.

Good call on the janitorial crew. The Corys and Ottos in my tank work wonders at times.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 AM   #18
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

you did forget some minor things.
surge protector(s), and timer(s).
Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #19
PattyCakes81
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
even tho your going low tech you will probably want some kind of ferst besides root tabs.
and btw "functioning as a holding tank for water allowing it to dechlorinate without adding chemicals" this is false. chlorine will break down over time, but chloramine wont.
Thanks jreich! Besides the root tabs, should I get Flourish and Excel? Because Drs Foster and Smith have a "fundamentals plnat kit". Fundamentals Kit includes Flourish, Flourish Iron, and Flourish Excel for $11.69. Should I get this instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
The air pump, tubing, and check valve are unnecessary, especially since you've got a HOB filter. You didn't mention fish - make sure you'll have an appropriate number for that size, and that they'll get along. And don't forget about a janitorial crew.

Foreground - dwarf sag, crypt parva, HM
Mid - could really be anything. More crypts?
Back - hygrophilas, ludwigias

Just picking basic, low-demand plants. There are a ton out there. Try the sticky on low-light plants in the plant forum.
Thanks for your response kevmo! The air pump and air accessories are for a DIY Bio and sponge filter I want to have inside the Main Tank so it can be ready to use in the Hospital/QT tank if I needed. If this isn't practical, do you have any suggestions on how to have a backup seeded "filter" to use on my QT tank when the time arise?

I will be mostly contrating on small peaceful community fishes like:

Dwarf Gouramis
Celestial Pearl Danios
Platies (I know get all males or I'll have a "Platy Factory" )
Cardinal or Neon Tetras
Of course getting some Cories (love cories)
Red Cherry Shrimp
1 Nerite Snail

Thanks for the plant suggestions!! They are all very nice. I will go check out the low plant sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc13 View Post
OP -

Does the Lee's gravel vac come with a hose that is considerably shorter than 25' (say, 5' to 6')? If not, you might want to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a shorter length of tubing that will fit the gravel vac. I haven't used the Lee's gravel vac so I don't have firsthand knowledge as to how well it works, but I would think there are times you wouldn't want to deal with 25' of tubing -- like those occassions when it's just easier or more efficient to use a 5G bucket to collect the siphoned water rather than connecting the device to a faucet. I undestand why aquarists with larger aquariums would be interested in something like this (or the Python), but even on my 45H I'm only changing at most 2 5G buckets worth of water (excluding an emergency situation) so carrying buckets is no big deal.
Thanks dwc13 for all your tips!! The Lee's kit didn't come with a shorter hose. You do make a good and understandable point in getting a shorter hose as well.

Quote:
you did forget some minor things.
surge protector(s), and timer(s).
Oh! I did get GFCI surge protectors but I forgot about the timers for my lights!! Thanks for the reminder!!
PattyCakes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #20
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

java fern, crypts, melon sword are all good choices for low light, low tech tanks. oh and anubias

as far as chlorine and chloramine go you are definitely covered with Prime.
"Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia."

I find that having a aquarium use only towel and washcloth comes in handy for drips, spills, splashes and wiping off the outside glass.

Last edited by kamikazi; 07-21-2011 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: for a plant
kamikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

dry ferts are generally cheaper than liquid. So I would look into those. Look into EI dosing that might help you out.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #22
PattyCakes81
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikazi View Post
java fern, crypts, melon sword are all good choices for low light, low tech tanks. oh and anubias

as far as chlorine and chloramine go you are definitely covered with Prime.
"Prime® is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime® removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia."

I find that having a aquarium use only towel and washcloth comes in handy for drips, spills, splashes and wiping off the outside glass.
Thanks for the tip on aquarium only towels and washcloths, kamikazi!!

Quote:
dry ferts are generally cheaper than liquid. So I would look into those. Look into EI dosing that might help you out.
Thanks kamikazi!! I'll look into dry ferts and the EI method.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #23
jreich
Planted Tank Guru

+1 on the ei method. when you buy the pre made liquid ferts your paying mostly for water. All those liquid ferts will only last you a few months at best, but if you were willing to spend about 20 more bux you can have enough ferts to last you 1 - 2+ years. check out www.greenleafaquariums.com a fellow forum member owns that place, he is a really nice, and knowledgable person. He has some decent fert packages.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #24
PattyCakes81
Algae Grower

Question

Quote:
+1 on the ei method. when you buy the pre made liquid ferts your paying mostly for water. All those liquid ferts will only last you a few months at best, but if you were willing to spend about 20 more bux you can have enough ferts to last you 1 - 2+ years. check out www.greenleafaquariums.com a fellow forum member owns that place, he is a really nice, and knowledgable person. He has some decent fert packages.
Thanks jreich! I guess am going with dry ferts! If going with dry ferts, do i still use the root tabs? But went to the site you recommended, I was like !! All these different things to choose from I am stump. What to choose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRy ferts 1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	32873  

Old 07-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #25
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

With CaribSea Instant Aquarium Freshwater Substrate the sag, crypt hygrophilas, don't need ferts. Ludwigia repens would need the Seachem flourish 5ml weekly. With low light you don't need to dose a lot. Thus liquid seems no more expensive than dry. Especially if you can get it on line without paying for shipping as is at LNT.com.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #26
PattyCakes81
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
With CaribSea Instant Aquarium Freshwater Substrate the sag, crypt hygrophilas, don't need ferts. Ludwigia repens would need the Seachem flourish 5ml weekly. With low light you don't need to dose a lot. Thus liquid seems no more expensive than dry. Especially if you can get it on line without paying for shipping as is at LNT.com.
Thanks Hilde!! I did take chemistry in HS, but man did I get overwhelmed with all the ferts!! So getting excel is a no-no or should I get it?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:08 AM   #27
Leah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyCakes81 View Post

Thanks for your response kevmo! The air pump and air accessories are for a DIY Bio and sponge filter I want to have inside the Main Tank so it can be ready to use in the Hospital/QT tank if I needed. If this isn't practical, do you have any suggestions on how to have a backup seeded "filter" to use on my QT tank when the time arises?
Hi. From something that I read elsewhere on this site, I think that if you have the bio and sponge filter in the main tank that it will get seeded with bacteria in any case. The idea is that there is enough water circulation from main filter that the other media will also get fed. However, you would need the air pump for the QT in any case, right? Also, I have been told that it's good to run an air stone in your main tank. Don't know if that's true, however, and I note that those with more experience aren't telling you to do so!

Leah
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 AM   #28
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyCakes81 View Post
So getting excel is a no-no or should I get it?
Oh, forgot about the excel, for I don't consider it a fert. Yes you need it. Beware there are some plants that are sensitive to it like Vals. Eser21 #7 posted- Vals melt when excel is suddenly introduced... just do 1/4 of recommended dose for a week then 1/2... then they will all be fine. Most people talk about melting when they use it for algae treatment at 2x the dose rate. Then vals and most grasses will react very badly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
You would need the air pump for the QT in any case, right?
Been told that it's good to run an air stone in your main tank.
A QT is a good idea but any filter will work.
Only tanks I have seen that use an air stone are those that inject Co2.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
kamikazi
Planted Tank Guru

You can use a 5 gallon bucket as a QT tank, just pump a powerhead with sponge pre-filter on it for circulation and a little filtration.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #30
PattyCakes81
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Hi. From something that I read elsewhere on this site, I think that if you have the bio and sponge filter in the main tank that it will get seeded with bacteria in any case. The idea is that there is enough water circulation from main filter that the other media will also get fed. However, you would need the air pump for the QT in any case, right? Also, I have been told that it's good to run an air stone in your main tank. Don't know if that's true, however, and I note that those with more experience aren't telling you to do so!

Leah
Thanks Leah for all your great points and tips!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Oh, forgot about the excel, for I don't consider it a fert. Yes you need it. Beware there are some plants that are sensitive to it like Vals. Eser21 #7 posted- Vals melt when excel is suddenly introduced... just do 1/4 of recommended dose for a week then 1/2... then they will all be fine. Most people talk about melting when they use it for algae treatment at 2x the dose rate. Then vals and most grasses will react very badly

A QT is a good idea but any filter will work.
Only tanks I have seen that use an air stone are those that inject Co2.
Thanks Hilde!

So yes on the excel, but introduce it slow if I have Vals. Thanks for finding the quote!!

Quote:
You can use a 5 gallon bucket as a QT tank, just pump a powerhead with sponge pre-filter on it for circulation and a little filtration.
Thanks for the tip kamikazi. I do have three 5 gallon buckets just for the tank. So I might use that as my QT and leave my 10 gallon for another tank! Yeaaaaa! More Fishy!!