philly area swap list. great for local pickups! - Page 99
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #1471
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Yep good point. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to try to modify a high pressure system of any kind unless youre pretty sure you know what your doing. Work in constuction, plumbing etc. If your not confident that you can do it safely than its a recipie for distaster. Plug and play on a proven system is anyone's best bet unless you have expirience on modifying a regulator or anything else involved. Especially with a compressed gas like co2 lol.
I already blew the seal out of one of these regulator when I was messing around with it on a floor stapler.

BTW Dan. These makes great keyboard and computer cleaner (compressed co2). Beat buying cans of compressed air cleaner at staples.
__________________
Van
discusonly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #1472
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru
 
The Trigger's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
I already blew the seal out of one of these regulator when I was messing around with it on a floor stapler.

BTW Dan. These makes great keyboard and computer cleaner (compressed co2). Beat buying cans of compressed air cleaner at staples.
Yep it happens. Guy I know got a needle valve and tried to fit it on a beer regulator and the seal was bad..... When he opened the main cylinder valve, the needle valve shot off across the room and went right through the front and right out of the back of his 20" Sony lcd computer screen lol.
__________________
The Trigger is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #1473
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Yep it happens. Guy I know got a needle valve and tried to fit it on a beer regulator and the seal was bad..... When he opened the main cylinder valve, the needle valve shot off across the room and went right through the front and right out of the back of his 20" Sony lcd computer screen lol.
Hahahahah! Amateur!!! Lol i deal with that stuff all day long. High pressures don't bother me. But since dan has a nice manicure , i think he's better off with the plug and play, unless he's not in a rush and i can build one of van's setups for him.
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #1474
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 606
Default

Bill,

I'll watch and see how you set one up. I may try to fix the regulator with the broken seal and set one up as well.

BTW. I found some co2 tubing in the ferts box. Let me know if you need any. Price is whatever GLA charged me. I was mistaken in my earlier post. This last order came from GLA instead of the other place.
__________________
Van
discusonly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #1475
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
Bill,

I'll watch and see how you set one up. I may try to fix the regulator with the broken seal and set one up as well.

BTW. I found some co2 tubing in the ferts box. Let me know if you need any. Price is whatever GLA charged me. I was mistaken in my earlier post. This last order came from GLA instead of the other place.
I'm actually good with tubing, i have more than i can use as well...lol setting them up isn't that difficult. Should be a matter of just threading in a needle valve and it should be good to go
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #1476
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ThinkTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
Hahahahah! Amateur!!! Lol i deal with that stuff all day long. High pressures don't bother me. But since dan has a nice manicure , i think he's better off with the plug and play, unless he's not in a rush and i can build one of van's setups for him.
LOL!
I don't mind a little DIY, but for this i'd rather just get it premade instead of shopping for parts and putting it together (knowing me it'd take 3 trips to home depot). I don't think I could piece it together for much less anyway.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #1477
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 606
Default

Dan,

The link you posted is a good deal. DIY is always great for folks who want to tinker with things. My only question for you is do you see going to full bottle CO2 down the line? If so, I would rather invest the money into a $90 new regulator and find yourself a used co2 tank on CL.
__________________
Van
discusonly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #1478
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ThinkTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by discusonly View Post
Dan,

The link you posted is a good deal. DIY is always great for folks who want to tinker with things. My only question for you is do you see going to full bottle CO2 down the line? If so, I would rather invest the money into a $90 new regulator and find yourself a used co2 tank on CL.
Hard to say so i'm starting small. Theres always another tank to move the PB setup to if I upgrade down the line

Any guess on how long a 20oz tank will last on a 55g?
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #1479
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 606
Default

I have no idea. Smallest CO2 setup I've used was a 5lbs tank in my 90gal when I first started out. 5lbs tank lasted a few months for me. I would be surprised if you get more than a month.
__________________
Van
discusonly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #1480
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,236
Default

Depending on flow and no leaks, 2-3 months. Refills are $4 at dick's and the 5th is free.
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #1481
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,236
Default

My co2 splitter came in today, so i can give you guys a review. Dan, this splitter should work well as long as all tanks are in close proximity to each other and will allow them all to work off a large tank. Beats spending $300 on a custom manifold.
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #1482
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
ThinkTank's Avatar
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
My co2 splitter came in today, so i can give you guys a review. Dan, this splitter should work well as long as all tanks are in close proximity to each other and will allow them all to work off a large tank. Beats spending $300 on a custom manifold.
Good to know My 10g shrimp tank is on the bottom of the metal stand so I may try that down the road once I get some CRS juvies - waiting for the eggs to pop so I can see if I have it dialed in now.

Ordered the CO2 setup. Thanks for the help and tips everyone!

Van - I can stop over next week for the tank - let me know when is good for you. And thanks again for dropping those vals off last week!
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #1483
discusonly
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
discusonly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mt. Laurel NJ
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Good to know My 10g shrimp tank is on the bottom of the metal stand so I may try that down the road once I get some CRS juvies - waiting for the eggs to pop so I can see if I have it dialed in now.

Ordered the CO2 setup. Thanks for the help and tips everyone!

Van - I can stop over next week for the tank - let me know when is good for you. And thanks again for dropping those vals off last week!
You are welcome Dan. I only pulled the young runner cause the older ones do have some bba. I am pretty confident they will grow for you.

I'll save a 20oz bottle for you. No rush.
__________________
Van
discusonly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #1484
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru
 
Fishies_in_Philly's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: phila., PA
Posts: 2,236
Default

Van, i'll see ya next fri night. Much to do this weekend if i wanna go fishing sunday morning
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #1485
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (19/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philidelphia, PA
Posts: 655
Default

Got some free window glass today I haven't taken it out of the frames yet so I don't know how thick it is. Anyone have any tips for me when I start doing some DIY tanks? It measures 24x32 each sheet and I have 16 sheets. A couple are cracked though so not all is usable. Wish I could make a 32x24x12, that would be awesome. I don't think the glass is thick enough though...could be wrong.

I'll likely just make a handful of low profile 5 gallon tanks because that is the only size tank I really wish I had more of.
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012